Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2019, 04:08 PM   #1

Pinnicle winterizing and Batteries

When winterizing a Pinnicle 36SSWS

1) Do you need to remove the batteries and put them some place warm if you keep it plugged in to 50amp the entire winter. ?

2) Are the 2 low point drain valves in the front basement behind the panel the only low point drain plugs or are there some in the back of the camper since both places have low point drains.?
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:41 AM   #2

IMO, I would use a quality trickle charger to maintain the batteries during storage periods. I prefer the Battery Minder brand myself. Check the water levels on a periodic basis, plug it in and forget about it. I don't remove the batteries from the TT, but my climate may be different than yours. We get cold weather, usually above 20* most of the time, but we do get brief cold snaps down to 10* at times, and a few highs just in the 30's but again, short lived. No damage or frozen batteries from following this for years.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawags45 View Post
When winterizing a Pinnicle 36SSWS

1) Do you need to remove the batteries and put them some place warm if you keep it plugged in to 50amp the entire winter. ?

2) Are the 2 low point drain valves in the front basement behind the panel the only low point drain plugs or are there some in the back of the camper since both places have low point drains.?

i have always removed the batteries and kept them in the garage, putting a trickle charger on them every so ofter to keep them topped off. That also gives me the opportunity to properly clean and service them, something that's very hard to do when they are installed. That said though, i ended up leaving them in last winter as we were taking the rig in to have the crack repaired in mid-February, and the batteries were fine. in the long run it's probably personal preference.

As far as the low point drains, we have four. The two in the basement, the other two behind the rear axle, one on each side. The right side is the FW tank drain, the one on the left for the fridge water lines.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:10 AM   #4

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #5

I do disconnect the ground on the battery. Then use this trickle charger throughout the winter.

Attached Thumbnails
Battery Tender.jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #6

I prefer the BatteryMINDer, It has a third process that de sulfates the battery which is the biggest enemy of a storage battery in long term storage status.
I am now wondering what charger is built into my Eagle HT? Need to look into that. I would not think the factory charger has that process. Any way I too will take my batteries out, put them in my shed and on the BatteryMINDer for the winter. I have done this with Deep Cycle Batteries with success for many years.

Archie

If the women don't find you handsome, they shoud at least find you handy!

Mark and Debi
Bountiful, UT
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 25.5 REOK
2017 F250 Power Stroke XL Standard Cab Long Bed
Madwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #7

Have you drained the plastic suction strainer cap, on the FW pump? Not sure if your winterizing will put antifreeze into it.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
Have you drained the plastic suction strainer cap, on the FW pump? Not sure if your winterizing will put antifreeze into it.

I never used the FW Tank so its never had water in it. Also I never turned the water on to the residential refridgerator so I would not have to winterize it. I have as portable icemaker and I only drink bottled water when camping so no need for water to run to fridge.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #9

pawags45; a charged battery will not freeze. If you have it plugged into a 50amp, and your cutoff switch set to ON, then you have no worries. This again is a matter of preference in most cases. Think of your truck battery. Do you worry about it freezing when sitting for a week or so without cranking it?? You will get many personal opinions however; a charged battery will not freeze. Stay warm. SKIDAWG
2022 RAM 3500 6.7L
Ruger, Rhodesian Ridgebacks
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidawg View Post
pawags45; a charged battery will not freeze. If you have it plugged into a 50amp, and your cutoff switch set to ON, then you have no worries. This again is a matter of preference in most cases. Think of your truck battery. Do you worry about it freezing when sitting for a week or so without cranking it?? You will get many personal opinions however; a charged battery will not freeze. Stay warm. SKIDAWG
Thznks. Thats why I had a 50amp plug installed in my driveway.