Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2017, 06:09 PM   #1

"Lifting" the 29.5 BHDS

Well folks I have an idea on how to lift the trailer without taking a welder or a saw to it.

I am thinking of adjusting leave hanger to the lower level, putting new wheels (15' current to 16") and larger tires. It looks like I have a lot of clearance.

What's the max tire size? What's the max lift you all think I'll get out of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2017, 02:46 AM   #2

Going from a 225/75r15 to a 235/85r16 is about a 2.5" difference....so you'll basically gain half the total difference of about 1 1/4" lift from the tires alone.

Unsure as to what the leave hanger holes will net you. My 2014 didn't have extra holes when I went down this road with mine. You should gain what ever the difference is between the leaf spring eye bolt holes though, all things being equal before and after.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:40 AM   #3

The spring hanger adjustment is easy. You will gain the amount center to center between the holes. Measure center of the empty hole to the center of the bolt. My guess is an 1" on the hangers.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:11 AM   #4

Is there a lower hole on the center morryde equalizer or just on the hangers? I couldn't find one on mine but it was cold and I didn't look that hard.

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:23 AM   #5

Thanks so much for the responses folks. I'll take a look. I'll allow look at the CRE3000 and see if there is any adjustment on it.

Also by looking through this forum I have on order some of the heavy duty grease fittings by more ride to replace my current bushing set. I plan on getting under the coach and doing this all at once.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:31 PM   #6

How close to level are you, Drtemax?

Keep in mind the higher you lift it, the higher the steps and outdoor kitchen gets from the ground. The steps isn't a big deal on ours, but the outdoor kitchen is almost too tall on some campsites for my short wife...if the site is level its ok. The outdoor kitchens are kinda high already on my model, the newer ones may be different.

You can also buy a Lippert Correct track system and get a 2" lift for a few hundred in parts.

Mine isn't totally level, but its close enough. I basically built a new leaf spring pack for mine like is used to lift the front end of leaf spring vehicles. I went to 16" wheels, mainly for the better tires. I done a couple mods to my truck to lower the rear a fuzz....dang Rams always are way high in the rear imo anyways.. I could do the correct track and have mine perfect, but its close enough now.

Happy camping!
Old 03-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #7

Has the axle been flipped already? Aka, the axle is mounted under the leaves.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
How close to level are you, Drtemax?

Keep in mind the higher you lift it, the higher the steps and outdoor kitchen gets from the ground. The steps isn't a big deal on ours, but the outdoor kitchen is almost too tall on some campsites for my short wife...if the site is level its ok. The outdoor kitchens are kinda high already on my model, the newer ones may be different.

You can also buy a Lippert Correct track system and get a 2" lift for a few hundred in parts.

Mine isn't totally level, but its close enough. I basically built a new leaf spring pack for mine like is used to lift the front end of leaf spring vehicles. I went to 16" wheels, mainly for the better tires. I done a couple mods to my truck to lower the rear a fuzz....dang Rams always are way high in the rear imo anyways.. I could do the correct track and have mine perfect, but its close enough now.

Happy camping!

Im defiantly looking into the correct track

I'm sitting about 8" lower in the front and about 1' higher in the nose. So defiantly not level. The Chevy 2500-3500 SRW are pretty high up.

Not to mention these manufactures keep putting them higher and higher. Annoying. I need the clearance so lowering the rear isn't an option. I like the true track idea and will look into that along with the 16" wheels.

Thanks so much.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Has the axle been flipped already? Aka, the axle is mounted under the leaves.

Yup. From the factory

Old 03-15-2017, 09:34 PM   #10

One more thing to try, is a new equalizer, (the yoke between the two leaf springs). We had to do an emergency replacement on my parent's tt some years back. We had no choice but to use a large equalizer. It lifted the tt about two inches.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 03-15-2017, 09:40 PM   #11

Quote:
One more thing to try, is a new equalizer, (the yoke between the two leaf springs). We had to do an emergency replacement on my parent's tt some years back. We had no choice but to use a large equalizer. It lifted the tt about two inches.

Switch out the CRE3000?

Old 03-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtEmaxChvy View Post
Switch out the CRE3000?

Yes, unfortunately do not have a recommendation. A trailer repair facility might have a suggestion.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 03-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes, unfortunately do not have a recommendation. A trailer repair facility might have a suggestion.

Found a specialized shop that's only purpose in life is trailers. I'll be calling them in a couple of weeks when they are less busy.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #14

I did the leaf springs on mine last year. They did make a difference. Not sure what truck they were thinking would be pulling this ( S10 or Tacoma maybe), but it has been a chore to level out the FW. Where are you guys going to get the new updated wheels and tires?
davisenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisenvy View Post
I did the leaf springs on mine last year. They did make a difference. Not sure what truck they were thinking would be pulling this ( S10 or Tacoma maybe), but it has been a chore to level out the FW. Where are you guys going to get the new updated wheels and tires?

I'll be doing the leafs soon. I'll start researching an order.
The wheels...I'm just looking where I can find them. I want some factory Jayco wheels so I may order from the factory. Tires I'll likely be going sailun from discount tire or something.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #16

I'll be watching this. I'd like get my 26.5BHS up a little. Anyone have any info from lippert or Jayco saying it's ok to adjust the leafs. Asked my dealer and they said they couldn't alter a trailer per the manufacturer.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I'll be watching this. I'd like get my 26.5BHS up a little. Anyone have any info from lippert or Jayco saying it's ok to adjust the leafs. Asked my dealer and they said they couldn't alter a trailer per the manufacturer.
I'd find a better dealer. Why put adjustable suspension on the trailer if you can't use it. Makes no sense. My current trade trailer has adjustable suspension and I raised it from day one. That was 8 years ago. My new Jayco that I'm taking delivery of is a few weeks has adjustable hangers, I will raise it too if needed.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:05 AM   #18

I'll try them again today. Dropping it off this morning for some warranty stuff discovered during PDI. I'm hoping they just didn't understand what I was saying when I asked over the phone.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #19

Suspension lift

Hi everyone, I went through the same process with my 2015 29.5bhds. I lowered the leafs to the lower adjustment position and invested in 16" tires and wheels. (LT 245 75 commercial T/A). Almost level with my Chevy 3500HD.
Ruffin it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffin it View Post
Hi everyone, I went through the same process with my 2015 29.5bhds. I lowered the leafs to the lower adjustment position and invested in 16" tires and wheels. (LT 245 75 commercial T/A). Almost level with my Chevy 3500HD.

This is good to know. I'll likely try this as a first step. If that doesn't work I'll build a new leaf pack.