Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2017, 04:19 PM   #1

JT Strong Arm Stabilizers vs. Two Additional Front Mounted 30” Scissor Jacks

I have a 2017 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5FBDS. I want to reduce the shake when people move around when parked with the landing gear and rear stabilizer jacks down. I was planning on JT Strong Arm stabilizers based on forum research.

I went to get the JT Strong Arm install done, and the tech suggested I instead consider two additional 30” scissor jacks, one mounted on each side near the front of the frame. The cost would be less, and he thought it would be better for the landing gear life.

He said the JT Strong Arm install would require installing an additional metal reinforcing plate in the middle so that the arms are not skewed coming from the landing gear to the bottom middle of the frame. He also said they have seen some issues with additional load being placed on landing gear causing landing gear failure related to JT Strong Arm. Last, there may be a conflict with the spare tire which is mounted on the bottom front of the trailer.

Any thoughts on using two new 30” scissor jacks bolted to the frame near the front, about 4’ back from the front, instead of the JT Strong Arm setup?

Thank you.
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #2

Not sure about additional scissor jacks but these eliminated a lot of movement:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...bar-33456.html

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #3

The JT's help keep the jacks from flexing. Adding more jacks without JT's wouldn't benefit as much as JT's. Adding both would notch it up. One of the biggest things that helped me was using Rotochoks.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #4

I have a 2016 29.5bhds and did the installation myself. It was easy to do but took several hours. I would recommend these to any 5th wheel owner! I have never heard of this hurting the landing gear at all. There are several RV companies that have these product from the factory, such as KZ Durango's. Order them on Amazon and install yourself if possible. I did have to move my tire back but was able to slightly modify the bracket.
tledwards25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #5

Thank you for the feedback above.

Curious if anyone with the JT Strong Arms has found you needed to add a piece of reinforcing metal where the two arms come to the middle in front?

Also, has anyone found any damage, or greater wear and tear, on the front landing gear or motors due to JT Strong Arm?
Old 02-10-2017, 05:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugawi View Post
Thank you for the feedback above.

Curious if anyone with the JT Strong Arms has found you needed to add a piece of reinforcing metal where the two arms come to the middle in front?

Also, has anyone found any damage, or greater wear and tear, on the front landing gear or motors due to JT Strong Arm?
I did not have to add any reinforcement when I installed. The installation kit comes with several washer like fittings that provide some reinforcement and that's all I used. I installed through the metal floor of the front basement compartment.

No issues with greater wear and tear, but don't make the mistake I did and try to move the landing gear without loosening the Strong Arms - I managed to break a couple of tack-welds and a couple of screws and bend the floor pan. Thankfully a simple fix...
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #7

Thank you all. I am proceeding with the JT Strong Arms. Thank you for the reminder to loosen the Strong Arms before adjusting land gear!