Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-27-2020, 07:59 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 338
You will almost certainly exceed your payload with this Eagle on a 2500. We have a 250 gas and an Eagle HT, 2000 pounds lighter than your trailer, and feel that we are right at the limit. Your diesel costs you about 400 pounds of payload by itself v. a gas engine.
We're happy with our setup, but if we ever went with bigger trailer, we would only get a 350 dually. Your 2500 available payload is the rating of truck- (10,350 lb) minus the actual loaded weight of the truck. Like the poster said above- look at the yellow sticker of a similar 2500 diesel on the lot. Estimate weight of hitch, passengers, fuel, cargo EVERYTHING counts against your payload. You will see that you will run out of payload.
There is no reason to get a 2500 for anything but the smaller 5th wheels, like we have.
__________________
[/SIGPIC]Ford F250, Crew, 6.2 Gas, 4X4, Short Bed, Companion Hitch
2019 Jayco 28.5 RSTS, MorRyde orbital
Cincinnati Kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #22
Member
 
icr21801's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Salisbury
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
Thanks for all the feedback - I appreciate it. We found the unit (and deal) we were looking for in a 2020 Jayco Eagle 336FBOK. Able to order the unit in Florida and take delivery in Albany, NY in May. That made things a lot simpler for us. Ample time to shop for a truck.

The target truck now is a 3500 or F350, single - non-dually. It should have no problem with the 13,750 GVWR, which allows for all the extra stuff that snow-birding calls for.

I have not had a Ram before. Their pricing looks attractive and the I6 Cummings looks bullet proof. Does anyone have firsthand experience with both the V8 and I6 diesel engines? A friend at the RV park that has the new 10 speed Allison says it is really sweet for towing.
I tow with a RAM 3500 DRW. CUMMINS motor is unstoppable, hands down the best towing power plant with a simple and serviceable I6 motor. The build and quality of the truck however are not anywhere close to Ford. Waiting for a custom shop that will drop me a CUMMINS into an F350 Dually!
icr21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:21 AM   #23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Plattsburgh
Posts: 20
Thanks for the feedback Cincinnati and ICR. We are starting to lean toward a dually after talking to the sales folks. We just learned about the two different I6 Ram diesel choices - did not know there was an HO option until taking a look on Thursday. The salesman said the power difference was not really noticeable, maybe up a steep grade, but he said the bigger thing was the beefier transmission that is coupled with the HO diesel. Also learning that there's no changes between 2019 and 2020 models like the others have by way of the new ten-speed transmissions. That allows for another two grand in rebates along with discounted units that the dealers want to move off the lots.
Dangerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
Thanks for the feedback Cincinnati and ICR. We are starting to lean toward a dually after talking to the sales folks. We just learned about the two different I6 Ram diesel choices - did not know there was an HO option until taking a look on Thursday. The salesman said the power difference was not really noticeable, maybe up a steep grade, but he said the bigger thing was the beefier transmission that is coupled with the HO diesel. Also learning that there's no changes between 2019 and 2020 models like the others have by way of the new ten-speed transmissions. That allows for another two grand in rebates along with discounted units that the dealers want to move off the lots.
The difference in payload capacity between a 250 and 350 SRW might make enough difference, but it's not a big amount of extra payload, if I remember correctly. You go into dually territory though, and it's a whole different ballgame, and you can tow just about anything out there. If we were younger and thinking about a bigger toy hauler or something, we would have gotten a dually.
But a big factor for us is that we use the truck for sightseeing, too, and we wouldn't want to be driving/parking a dually in downtowns and tourist areas. So we knew that with our 250, we need to keep it to a smaller (so-called half ton) fifth wheel, and this works for us. We're really enjoying the heck out of it.
__________________
[/SIGPIC]Ford F250, Crew, 6.2 Gas, 4X4, Short Bed, Companion Hitch
2019 Jayco 28.5 RSTS, MorRyde orbital
Cincinnati Kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Sheridan
Posts: 11
Something I would consider with a dually is if the vehicle will be used other than towing the 5th wheel. As I wrote earlier, we purchased a RAM 3500 but went with a standard rear axle since I use the truck for other projects. A dually is a big beast for city streets and parking. As we all know dealers are out to move vehicles and sometimes their priorities don't align with our needs.
bstuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
triplebvalp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Valparaiso
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
Thanks for the feedback Cincinnati and ICR. We are starting to lean toward a dually after talking to the sales folks.
I haven't looked at the weight numbers for your soon to be new FW, just gonna give you my opinion.

If you use your truck for sight seeing/Walmart shopping a single rear wheel is the way to go. A dually is a bunch of truck around town and especially if it is a long bed.

We camped near Savannah, Ga last Christmas. Driving in town (to a public parking lot) to do some sight seeing, was a real challenge with my SRW 8' bed truck. Had I had a dually, Uber or Lyft would have been my choice of transportation.
__________________
2017 Eagle HT 27.5RKDS (Traded)
2020 Montana High Country 295RL
10th Anniversary Edition
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #27
Junior Member
 
Maddiemae81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Omaha
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstuck69 View Post
Something I would consider with a dually is if the vehicle will be used other than towing the 5th wheel. As I wrote earlier, we purchased a RAM 3500 but went with a standard rear axle since I use the truck for other projects. A dually is a big beast for city streets and parking. As we all know dealers are out to move vehicles and sometimes their priorities don't align with our needs.
I concur. Our F350 is bad enough to park when we want to leave the campground. Trying to park in a metro downtown area with that pickup is no fun - a dually would be more challenging. It's true that your towing power goes up considerably with the dually, but for the sake of simplicity, it might be worth it to step back and think of how big of a camper you really need, and how you want to camp. It's like buying a huge house for Thanksgiving dinner guests - to each his own, but sometimes we oversize when smaller really would have been fine. Our F350 diesel pulls our Eagle HT 28.5RSTS no problem - so easily, in fact, I sometimes start singing to the radio and forget it's attached. Really freaks out the hubby! Happy shopping!
__________________
Maddie and Hank
2020 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS

Maddiemae81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:07 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
triplebvalp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Valparaiso
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddiemae81 View Post
Our F350 diesel pulls our Eagle HT 28.5RSTS no problem - so easily, in fact, I sometimes start singing to the radio and forget it's attached. Really freaks out the hubby! Happy shopping!
We pulled our FW for 2.5 years with a Silverado 2500 gasser Ö Now have a Silverado 3500 diesel and while pulling the FW, I tell my wife it's almost boring, it so easy.
__________________
2017 Eagle HT 27.5RKDS (Traded)
2020 Montana High Country 295RL
10th Anniversary Edition
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:12 AM   #29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: OCEAN VIEW
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
Thanks for all the feedback - I appreciate it. We found the unit (and deal) we were looking for in a 2020 Jayco Eagle 336FBOK. Able to order the unit in Florida and take delivery in Albany, NY in May. That made things a lot simpler for us. Ample time to shop for a truck.

The target truck now is a 3500 or F350, single - non-dually. It should have no problem with the 13,750 GVWR, which allows for all the extra stuff that snow-birding calls for.

I have not had a Ram before. Their pricing looks attractive and the I6 Cummings looks bullet proof. Does anyone have firsthand experience with both the V8 and I6 diesel engines? A friend at the RV park that has the new 10 speed Allison says it is really sweet for towing.
Sounds like our story. We went with 336 FBOK and 2020 Chevy 3500 CC Diesel and picked up our fifth wheel in Albany at RVOne. Best price by far. It's a great setup.
__________________

Karl
2020 Eagle 336 FBOK
2020 GMC 3500 AT4 Duramax
Ocean View, DE
Kkjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:21 AM   #30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: OCEAN VIEW
Posts: 19
Sounds like our story. We went with 336 FBOK and 2020 Chevy 3500 CC Diesel and picked up our fifth wheel in Albany at RVOne. Best price by far. It's a great setup.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2259.jpg  
__________________

Karl
2020 Eagle 336 FBOK
2020 GMC 3500 AT4 Duramax
Ocean View, DE
Kkjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:25 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
rkymntsno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Schertz
Posts: 807
If we were full timing or snow birding, we would've gone with a dually. A dually isn't that much more in price but there's more than price to consider such as drivability without towing. We opted for the Ram 3500 SRW. Our 2018 has 4200 lbs of payload. And I need it for the beast we're towing, 355MBQS.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 CC Longhorn LB SRW w/timbrens
2019 Jayco Eagle 355MBQS
Pullrite 2600 Superlite
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:00 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
AndyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Jefferson
Posts: 206
No matter which truck you buy, always check the yellow sticker on the driver's door post. Do not assume that all are anywhere near equal. I test drove two "similar" 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 D/A LTZ Z71 4x4 one had a payload of 1920# the one I bought is 3248#. Those stickers show the actual numbers for that actual truck, the online numbers you see are "general" numbers.
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:19 PM   #33
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Salem
Posts: 43
I bought 2019 Ford F350 Lariat DRW 6.7L Turbo

I canít out grow it. I love driving it.
Dushoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:38 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Big1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lakewood, WA.
Posts: 3,055
When you get your setup don't forget to post some pics.
__________________
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS 5th Wheel
Retired Army MSG
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:15 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
AndyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Jefferson
Posts: 206
For sure we will! Very excited for our first fiver!
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Wellington
Posts: 197
Had a 2017 2500 Silverado crew cab long bed SRW DuraMax that we really liked towing 13,000# Eagle. Moved to a 2020 F350 PowerStroke CC LB dually after looking hard at 2020 Silverado 3500 (as we get GM employee pricing). Wow, what a game changer! Power, fuel mileage, and cab room all considerable improvement. Use the truck quite a bit as a car when snow birding and didn’t mind the dually at all. Trade price was close to Chevy too.
Good luck on your decision.
Bill
__________________
2018 Eagle 321RSTS-sold
2021 Pinnacle 36SSWS
2020 F350 CC LB DW 6.7
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.