Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2023, 07:05 PM   #1

Jayco Pinnacle mice entry points

Ok, so I found evidence that mice entered my 5th Wheel over the winter. I am curious to know if anybody knows where the mice gets in. If you have "sealed" up your Pinnacle, where and how did you do that?
Old 05-22-2023, 07:07 PM   #2

It only takes a hole about the size of a pencil....
Old 05-22-2023, 07:40 PM   #3

Look under your propane tanks. Mine is wide open, about 1 ft x 2 ft. That's bigger than a pencil for sure.
Then look where the arms for your slides go through the frame. Large, unsealable holes. Then look everywhere else underneath, plenty of holes.

I seal up what I can, but repellant and sticky traps seem to be the only solution. Peppermint oil and cabin fresh seem to work for us, but everybody has their favorite method.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:12 PM   #4

Good point, the arms where they slide into frame. That’s virtually impossible to seal up I would think without damaging movement in that area???
fishinspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 05:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Look under your propane tanks. Mine is wide open, about 1 ft x 2 ft. That's bigger than a pencil for sure.
Then look where the arms for your slides go through the frame. Large, unsealable holes. Then look everywhere else underneath, plenty of holes.

I seal up what I can, but repellant and sticky traps seem to be the only solution. Peppermint oil and cabin fresh seem to work for us, but everybody has their favorite method.

X2, lots of entry points. Use Repellants, traps, glue boards, keep all food cleaned up. Pine sol and water, 50/50 in shallow trays and stinky cheap dryer sheets tucked in everywhere.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 05:51 AM   #6

I sealed every seam and hole I could find with Zip System tape from Lowe's. Still holding strong after a year. I got the idea to use it from a video of someone who had a Pinnacle. It probably won't stop a determined critter but it certainly reduces the odds. I went thru a 90 foot roll.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:29 PM   #7

I lay mice trap at the end of all of my slides they can come in down at the opening, I put some brillo pads but if they get pass them when they come in I will have supper waiting for them and when they go for it the trap will clap down on them, one time I haven't being to my rv in about one or two week and when I open the door, man the odor that hit my face, so at less I find where they were coming in at.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:45 PM   #8

I don't have that model but tried to block every entrance. In addition I made pet proof bait stations and keep them filled with mouse blocks. Better to kill them outside then rip up a wall to find the corpse. Just in case, I put out clue trap boxes. See Top Loader Bait Station on Amazon. I made them 1.5 inch plastic pipe. One at each wheel and tongue jack.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:40 PM   #9

I used that black expanding foam around the landing gear holes and cut it flush with a knife. I also used the expanding foam around the plumbing holes and other places. Long term storage, the trailer gets cleaned out of EVERYTHING and we put dryer sheets in EVERYTHING. Drawers, cabinets, counteracts, beds, outside compartments, everywhere.
Camping season storage at the house, I keep the mice away using snap traps and keep them baited and set. Mouse population around my house is VERY low. Lol!
Old 05-24-2023, 09:22 PM   #10

I sealed as much as possible but they will still find away into the belly. Besides the slide seals you can seal around all the plumbing and wires that come up thru the floor. The dining slide under floor rail has a large gap in the frame when open. At my camp I put steel wool in those rail openings. I have scent tags hanging on my jacks and by wheels. I spray bobcat urine on them weekly and mice stay away. I would have mice turds on chairs and everything left outside. Bobcat urine, no more turds.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:45 PM   #11

I have used the steel "box" traps, and I place one at every place they climb onto: tires and front landing gear. I place them inline with the tires, and also put some rat poison or peanut butter in there to entice them to go into the trap. They go in, but they don't come out.

I have not done it in our Pinnacle yet, but I have also placed glue traps in the underbelly. That way, IF they do get in, they find the trap, and get stuck on it. In the past, I've set a monthly check reminder on my phone to check to see if there are any on there, so that I can remove them.
Old 05-31-2023, 12:20 PM   #12

Check this video
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 03:04 PM   #13

I will probably regret saying this but last fall I got underneath on a mechanics crawler and went front to back and side to side with Pestblock Foam. I mean every gap even if it didn’t go to the underbelly.

Not one mouse.

Before that I would picking up their “breadcrumbs” every spring, no matter what camper I had.

https://www.greatstuff.dupont.com/pr...enser-gun.html
Old 05-31-2023, 06:06 PM   #14

I went to the our local animal shelter and got 2 cats that had been living outside near a store. I then put them some food under my RV and an old bed spread . We only feed them once a day and seem to be keeping all mice and rats away, we regularly find dead mice & rats around the RV so far so good this method works teal good if you live near a wooded area….
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:49 PM   #15

Forget trying to seal the belly or the basement….seal from the inside….take every drawer out of every cabinet, under the stove, sink, etc….there are holes in a lot of places you can’t see ….where all the wires and cables come in…and seal them off from the inside…if you have cabinets above in the back…each corner has a hole…seal them too…at the roof line…I found out from experience…lol…the pantry is the same way but basically impossible to seal it off completely….it’s not perfect but rarely do I get a mouse in my pinnacle I think 4 in the 5 years I have owned it…I do keep three of traps in the basement with cheese on them 365 days a year..I get them there before they get inside but they have fooled me….
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
I went to the our local animal shelter and got 2 cats that had been living outside near a store. I then put them some food under my RV and an old bed spread . We only feed them once a day and seem to be keeping all mice and rats away, we regularly find dead mice & rats around the RV so far so good this method works teal good if you live near a wooded area….
Cats are great for rodent control. Feed them enough to keep them around, but not enough so they're still looking for snacks.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracer View Post
Ok, so I found evidence that mice entered my 5th Wheel over the winter. I am curious to know if anybody knows where the mice gets in. If you have "sealed" up your Pinnacle, where and how did you do that?
Here’s my remedy for mice in the camper. Buy some glass shot glasses. Next soak some cotton balls in mint oil and put in shot glasses. Then place randomly around the camper. Easy!! This worked for us. Hopefully it will work for you as well!
Ellen1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:07 AM   #18

BTW do this in fall once you’ve winterized.
Ellen1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:19 PM   #19

All of the plumbing in the trailer, drains, water lines, holding tanks, water inlet lines, hot water tank are connected through multiple compartments. The propane lines and electric wiring is the same. The first Winter I stored my unit I found a mess from the mice. I said never again and declared war. I have the luxury of an electric outlet during storage. Every outlet in the trailer has a silent electronic pest repeller plugged in it, every one. Under the kitchen sink, in the cabinet, I put an obnoxiously loud pest repeller, with the cabinet door closed I can still hear it from outside the trailer. I spray “Mouse Proof Spray” in the lower cabinets and all storage compartments, it smells like peppermint. I put a half dozen glue traps around the trailer, including sink cabinets and storage compartments. It’s been three or four years since my original infestation. I haven’t seen any droppings or caught any mice in the glue traps. I will keep putting the glue traps around just in case.
Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:25 PM   #20

Fresh Cab has worked well for us.

Did try to plug all the openings. For the landing legs, purchased gutter guard (aluminum) and cut to fit around the legs. Drilled 3 holes and used nuts/bolts to put them together.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote