Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #21

I “redid” the battery compartment by removing in the shelf above the batteries first. I used 1 1/2 inch alum angle iron to go the width of the compartment. Used self tapping screws to hold it down with spacing for the length of the battery to fit snug between the front lip of the compartment and the angle iron. I run 4 batteries across. I placed the shelf back in above the batteries but not screwed down. This allows easy removal for checking water level in the batteries. Space across the compartment is just a bit wider then 4 batteries so filled in the excess space with a wood block cut the size. Works great by keeping the batteries from moving around.
B&W Companion Hitch
Westyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #22

How did you remove the shelf, cut off disk?
RMRoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMRoper View Post
How did you remove the shelf, cut off disk?
The shelf is held in place with 2 screws on each side and I believe just one to the rear.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizons28 View Post
I have a 2018 321RSTS fiver. I equiped it with a 5.5kw generator up front. The battery compartment is between the generator and the side OD side of the compartment. The compartment is 2 batteries deep and has a tray that would allow the stacking of 2 more on top of teh lower pair. The problem is that it is nearly impossible to access the rear batteries for maintenance with out removing the front ones.

Has anyone tried to put sliding trays into the compartment to allow the batterries to slide out for easy maintenance and replacement?
I installed heavy duty full extension drawer slides from Lowe's with angle bracket and exterior 1/2" plywood. that lets you both batteries fully out to check them out. you will need to extend the wires on the connection to allow for the extended action. Should work for two more. I just received four new Battle Born 100 AMP Lithiuim Ion batteries and they are going in the warm storage so my battery compartment will soon be empty and ready for a different storage solution.
jrupleyabq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:56 PM   #25

So what i did was take 3/4 plywood from home depot to make battery base. Cut two 2 inch strips of same plywood and glue and screw to bottom of that base. Using same plywood, i cut to fit side of metal battery box. Remove that useless center metal shelf and attach plywood to outside of each side of metal box. Use hole saw and drill hole in right wood side panel so existing wire pass through the wood and then the metal box. Mark and drill 1inch up bottem edge of metal frame and install HD drawer slides using that outer plywood as metal box stiffener. Screw inner drawer slide into the lower 2 inch strips to put under wooden drawer base. I used 22 inch drawer slides as the front to back of metal box was like 23 or so inches.... install drawer into metal box. I used two series 24 marine battery trays screwed to that wooden drawer base and used existing battery cables. Paint entire wood black. Dump the existing crappy circuit breaker ans install door style circuit breaker and your done.....
DBuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #26

Here’s my battery compartment mod
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...mod-65624.html
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #27

I ORDERED MY UNIT--321 RSTS 2017

With gen prep, then decided to go with Battle-Born battery set up, so I removed all the sheet metal, pushed the walls out, re-enforced the floor with 2 sheets of PT plywood 3/4 each-- and here's the photo--- I do have an inverter, solar, and a Battery to Battery charger system never looked back--very quiet ---no noise compared to a generator system, total weight of the Batterys 224 pounds, for 800 amps of useable power
Attached Thumbnails
20190827_113627.jpg  
Puddle Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:25 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle Pirate View Post
I ORDERED MY UNIT--321 RSTS 2017

With gen prep, then decided to go with Battle-Born battery set up, so I removed all the sheet metal, pushed the walls out, re-enforced the floor with 2 sheets of PT plywood 3/4 each-- and here's the photo--- I do have an inverter, solar, and a Battery to Battery charger system never looked back--very quiet ---no noise compared to a generator system, total weight of the Batterys 224 pounds, for 800 amps of useable power
I LOVE your setup.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:13 AM   #29

Battery Switch Disconnect

Attached is the switch setup I created for my rig. 2021 Pinnacle.

I have 3 batteries. One switch for each battery, these are the 3 red switches in a row. 1 Switch for the whole coach, this is the red switch by it self. 2 Inverters each with its own switch, these are the 2 black switches. The whole setup is mounted to a plastic panel. For easy install and service.

When I dry camp. I will leave one battery switch off over night and rotate which switch is off nightly. Just in case I kill the battery through heavy inverter usage.

Mounted the batteries on a slide. Wrapped the slide battery cables with hydraulic line wrap. This helps them move in and out with the slide.

The plywood box is an exact replica of the Pinnacle battery compartment. Fabricated the setup off line.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery 1.jpg   Battery 2.jpg   Battery 3.jpg   Battery 4.jpg  
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTC View Post
Attached is the switch setup I created for my rig. 2021 Pinnacle.

I have 3 batteries. One switch for each battery, these are the 3 red switches in a row. 1 Switch for the whole coach, this is the red switch by it self. 2 Inverters each with its own switch, these are the 2 black switches. The whole setup is mounted to a plastic panel. For easy install and service.

When I dry camp. I will leave one battery switch off over night and rotate which switch is off nightly. Just in case I kill the battery through heavy inverter usage.

Mounted the batteries on a slide. Wrapped the slide battery cables with hydraulic line wrap. This helps them move in and out with the slide.

The plywood box is an exact replica of the Pinnacle battery compartment. Fabricated the setup off line.
NICE

What is the size of the battery bank, and type of battery?

What inverter are u using and size?
Puddle Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #31

Nice clean wiring. Love it.
What’s up with the dual inverters? One 3000w would be enough
Old 12-23-2020, 10:26 PM   #32

2 Inverters

I used 2 2000 watt pure sine wave inveters. Each one is on one circuit. Wired in a dedicated circuit configuration. Very easy install with built in transfer switch. Inverter brand is Promarine.

The batteries are H8 95 AH AGM Interstate from Costco. Not the highest end battery. But high value performance/price. Easy to work with Costco on any returns.

Other factors. 5th Wheel is equipped with 5.5 generator, 2 190 watt solar panels, and an RV refrigerator.
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, tray