Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2018, 03:31 PM   #1

question from a Newbie

I have 2018 317rlok bought new in April. Have been on four outings 16 nights total. This past weekend we were out for 4 days hooked up to 30 amp shore power. Went to leave on Sunday and Battery would not retract 4 point leveling system. Had to put trickle charger on Battery. On Friday night I heard a fan start to cycle on/off in the area of the fuse panel. I believe its the fan for the converter (?) Had nothing but two lights on over couch and stereo.Went out to battery. It was somewhat warm and making a bubbling sound. It is going back to dealer. Not sure if its battery or converter. Should dealer replace battery under warranty? ( I know silly question) I have to double check but I think date on battery is 11/17. Thanks
Afrnd2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #2

On shore power for 4 days the battery should have been fully charged. It's not clear when you put on the 'trickle charger'. You had to do that in the campground or ?? Also, you brought in the slides under battery power alone (disconnected from shore power and tow vehicle not connected or not running) before retracting the levelers?

Keeping the shore power connected and the battery charging while you bring in the slides and retract the levelers will keep the maximum voltage and make life easier for the 12v motors.

Hearing the fan in the converter is normal. We usually notice ours when we turn on the awning lights and the battery is charging. Yours was probably due to the battery charging (battery felt warm and you heard bubbles). The converters have a temp sensor that turns the fan on and off.

You should probably have the battery tested to rule that out as a problem and have the dealer check the battery charging voltage when on shore power.

Hope that helps.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #3

Who knows what year battery you got,how long the camper sat around with no charge.Wally World will test your battery for free.If you do not have a second battery! Might think about adding one Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
xxxcamper.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:20 PM   #4

oldmanAZ, Slides came in on battery power only. Shore. TV not connected. when I could not retract levelers I hooked up TV. Still would not retract. Tried with shore power connected. STILL could not retract. Disconnected from shore power and attached trickle charger. Waited about 10 mins. kept charger attached. was able to retract normally. Have appt. scheduled for Wednesday to-have it checked out. Thanks forcer help!
Old 10-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #5

bdreinv, Thanks for your reply. I-have been thinking about a second battery. Starting to research 6volt batteries as an option.