Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2016, 07:05 AM   #1

Need Jayco Fifth Wheel Feedback

I have an older fifth wheel and have decided it is time to upgrade to a newer one. I pull with a half ton F150 so have been looking at the Jayco 26.5 HT model without the bunks. Its only my wife and I so the size is perfect.

I have been looking at mostly 2010 or 2011 years as they fit my price range. Im just a bit concerned as most of the reviews Ive read online about the Jayco 5ers have been negative. Mostly all say they wow you will colors and cosmetic stuff and then thing after thing starts to break and go wrong.

Can some of you that own this model and years chime in and tell me what I should check over when looking at these units and what to stay away from ?

Thanks

Bigmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #2

I can't speak to the HT's but I do have a comment regarding negative reviews.

You will always see more negative reviews and comments about everything. When people are not happy or their expectations have not been met people make those negative comments. Including myself. What you don't hear are the numerous comments from people that love what they have bought and just don't make a public comment.
This is just the nature we all are in about anything. RV's, cars, trucks, vacuum cleaners etc.

Good luck on your hunt. Hopefully someone with a 2010 - 2011 will chime in.

Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #3

I am on my 3rd fifth wheel in 22 years. All three have been Jayco. During that time I have only had one service call which was dealt with promptly under the two year warranty. My friends and relatives who have other brands all seem to have had more issues than me. I take that as a sign that Jayco is reliable and well-built.

Jim
Old 06-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #4
Site Team

The 2010 and 2011 years were great years. A older well taken care of rig will have the majority of little things fixed.

Agree, Weigh the negative reviews carefully, Jayco has been in business a long time, standing tall among the ruins of many rv companies. You don't survive that long with unsatisfied customers.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #5

Since, trailers and fifth wheels are not built like a typical home (with strict standards) it really doesn't matter what brand you buy. They all will have issues, due to towing stress and vibration. My wife and I are new Jayco 5th wheel owners, and we've gone through our shares of minor issues. Overall, we love our trailer. Although we own a HT model, we've heard more horror stories from owners who own much more expensive models. For one to own a 5th wheel trailer, one must be handy and anticipate issues before they become big ones. Towing over bumps, pot holes and rough roads don't help, so we must inspect the unit more often than not. Good luck in your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoss View Post
I have an older fifth wheel and have decided it is time to upgrade to a newer one. I pull with a half ton F150 so have been looking at the Jayco 26.5 HT model without the bunks. Its only my wife and I so the size is perfect.

I have been looking at mostly 2010 or 2011 years as they fit my price range. Im just a bit concerned as most of the reviews Ive read online about the Jayco 5ers have been negative. Mostly all say they wow you will colors and cosmetic stuff and then thing after thing starts to break and go wrong.

Can some of you that own this model and years chime in and tell me what I should check over when looking at these units and what to stay away from ?

Thanks
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:32 PM   #6

Mine is newer, a 2013 29.5 rks, but after more than two years we still love it. Do I lust over newer and bigger? Of course. Would I look to Jayco for a newer one? Yes.

2013 Eagle 29.5RKS
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:43 PM   #7

I have a 26.5 HT RLS but it's a 2016. I love the floor plan and have only had one minor problem (an adjustment to the slide) in the six months we've had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #8

I have a 2013 26.5 RLS. To date, the issues have been:

Under Warranty:
Outside shower/sprayer leaked when off.

Without warranty:
One wheel bearing replaced this past winter.
Hot water knob on bathroom sink cracked, had to replace with universal knobs from Home Depot.

Everything else was either improvements I made, repairs due to the improvements I made, or other ways I found to break things.

12,500 miles of towing, from Minn., to the Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf coasts and Canadian border.

Be advised, most normal F150's cannot handle the pin/hitch weight. You must have the Max Payload package (not to be confused with Max Towing). They can pull, but they can't carry the weight required.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
I have a 2013 26.5 RLS.

Be advised, most normal F150's cannot handle the pin/hitch weight. You must have the Max Payload package (not to be confused with Max Towing). They can pull, but they can't carry the weight required.
What is the pin weight on your trailer ?
Bigmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #10

We have a 26.5 rks for a couple years now with no real troubles. Great floorplan for a couple. It is light wieght and tows easy. We have upgraded to the 293rkds we take delivery on friday.we have owned several jaycos over the years and will continue with the jayco line. They seem to build a better product over all and stand behind thier units.it is all about the dealer supporting thier customers. Good luck!

luvs2camp7164 is offline   Reply With Quote