Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2023, 09:01 AM   #1

On-Demand Water Heaters

We purchased a 2022 Jayco Eagle 317rlok. We want to replace the 6gl water heater with an on-demand that needs no modifications (cutting the opening to accommodate one). The dealership mentioned Jayco was adding the Suburban or Furrion model but, didn't mention the model numbers. I've read on the Jayco Forum that the Truma Comfort or Aquago work great. Could you please share your opinion. Thank in advance.
John
Hunter111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 06:14 AM   #2

Bought our Jayco 2nd hand. Original owner put a Furion on-demand tankless hot water system in it. It works very well. But it's strictly gas only, no electric option. Only issue we've had so far is if it's cold and the gas bottle in service is pretty low it sometimes doesn't want to light.

HAIL STATE!
magshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 08:54 AM   #3

We replaced our Girrard with a Truma, well worth the cost. So far (knock on wood) the Truma has been flawless.
bender88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:02 AM   #4

Girard tankless here - finnicky, but we've learned to work with it. Not good for boondocking. We *winter* camp so finding one that's smart enuff to work in cold temps was important to us.

Most tankless heaters worry about incoming water pressure and temperature.

We like our tankless and will probably always have one, but read the manuals before you leap.
Old 05-02-2023, 03:38 PM   #5

Where are people finding the Truma units for sale?
JayG7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 04:13 PM   #6

Talking

Can't remember the name of ours. it is an Italian name, but it works fine. As others have mentioned, they are finicky about water pressure, and if boondocking you will waste water. Otherwise, it works well and you never run out of hot water
Old 05-02-2023, 06:30 PM   #7

My Pinnacle has a 12 gallon and I can run it on Electricity...I don't see the advantage of a tankless in my situation. Very happy running it on electric....and the rare occasion I need long back to back showers....Electric and Propane give plenty of hot water.

Also, my tankless failed at home and I replaced it with a 50 gallon gas water heater Still happy

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Can't remember the name of ours. it is an Italian name, but it works fine. As others have mentioned, they are finicky about water pressure, and if boondocking you will waste water. Otherwise, it works well and you never run out of hot water
Fogatti?

I just installed one of those (Pro) and so far its pretty good. Our Atwood 6 gallon cracked a weld in the neck where the heating element attaches. This was due to a flaw in the install by Jayco where the tank was pitched towards the inside making it impossible to drain the tank. I discovered about a half gallon of water was being left in the tank even after pulling the drain plug. I guess that after a few years it finally stressed the weld to the point it gave out.

The Fogatti seems to be very well made. It was very easy to install and the trim kit for the Atwood cutout fit perfect. The tankless is nothing like the one we have at home, is is slower to ignite and more sensitive to low flow. I don't like wasting water so I keep the flow as low as I can which probably exacerbates the flow sensitivity. The downside is that it's propane only, so I plumbed in a 3rd 40lb tank to be safe.

We are 2 1/2 weeks (about 25 showers) into our season this year and one tank is down to 80% with a little bit of propane used for the stove. I don't think that is too bad at all. One benefit of switching from the gas/electric is that we have an additional 15 amps of power available to the coach that we had to previously budget for which allows me to use a second space heater.
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 04:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
My Pinnacle has a 12 gallon and I can run it on Electricity...I don't see the advantage of a tankless in my situation. Very happy running it on electric....and the rare occasion I need long back to back showers....Electric and Propane give plenty of hot water.

Also, my tankless failed at home and I replaced it with a 50 gallon gas water heater Still happy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shackrat View Post
Fogatti?

I just installed one of those (Pro) and so far its pretty good. Our Atwood 6 gallon cracked a weld in the neck where the heating element attaches. This was due to a flaw in the install by Jayco where the tank was pitched towards the inside making it impossible to drain the tank. I discovered about a half gallon of water was being left in the tank even after pulling the drain plug. I guess that after a few years it finally stressed the weld to the point it gave out.

The Fogatti seems to be very well made. It was very easy to install and the trim kit for the Atwood cutout fit perfect. The tankless is nothing like the one we have at home, is is slower to ignite and more sensitive to low flow. I don't like wasting water so I keep the flow as low as I can which probably exacerbates the flow sensitivity. The downside is that it's propane only, so I plumbed in a 3rd 40lb tank to be safe.

We are 2 1/2 weeks (about 25 showers) into our season this year and one tank is down to 80% with a little bit of propane used for the stove. I don't think that is too bad at all. One benefit of switching from the gas/electric is that we have an additional 15 amps of power available to the coach that we had to previously budget for which allows me to use a second space heater.

Our Pinnacle came with the Fogatti, thanks for the reminder, so didn't have a choice, but as I said, it works well, and our Pinnacle came with the 3 40Gal. tanks standard. At home we have both, tankless and standard due to the size and design of our place. The tankless just quit after almost 23 years, and almost 3K later, we have a new one
Old 05-03-2023, 07:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG7800 View Post
Where are people finding the Truma units for sale?
I went through my dealer. You can also go through the Truma website to find an installer.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:26 AM   #11

My sister has a Truma gas/electric water heater. In my opinion, it works but not as well as the old Atwood gas heaters. The Truma user interface is terrible. I felt they could have done a better job in designing the controls. And as far as the hot water during the shower, the water temperature do change/fluctuate when it's been running too long. When the incoming water is too cold, shower water temperature is greatly affected.
cgalutera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 12:36 PM   #12

We have a Furrion in our new Eagle and it works OK so far. We turn it on and set the temp and leave it alone, but it is gas only and it takes about 10 seconds or more to get hot so if you aren't connected to water/sewer you will run through both pretty quickly. I do like being able to take unlimited hot showers.
Nevr2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 12:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevr2late View Post
... it takes about 10 seconds or more to get hot so if you aren't connected to water/sewer you will run through both pretty quickly. I do like being able to take unlimited hot showers.
Take a look at the ShowerMeiser... I installed one last season for boondocking, since with our floor plan the shower is literally the furthest run from the water heater. It's just a simple 3-way valve that diverts the water back into the fresh tank. Once the pipe gets warm (it will change color, but I never wait that long) flip the vale back and shower as you normally would.
Old 05-03-2023, 02:13 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shackrat View Post
Take a look at the ShowerMeiser...
Not available on Amazon, out of stock no idea when or if it will be available again.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 03:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalutera1 View Post
My sister has a Truma gas/electric water heater. In my opinion, it works but not as well as the old Atwood gas heaters. The Truma user interface is terrible. I felt they could have done a better job in designing the controls. And as far as the hot water during the shower, the water temperature do change/fluctuate when it's been running too long. When the incoming water is too cold, shower water temperature is greatly affected.
Haven't experienced any of that so far. I think the controls are pretty simple, turn to on.
Old 05-03-2023, 05:53 PM   #16

In the Atwood old school propane water heater, it is so easy to use. Just flip a mechanical switch inside your RV and wait 10-15 mins. When it is recharging, I can hear it. I have a 7 gallon capacity so technically when mixing with cold water, I get about 8-10 gallons of hot water for the shower. It is so simple to use.

In the Truma Combi plus, you get an LCD screen interface with several icons, one of them is the water heater. Selecting the water heater, you go to another bunch of icons such as gas, mix 1, mix 2, and etc. I just want the hot water to turn on. Once set, I don't hear anything. It's very quiet. Unlike the Atwood everybody knows when it is working and it hardly ever fails.

In my opinion, the less electronic stuff I have in controlling my RV, the better my camping experience will be.
cgalutera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 07:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Not available on Amazon, out of stock no idea when or if it will be available again.
I see that. Fortunately you can still get them factory direct if you want one.
Old 05-06-2023, 03:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post

What he said ./
Tuckerbug is offline   Reply With Quote