Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2020, 11:52 PM   #1

Norcold fridge problem

I seem to have a strange problem. I have a Norcold model 1200 series that won't stay cold with the thermistor hooked up. I have changed the thermistor twice and tested they worked before installing them. If I disconnect the thermistor the fridge gets cold but it is hard to regulate the temperature. The diagnostic codes built into the fridge say it is a bad thermistor but that is not the case. Anybody out there with an idea or had the same problem?
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:32 AM   #2

Try to de power the fridge. Pull the 120 plug along with the 12 volt and then hook them back up again and then turn it on. These fridges are prone to going into defrost mode and then staying in defrost mode. Along with a host of other problems that plague the rv fridges.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:07 PM   #3

Agree with above to complete unplug fridge. Also look at thermister manual adjust kit. We put it in years ago on our dometic so we could adjust fridge temp without having to deal with thermister. It is simple to install and works great.
DBuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBuley View Post
Agree with above to complete unplug fridge. Also look at thermister manual adjust kit. We put it in years ago on our dometic so we could adjust fridge temp without having to deal with thermister. It is simple to install and works great.
Hello DBuley,
I'm interested in the thermister manual adjust kit that you refered to in your post. Do you have a Manufacturer model/part number that I can look at for purchasing?
My Norcold 1210 had the cooling unit replaced under warranty. Now it cools the fridge and freezer great, but almost too great! Since there is no separate adjustment for the fridge and freezer, I have been trying different thermistor positions on the fins and adjusting the temperature settings on the control panel. The freezer can be a perfect 0-degrees, but the fridge is way down at 28-32 degrees. When I adjust the controls and the fridge goes to 35-40 degrees, the freezer goes up to 6-10 degrees. I can't seem to get a nice balance so the fridge and freezer are at the optimal temps.
Perhaps I can get some advice on these adjustments from a fellow Norcold owner out there..... ? Any suggestions would be great!
PS. I was thinking of going to a residential fridge, but I like boondocking and don't want to run the generator for that. Planning on a solar setup this year, but that would be just to keep the batteries charged up for the minor 12volt stuff, including the Norcold fridge ignitor on propane....
Thanks to all!,
DanL

Daniel and Cathy
2020 Jayco Precept 29V
Mountain Bikes, Kayaks, Coffee!

------------ "Wherever you go, there you are!"
Tumbleweed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:12 AM   #5

This is what i installed on mine.
Attached Thumbnails
7621C8F8-1EA1-497B-9E8C-7A84DD3307FA.png  
Old 04-02-2021, 10:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBuley View Post
This is what i installed on mine.

Jumping on Dbuley's post to add link, https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Elec...s%2C158&sr=8-1

$35.00 doesn't seem too unreasonable.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:27 AM   #7

Have you mounted a fan inside the fridge? 12 volt computer fan and pull 12 volt + off the left door contact. Fan on when door closed
That will circulate the air in fridge more evenly. I added 2 fans outside at bottom of flue to help move air up plus the buyer original.
Also pull fridge insideto get access and from the top vent slide a piece of insulation on top of fridge. That helps stop the top of freezer fighting with radiant heat on slide roof. I sealed top and sides up with insulation. Fridge and freezer work properly now.
YMMV
RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed99 View Post
Hello DBuley,
The freezer can be a perfect 0-degrees, but the fridge is way down at 28-32 degrees. When I adjust the controls and the fridge goes to 35-40 degrees, the freezer goes up to 6-10 degrees. I can't seem to get a nice balance so the fridge and freezer are at the optimal temps. DanL
You may be expecting too much out of this fridge. I have the same model and recently installed a dual temp gauge so I could monitor both fridge and freezer. Previously I only monitored the fridge.

My last trip yielded the same temps you mentioned. Rather than freeze everything in the fridge I adjust the temp to around the mid 30s range. I always want it under 39. The freezer ends up being whatever it ends up to be.

There is no way to make the freezer colder by itself. A residential fridge regulates the separate temps with a fan that blows air from the freezer to the fridge area. You don't have that luxury here.

As mentioned, install a fan in the fridge area to distribute the air better. That helps quite a bit. The freezer may have your ice cream a bit soft but things will not be melting at 6-10 degrees, in my opinion. Also, the less you open the freezer the better. I put my ice on one side of the fridge and everything else on the other. I open the ice much more frequently than the other but never have a problem with the ice melting.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #9

My only complaint was it never being able ro run cool enough on hot days with the stoxk thermister. Even with adequite external venting and a supplemental external fan, on hot days, fridge with stock thermister never had fine enough adjustment. By putting in that optional adjuster, i could dial all way up on hot days to keep fridge cold and dial back as camping season cooled off. I wish the fridge had a front panel adjustment, but alas, dometic didnt think it necesary.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:03 AM   #10

Thanks to everyone for your replies and suggestions. I will definetely be putting this information to use!
DanL

Daniel and Cathy
2020 Jayco Precept 29V
Mountain Bikes, Kayaks, Coffee!

------------ "Wherever you go, there you are!"
Tumbleweed99 is offline   Reply With Quote