Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2020, 04:06 PM   #1

Question Please recommend a good 5th wheel or trailer with pull outs

We have a Jayco Jay Flight SLX trailer with no slide outs. We spend 2-3 days a week in it now.
We are thinking of buying a used but recent (4-5 yr or less old) 5th wheel or a trailer with slide outs for a longer term stay. NOT necessarily a Jayco depending on the rating, repair frequency etc. It may see occasional road time but mostly parked.

If you have any opinion which brand is a good (best !?!) brand, quality, frequency of repairs etc, please advice. Online ratings are all over the place for the various brands!!
Thank you and regards,
vpsnathan
a newbee !!
Vpsnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #2

Do you have a certain length in mind? Are there length or size restrictions at the places you plan on using it?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #3

I would recommend an eagle ht fifthwheel. That is what we have and have had great luck with it.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:50 PM   #4

It would help to know what you have now and what tow vehicle you have in your signature. That will help lead you to something that is not beyond what your truck can handle...or are you willing/planning a new truck also?

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:00 PM   #5

There are a number of “ultralight” and “half ton” 5th wheel trailers available at about 10,000 pound gross which make great packages with a 3/4 ton pickup. Jayco HT is one such line, also the Keystone Cougar and Grand Design 150 series.

All of these will have modern floor plans and multiple slide-outs for a large living area. We spend 10 weeks straight in our HT last year.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:23 PM   #6

As stated above, what is your current TV and are you planning to use it or upgrade?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:08 PM   #7

Thank you all for your quick replies.
We are thinking about 34 or 36 feet. 3 pull outs would be good. We do not plan to buy any tow vehicles. Weight is not an issue since we will hire a company to tow to destination unless the seller can deliver it to the RV park in central PA. Plan to use it as a summer home in PA to run away from the hot summers in TX ! Will park it for 6 months or so at an RV park and to storage for the winter. Will not be travelling with it much except if we move to a different RV park within PA. Will hire towing help.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:32 PM   #8

If you don’t have to tow it and plan to stay in it half the year, I would recommend moving up to one of the “extended stay” models. For instance, Grand Design has the Solitude line, Jayco has the Northpoint line and Keystone has the Montana line.

The “extended stay” units are just built heavier and hold up better. I would get a used extended stay before I bought a new lightweight (I say this as the owner of a Jayco HT).
Old 12-14-2020, 10:53 PM   #9

30.5CKTS if you are looking for HT

2017 Hummingbird 17RK (Sold)
2017 Jay Feather 23RSLW Sold)
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (Sold)
2017 Chev Silverado 3500HD Duramax
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:31 AM   #10

We have a 317RLOK, and it seems to fit the bill for what you have described. 3 slides, about 36' long, and we absolutely love it. We bought it last spring, and took it on several weekend trips over the summer. We had a few minor warranty issues, but those were taken care of without any problem and did not prevent us from using the rig. Looking forward to this coming spring, and more camping.
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:39 AM   #11

If it is going to stay in a seasonal site for most of it's life, and not be towed by you, why not consider a bungalow unit?

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #12

Thank you all for your recommendations. This is the first time I hear of Bungalow model. Does anyone on this forum own a bungalow unit? If so how is the reliability and experience. I assume they have slideouts!? How does the cost compare with say, 5th wheel extended stay models? Thank you
Old 12-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpsnathan View Post
Thank you all for your recommendations. This is the first time I hear of Bungalow model. Does anyone on this forum own a bungalow unit? If so how is the reliability and experience. I assume they have slideouts!? How does the cost compare with say, 5th wheel extended stay models? Thank you
Bungalow units are less expensive than a fifth wheel. They are pretty large units though, and designed to sit on seasonal sites and not be towed often. I think you might get more bang for your buck with one. The big advantage with a fifth wheel is that it is a much more stable towing platform than a travel trailer. Since you are not going to move it yourself, that negates that advantage. They also have more bells and whistles than many travel trailers, but not always. There is usually more outside storage in one too.

Personally, if I was going to keep a unit at a site all year and not move it, I would not spend the extra money on a fifth wheel. YMMV.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #14

We have a Jay Flight 38FDDS that is on my seasonal site on Cape Cod 365 days a year! Bought new in 2016 and it's been great! Roomy, 2 slides, Bedroom in the rear, living room up front with pull out sectional sofa and a pull out loveseat. It's rated to sleep 8. It's a Jay Flight but is really designed to be a stationary park trailer..
My 2017 Silverado half ton can't pull it, but that's ok, it's not going anywhere! My dealer delivered it and set it up. The Chevy pulls my 21' Boston Whaler just fine, which I also keep at my seasonal site.
Attached Thumbnails
jayco2.jpg  
Old 12-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #15

We live in our JayFlight 34rsbs. It's just over 4 years old now and have only had a couple small issues with it. It's a pull behind with 3 slides and lots of room. There are 2 long slides in the living/kitchen area. One with double recliner and table and chairs and the other is kitchen and entertainment. When they are open it creates a large open living area that's great for entertaining. Across the back is a good out sofa that makes a queen bed.

In the front is the bedroom with a deep slide and a king bed. Pushed out there is plenty of room at the foot of the bed to be comfortable. The closet is across the front like a lot of 5th wheels.

All in all it is very comfortable for long term stays.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200301_074434.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	66574Click image for larger version

Name:	20161210_180112.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	66575Click image for larger version

Name:	20170907_134927.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	66576

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:12 PM   #16

Bungalow units are also referred to as “park models”
Buddyboy1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #17

One other bonus in most park models is they have residential appliances and furniture.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 12-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #18

Thank you Cliff for your info, advice and photos.
Beautiful pics. We will explore this option. Is it 40 ft long RV? Looks very nice inside. What is the ceiling height. I am 6 ft. 2 in and like to have at least 8 ft ceiling to have some headroom! We have a 26 ft Jayco Jay flight slx (no slideouts). 7 ft. ceiling (or 6 ft 10 in!?). We feel claustrophobic!! We use them only during some weekends. OK for short use.
The large one is for our summer "residence" in PA for 5-6 months. We are in San Antonio, TX (for 32 yrs) and like to 'escape' the TX summer which has been getting worse and worse by the year. !!
Have a WOnderful and safe CHristmas Holidays as we look forward to a better 2021.
Regards,
Swami
Old 12-23-2020, 05:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpsnathan View Post
Thank you Cliff for your info, advice and photos.
Beautiful pics. We will explore this option. Is it 40 ft long RV? Looks very nice inside. What is the ceiling height. I am 6 ft. 2 in and like to have at least 8 ft ceiling to have some headroom! We have a 26 ft Jayco Jay flight slx (no slideouts). 7 ft. ceiling (or 6 ft 10 in!?). We feel claustrophobic!! We use them only during some weekends. OK for short use.
The large one is for our summer "residence" in PA for 5-6 months. We are in San Antonio, TX (for 32 yrs) and like to 'escape' the TX summer which has been getting worse and worse by the year. !!
Have a WOnderful and safe CHristmas Holidays as we look forward to a better 2021.
Regards,
Swami
I'd say it's about the same height as yours. I'm 5'10" and I don't have any problems in mine. The ceilings in the slides are my height. With the large slides it really opens up the living area so you don't pay attention to the height. The lower ceiling does help with cooling and heat since it is less space to deal with. If you can find one in your area, take a look at one in person and see what you think.

They call it a 34' but it is 39' overall with the hitch.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 12-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #20

Park Models are not Travel trailers!

Park Model Homes offer all the comforts of home at 400 square feet or less and are intended to be parked as a long-term living solutions. Dishwashers, washers and dryers, and hardwood cabinets lend to the homey feeling in a park model. Many park models also come with loft floorplans to provide more space similar to tiny home layouts. However, park models do not have tanks so the proper utilities must be available in order for you to have full function of this long term living RV option.

I think what is being referred to is a Destination Trailer. Destination Trailers are RVs designed to be easily towed and parked at a campground, RV park, or other destination for a season. Unlike Park Models, Destination Trailers are self contained and include waste holding tanks and a freshwater tanks.

Because these RVs are made for long-term use, they can be heavy and require a one ton truck to be towed. Additionally, these RVs feature beautiful residential accents to make you feel right at home in comfort and luxury. Bay windows, electric fireplaces, gourmet style kitchens with residential refrigerators and many other amenities are available.

Having these upscale features in a roomy, spacious environment while also having water and waste tanks opens up your destination options because you are not dependent on sewer and water hookups.

We live full time in a Forest River Sandpiper 385FKBH Destination Trailer and love it. The Ceiling height is 8 foot, total length is 40 foot 1 inch.
mwcotton is offline   Reply With Quote