Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #1

Propane tanks

We just did our third camping trip, close to home. All in RV parks with full hookups. I always bring my camper home the day before we leave to load up, and to turn on the refrigerator to start cooling down. I was told by the dealer, that when it was turned on to auto, it would switch from electric to propane as needed, assuming it would run on electric when always plugged in. Guess that’s not the case. Had the rv plugged into a 30amp plug at the Kia, but was still trying to use the propane. Also, do other campers turn off the propane tanks when not in use, ie in storage. Thanks.
Chinokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #2

First, you may have to push the switch to get it to switch over to electric. They don't always switch to electric. I don't know why. The first thing I do after turning on the ac is check the fridge to make sure it's on electric. Whenever I know it's going to be down for a long time we turn off the propane. If only for a week, or so, we leave it on rather than having to purge out the air
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:29 AM   #3

I have a 6 cu ft Dometic 2012 Outback 301BQ. If I take it off of automatic and set for gas it will stay on gas regardless of 30 amp power. If it is set on automatic it will default to electric from gas when you plug in. I always turn off propane when in storage, I hope this helps.
DB Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:13 PM   #4

My LP comes on in March and off in December or January. Fridge runs March through December or January. I travel with the LP on the fridge will run on gas.

If your fridge was in auto, was the breaker for the fridge circuit on? Did the fridge have 120 at its outlet? Sounds like you may not of had 120v to the fridge outlet. Verify that first.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinokid View Post
We just did our third camping trip, close to home. All in RV parks with full hookups. I always bring my camper home the day before we leave to load up, and to turn on the refrigerator to start cooling down. I was told by the dealer, that when it was turned on to auto, it would switch from electric to propane as needed, assuming it would run on electric when always plugged in. Guess that’s not the case. Had the rv plugged into a 30amp plug at the Kia, but was still trying to use the propane. Also, do other campers turn off the propane tanks when not in use, ie in storage. Thanks.
Do you have a 50 amp service on your RV? 50 amp has two hot wires and if you hook up to a 30 amp outlet you need a dog bone connector to power both legs, otherwise only half the stuff in your RV will be powered and your refrigerator might be on the unpowered leg.
Scottenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:56 PM   #6

When coming from storage, sometimes I have to purge the propane line. If I don't, the fridge may not start.

Once i purge the line via the stove, all is well. I can now go from AUTO to ELECT (default) to GAS and back with no problems.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote