Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #1

Lessons learned for a first timer?

I'm planning on purchasing an Eagle 5th wheel within the next year. I'm starting from scratch, with no experience (and no pull truck yet either). The extent of my knowledge is from the forums, Google and a small handful of friends. I just thought I'd pose this question since there is so much experience in this forum. What sort of things do you wish you had known or thought about before you bought your first?

My wife and I have two sets of twins (age 9 and 5) and we homeschool in Good Hope, GA. We have lots of flexibility and want to do this for family bonding. Right now we are leaning towards the 355MBQS (2017 version with mid bunk + loft) because it still has a bunk room but leaves more living space than the traditional back-end bunk room (though I can already here my kids fighting over who gets the loft!)

As my wife and I look at all of the options and get sucked into the novelty and excitement, it reminds me of having kids for the first time and all of the silly things you register for before you really know anything practical about life as a parent :-). So any advice or opinions, small or large, things that are important to consider or trivial (or links to other threads I may be overlooking) are all welcome. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:38 PM   #2

National Parks Passport book for the kids. Logbook for the navigator. Bicycle repair kit with spare tubes and small air compressor. Scrap the TV.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #3

Have you traveled in an RV before ? You may want to rent one for a few weeks and see if the lifestyle suits your family. If your homeschooling, I assume you may be doing that online? Know that many campgrounds you will have limited access to the internet, especially for any streaming.

Before making the huge investment I would, as I suggested, try the lifestyle out. Traveling with 4 kids in a very small space will bring issues you may not even see. Good Luck with whatever you decide
Old 05-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #4
Site Team

I agree totally w/ wags999. A rental Class C for a week is a chunk of change but it's nothing compared to buying a new truck and trailer and finding out that you can't embrace the lifestyle.

Deciding what we wanted, tt, mh, fifth wheel was the most expensive thing we ever did camping.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:08 PM   #5

What do you own for a tow vehicle?
Old 05-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
What do you own for a tow vehicle?
Yeah, I was going to go there.
Don't listen to a sales person who will tell you that the TV you have is perfect for the 5th you are eyeing. Do your own research!
I was surprised by the weight and TV capability of our first combination but we came out OK in the end, I was just surprised (TT was 4400# and my "max tow weight" was 9500#. No problems, right?)
Do your research on TV after you have an idea of the weight you will tow OR given a TV, pick an appropriate 5er to pull (weight-wise).
This forum is an excellent place to ask your questions, there seem to be no bad/stupid questions - I've tried.
As a starting point on your curve: We tow with an F350 2WD and the 5th scales in at 12700# with 3020# on the pin. The 350 does a good job with this 5er but IMHO a 250 might be just a touch out of its league. There's folks that will argue that point and that's fine but it's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #7

Don't own a tow vehicle at all. I'm thinking I'll buy a used crew cab 350 class Dually. I could probably get away with SRW with an Eagle, and I know that can be debated either way based on everything I've read here, but it would be close and I'd rather be conservative.

When I say we homeschool, I don't mean to imply that we are going to live in the RV for extended time. I am an airline pilot, so my work schedule is filled with 4-5 day chunks of time off throughout the month. So I foresee us doing a lot of local camping, where we just head out for a few days because we can. Very little of what we do is online. That being said, it's probably sound advice to rent and try it out.

I agree with no TV, though my wife and I are having discussions about that :-)

Old 05-25-2016, 08:54 PM   #8

Your on the right track with a 1-ton dually. I wish I'd just pulled the trigger and done that years ago.

Over the course of several decades I made the mistake of stair stepping my way through larger and larger rigs, thus larger and larger TV's.

While I know I'm still within the capabilities of my current truck with the rig I have on order...I'm already contemplating a dually.

I don't regret the decisions I've made as it's provided me lots of great memories over the years but I remember someone telling me years ago to buy your third trailer first. I scoffed at that at the time.... but here we are five trailers later and I can't tell you how many trucks.

Given your career choice I know you understand redundancy and safety margins. Do your own calculations with real world numbers when setting up your rig and you will be fine.

If you have the disposable income, RVing is one of the most pleasurable ways to travel and see the sights, or just get away for a night. One of our favorite spots to go stay is less than an hour away and we go often just for a change of pace.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Your on the right track with a 1-ton dually. I wish I'd just pulled the trigger and done that years ago.

Over the course of several decades I made the mistake of stair stepping my way through larger and larger rigs, thus larger and larger TV's.

While I know I'm still within the capabilities of my current truck with the rig I have on order...I'm already contemplating a dually.

I don't regret the decisions I've made as it's provided me lots of great memories over the years but I remember someone telling me years ago to buy your third trailer first. I scoffed at that at the time.... but here we are five trailers later and I can't tell you how many trucks.

Given your career choice I know you understand redundancy and safety margins. Do your own calculations with real world numbers when setting up your rig and you will be fine.

If you have the disposable income, RVing is one of the most pleasurable ways to travel and see the sights, or just get away for a night. One of our favorite spots to go stay is less than an hour away and we go often just for a change of pace.

Great info, thank you. You are the second person who has cautioned me to plan ahead so I don't have to trade up later. That is definitely factoring into my decision!

Old 05-25-2016, 11:26 PM   #10

Besides deciding on the RV lifestyle and figuring out which Rig (Also take a peek at the North Point 377RLBH if you like Mid-bunks), getting specific on your truck is another big part, expecially if going used.

Have you ever owned a diesel truck before? If so and you know what goes into them, awesome. If not, be prepared. Especially if going used, you will need to make sure you're either up on maintenance, or have a reliable mechanic. They will do almost anything you want, but they take $$$. Research the specific model/engine/trans you're looking at. All of them have their issues. Some more prominent then others.

Nothing worse than ordering a dream rig, and then staring at it because your tow vehicle needs X, Y and Z.

jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote