Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2020, 02:05 PM   #1

Polishing the front cap suggestions needed

I realize to deal with the notorious fading cap the best thing is to get it painted. Ours is way out of warranty, plus the fact we are the 2nd owners make it impossible. I had our previous 2016 Wildcat repainted because of the same fading to the tune of $2600 and I supplied the replacement decals. Not ready to go that route again.

Has anyone here found a product that will make the shine last? I used some Meguires 49 Oxidation Remover with a buffer and it is doing a good job of getting rid of the chalky haze. But now I need to put something over it to protect it. It is kept under cover, but does get a few hours of morning sun on it. I have some 303 protectant and varies Maquires waxes. Anything out there that is any better? It just sucks they don't paint these at the factory. Would sure save a lot of aggravation. Thanks for any advice. Here is a shot of what I started with although it has got a bit worse since this pic was taken but has shined up nicely...

Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:16 PM   #2

A guy in the parts dept. at a Dodge dealership was tellin me about this website. He said he has rejuvenated the paint job on his old Cuda. He said it took a while but he swore by the products they sell. This isn't the home page it just happens to be some wash I was lookin at buyin.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/honeyde...snow-foam.html
Old 06-14-2020, 02:17 PM   #3
CAG

Quote:
Has anyone here found a product that will make the shine last?
I think if you do a search you will find several recent threads where this topic was discussed at length.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...eel-67625.html

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I think if you do a search you will find several recent threads where this topic was discussed at length.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...eel-67625.html
Thanks for the link. But I did a search, except used the word fading instead of oxidation which that thread is referring to. It's the same thing, I just didn't use that particular word. That's the trouble with searches, sometimes you have to use the exact wording to find what you need. My searches mainly got me people discussing getting warranty work done on it. Oh well, I will check out that link, thanks again.

Edit: I have read that link before and it is mainly talking about repainting, re-clearing or having a wrap put on it. Not much in the way of a good wax that will hold up over a decent amount of time.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
A guy in the parts dept. at a Dodge dealership was tellin me about this website. He said he has rejuvenated the paint job on his old Cuda. He said it took a while but he swore by the products they sell. This isn't the home page it just happens to be some wash I was lookin at buyin.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/honeyde...snow-foam.html
I will check them out. I have used their products in my power washer and its good stuff. Didn't think about them for polish. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:26 AM   #6

There are great reviews on this. It's what I use. it's a ceramic sealant.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYPS3PS...osi&th=1&psc=1
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayles View Post
There are great reviews on this. It's what I use. it's a ceramic sealant.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYPS3PS...osi&th=1&psc=1
Thanks! I will pick some up and give it a try. I have never used a ceramic product, but worth a try.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #8
CAG

Quote:
That's the trouble with searches, sometimes you have to use the exact wording to find what you need.
True but I hope that helped some.

The trick I use with searches is the + between words. That does help something by bringing up both words. Does not always work but, anyway.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #9

Be sure you have all the chalking off and the surface is smooth. It's a sealant so the prep before application is important. It also has uv inhibitors in it. I would use 2-3 coats.
Pullrite Superglide.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayles View Post
Be sure you have all the chalking off and the surface is smooth. It's a sealant so the prep before application is important. It also has uv inhibitors in it. I would use 2-3 coats.
I used a buffer with Meguiars Boat/RV rubbing compound and it got 95% it. If you look real hard at close range you can still see where some of it was. But that electric buffer was heavy for an old fart leaning across from a 10ft ladder and it was getting a bit spooky holding it out there any longer.

For a coating I ended up getting Griots 3 in 1 Ceramic Coating instead of the Turtle Wax. Mainly because it seems to be basically the same stuff and came in a round bottle that was was more stable on the top of my ladder instead of the oval shaped containers. It was also roughly the same price. Looks good so far and since I keep it under cover it should last a while. But I will keep my eye on it and address it as necessary. Kinda hard to tell the shine under my cover but it looks 100 times better than it did in the first pic I posted...

Old 06-16-2020, 02:22 PM   #11

Griots is good stuff also. Looks good in the pic!
Pullrite Superglide.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #12

Looks better for sure. Any boat owner will tell you that when it gets that bad, a rotary or good quality DA polisher needed. That being said, my boat was 30 years old and a good medium compound would get that cleaned up in short order. The polish and wax was key to prevent it coming back. Both 3m and Mcguiers have good medium cutting compounds to handle that.
DBuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBuley View Post
Looks better for sure. Any boat owner will tell you that when it gets that bad, a rotary or good quality DA polisher needed. That being said, my boat was 30 years old and a good medium compound would get that cleaned up in short order. The polish and wax was key to prevent it coming back. Both 3m and Mcguiers have good medium cutting compounds to handle that.
Yea, I don't have a DA (orbital) polisher, just a regular buffer that wanted to run away from me which made it even spookier up on the ladder at a weird angle. Plus a DA won't leave swirl marks like an orbital. But I don't seem to have any swirl marks, at least I can't see them in the shade. Hopefully won't have any in the sun when I get it out this weeked.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:07 AM   #14

You have to understand how the cap is made. They use a mold. First thing sprayed into the mold is your clear coat. Followed by paint and then your fiberglass/Gel Coat. Once it starts getting chalky it's over. Your through the clear coat and into the paint. If you use anything aggressive you will then be into the Gel Coat. You have to clean and re clear the cap to save it from progressing. I did just that over a year ago with auto grade 2 step shaker cans of auto clear and it still looks great.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:37 AM   #15
CAG

I might agree with you about someone ruining you cap shine if it weren’t for the fact that a number of builders including Jayco paid owners to correct an oxidizing issue on numerous units they sold. Heartland paid for mine.