Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2020, 09:20 AM   #1
jsk

Moryde CRE3000

Looking a little help for suspension. Camper started making popping sounds not long after purchase. Each of the first 2 years bushings were replaced under warranty but no luck. Last fall it went to Jayco for crack repair and Jayco replaced rear axle and brakes - not for popping but because wheel almost fell off when returning to dealer, they put greaseable bolts in without grease. I have replaced it all with the wet bolts. I still have the popping sound.

What I see when raising and lowering is the suspension is not smooth. You can see the suspension move suddenly and hear the pop. It almost sounds like it is on a ratchet.

It seems I be will jacking it up again but not exactly sure what I am looking for in the suspension. Has anybody taken one apart? Any suggestions on what to look for? Can it be lubricated?

FYI. When new axle and brakes installed at Jayco I could not spin the wheel by hand when I got it home.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk View Post
Looking a little help for suspension. Camper started making popping sounds not long after purchase. Each of the first 2 years bushings were replaced under warranty but no luck. Last fall it went to Jayco for crack repair and Jayco replaced rear axle and brakes - not for popping but because wheel almost fell off when returning to dealer, they put greaseable bolts in without grease. I have replaced it all with the wet bolts. I still have the popping sound. What I see when raising and lowering is the suspension is not smooth. You can see the suspension move suddenly and hear the pop. It almost sounds like it is on a ratchet. It seems I be will jacking it up again but not exactly sure what I am looking for in the suspension. Has anybody taken one apart? Any suggestions on what to look for? Can it be lubricated?
FYI. When new axle and brakes installed at Jayco I could not spin the wheel by hand when I got it home. Thanks
There is no doubt a serious problem with your suspension. Perhaps misalignment? I wish I could give you some suggestions but it sounds like you need to take it to someone that specializes in suspensions. Hope you can find the answer.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #3

You mention the CRE3000 in your title but not your post. Do you currently have the CRE3000, or are you considering one?

You replaced it all with wet bolts? If you did that yourself, didn't that make it apparent how the suspension system works?

Basically, each axle has a leaf spring (on each side), that connects on each end, to a frame hanger on one end and the equalizer on the other end. And, the equalizer to a frame hanger. Each attachment point should have a wet bolt...greased.

If you don't already have the CRE3000 equalizer, it would be a good idea to install it. When I did the wet bolts on my 26BH after the first season, the equalizer was such a poor quality casting i couldn't install the wet bolts in it, which prompted me to get the CRE3000. Now, every moving part in the suspension system has a grease bolt. Installed by me, so I KNOW it's greased and proper.

Having functioning wet bolts at all connections seems like a good starting point.

If the popping persists, and you're certain it's coming from the suspension, I suppose I'd check that the axles are squarely aligned with the frame. After that, I'd be out of ideas.

That your wheel wouldn't turn after the work performed by the dealer is somewhat concerning. My first thought would be that they over-tightened the castle nut at that wheel. That'd be the first thing I'd check. Otherwise, possible over adjustment on brake. Bottom line, the wheel should turn freely by hand with the rv jacked up.

Additional though on how system works. I learned how mine works mostly by crawling under there and looking at it. It's s simple enough system that simply studying it should reveal how it works. Axles attach to springs, springs attach to hangers and equalizer. You should readily see where ALL the lubrication points are.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #4

If you have the CRE 3000, the popping noise is coming from the rubber block in the CRE3000. My Eagle has done this from day one when raising or lowering the front. Dealer told me that this is common. When raising up the front, you can see the CRE 3000 actually skip or ratchet when the rubber block pops and moves
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:32 PM   #5
jsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
If you have the CRE 3000, the popping noise is coming from the rubber block in the CRE3000. My Eagle has done this from day one when raising or lowering the front. Dealer told me that this is common. When raising up the front, you can see the CRE 3000 actually skip or ratchet when the rubber block pops and moves

Ratcheting of the equalizer is exactly what it looks like. I was hoping wet bolts would solve problem but it didn’t. I also hear it when going over a bump. I am wondering if there is a fix, put up with it, or replace.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #6
jsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
You mention the CRE3000 in your title but not your post. Do you currently have the CRE3000, or are you considering one?

You replaced it all with wet bolts? If you did that yourself, didn't that make it apparent how the suspension system works?

Basically, each axle has a leaf spring (on each side), that connects on each end, to a frame hanger on one end and the equalizer on the other end. And, the equalizer to a frame hanger. Each attachment point should have a wet bolt...greased.

If you don't already have the CRE3000 equalizer, it would be a good idea to install it. When I did the wet bolts on my 26BH after the first season, the equalizer was such a poor quality casting i couldn't install the wet bolts in it, which prompted me to get the CRE3000. Now, every moving part in the suspension system has a grease bolt. Installed by me, so I KNOW it's greased and proper.

Having functioning wet bolts at all connections seems like a good starting point.

If the popping persists, and you're certain it's coming from the suspension, I suppose I'd check that the axles are squarely aligned with the frame. After that, I'd be out of ideas.

That your wheel wouldn't turn after the work performed by the dealer is somewhat concerning. My first thought would be that they over-tightened the castle nut at that wheel. That'd be the first thing I'd check. Otherwise, possible over adjustment on brake. Bottom line, the wheel should turn freely by hand with the rv jacked up.

Additional though on how system works. I learned how mine works mostly by crawling under there and looking at it. It's s simple enough system that simply studying it should reveal how it works. Axles attach to springs, springs attach to hangers and equalizer. You should readily see where ALL the lubrication points are.

I have CRE3000 from factory and I installed wet bolt kit.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:25 PM   #7

Is the popping sound when your parked on the jacks? Do you have hydraulic jacks or electric?
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #8

I sent this video to Morryde and asked them if this is normal. They said the clunking sound and the ratcheting is coming from leaf spring separation when raising or lowering the FW. They said I could jack the FW off the ground and try shooting some lithium grease in between the leafs and that may help. They said either way it is nothing to be concerned about.
For some reason it will not allow me to upload the video.
I will try to upload it in another post.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:37 PM   #9

Mine has the cre3000 and wet bolts and I keep them lube. Mine has always popped since new.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #10
jsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
Is the popping sound when your parked on the jacks? Do you have hydraulic jacks or electric?

I have electric. You can see equalizer moving in increments when raising and lowering the front jacks. It is not smooth.

It does pop when on a flat surface and more when going over a bump.

Is is kind of embarrassing when pulling in to a campground.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
Good info, thanks. We haven't had ours long, but the couple of times I have raised it I hear a clicking sound under it. Haven't heard it when lowering. Been under my cover and too cold here to check it out lately. It also has the CRE3000 and that will at least give me a starting point to see if that is where it is coming from when I get it out from it's cover. Sounds like it most likely is though.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:00 PM   #12

This might give you an idea.
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk View Post
Looking a little help for suspension. Camper started making popping sounds not long after purchase. Each of the first 2 years bushings were replaced under warranty but no luck. Last fall it went to Jayco for crack repair and Jayco replaced rear axle and brakes - not for popping but because wheel almost fell off when returning to dealer, they put greaseable bolts in without grease. I have replaced it all with the wet bolts. I still have the popping sound.

What I see when raising and lowering is the suspension is not smooth. You can see the suspension move suddenly and hear the pop. It almost sounds like it is on a ratchet.

It seems I be will jacking it up again but not exactly sure what I am looking for in the suspension. Has anybody taken one apart? Any suggestions on what to look for? Can it be lubricated?

FYI. When new axle and brakes installed at Jayco I could not spin the wheel by hand when I got it home.

Thanks
What surprises me is that you are saying after the service work the wheel would not turn ?? I'm wandering if the bearing or washer nut is too tight and that is just not right? I noticed a lot of black like powder on mine and was not sure if rubber bushings or brake dust ? Have to research this?
kdduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:25 PM   #14

It was repaired under warranty by Jayco. He did not do it himself. I noticed on mine that the whole suspension on mine was relocated? and moved? The frame shows signs of indentation on it, so makes me wander what was going on, was there damages done on transport to Canadaand the suspension was replaced? Lots of rust on whereat was changed? In storage, at my acreage but 1 hr. away so no photos of it at this time. ??
Old 03-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #15

JSK, When you replaced the bolts with the wet bolts, Did you replace the cheap stock bushings in the shackles as well. The stock bushings are cheap non-metal (plastic)? The new ones are bronze/brass. If so, Also check the CRE center . Is it hanging up?
Old 03-25-2020, 03:31 PM   #16

I think that after I put another 5000-6000 kms on this season, I'm going to upgrade to the new wet kit. I searched on Moryde CRE 3000 site, and it lists the upgraded kit. My former service manager suggested to do so soon. But the black powder i see is from the rubber insert. The clunk, I did hear was from turning I believe uneven ground and both axles trying to settle in. I have to turn fairly sharp on my property. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #17

kd. You will get the best price on that wetbolt kit on Amazon most likely. I did.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:34 AM   #18

GraftonGuns is right on the mark with his response. All of the plastic bushing after one season were worn thru making metal on metal contact. I installed the CRE3000 myself, all the bushing with the bronze ones and wetbolts. Lubed them all and not a creek since. I know what you mean to pull into and trailer park or leave your neighbourhood with such a noise. Embarrassing for sure. Here is a Canada Amazon link for the wetbolt bushing kit. Be sure the kit matches your spacing of the shackles holes to your RV
https://www.amazon.ca/MORryde-Intern...5219184&sr=8-4
Arseneau69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:06 PM   #19
jsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraftonGuns View Post
JSK, When you replaced the bolts with the wet bolts, Did you replace the cheap stock bushings in the shackles as well. The stock bushings are cheap non-metal (plastic)? The new ones are bronze/brass. If so, Also check the CRE center . Is it hanging up?

Yes I replaced with the bronze. Dealer replaced bushings each of first 2 warranty years. I offered to purchase wet bolt kit if Jayco would cover labor the second year and Jayco denied. Both years they were replaced with plastic except the second year the plastic had a thicker wall.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:14 PM   #20
jsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdduke View Post
What surprises me is that you are saying after the service work the wheel would not turn ?? I'm wandering if the bearing or washer nut is too tight and that is just not right? I noticed a lot of black like powder on mine and was not sure if rubber bushings or brake dust ? Have to research this?

It is 70 miles from dealer to home. When I got home first thing I did was walk around and put hand on the Jayco cover for castle nut. I could smell brakes when I got out of truck. When I jacked it up and was able to spin the tire a bunch of brake dust came out. I was able to adjust the star wheel to get tire moving.