Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2017, 04:41 PM   #1

Reese Revolution

Have folks found it harder to uncouple the hitch when using Reese Revolution (aka sidewinder) and it’s wedge system? Any tips / tricks? Thanks
berkashire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:18 PM   #2

I have found it a bit more challenging to hook up, as you have to back straight onto the hitch due to the wedge. Takes a bit of getting used to, but after some practice, it gets easier. The trick is to not only backing straight into it, but also having the hitch at just the right height. I still like it, as it eliminates any possibility of the RV hitting the cab. I've talked to several people that wished they had gotten a sidewinder-after the fact, of course.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:32 PM   #3

Just noticed you asked about unhooking. I have a Reese 16k Pro Series hitch and sometimes have difficulty getting it to unlatch. A little jiggling usually takes care of it. Only happened a few times.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #4

Our dealer made a couple of adjustments to the positioning of the king pin for a smoother hitch/unhitch. They said this was a common issue. Had trouble with the 5th W clearance to the pin. I thin the 'claw' was not gaining clearance if that makes sense. Obviously I'm not an expert here; I'm the 'directional' person. Also, putting your foot on the brake, releasing from park while foot still firmly on brake, then placing back in park seems to release some pressure.
jonesykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #5

x2 what rryman said. It took some practice and trial & error to discover one has to get everything at the same level and lined up straight.

To hookup; I back the TV under the pen box, I manually level the hitch as it nears the pen box. At that time, I adjust the landing legs to raise or lower the pen box to be slightly (1/8") above the hitch, then back under.

To unhook; Pretty much reverse order. Extend the landing legs until I visually see the weight of the RV is off the hitch, pull the release and drive out. (sometimes I do have to have the wife wiggle the TV in order to pull the release)

Let me add, this is my first 5th wheel, thus I have no experience with a regular pen box. But, I do love the revolution.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:50 PM   #6

PS- I have also found putting a little grease on the front corners of the wedge helps.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:03 AM   #7

I've ordered the custom wedge for my hitch to replace the generic one provided. I've heard that might help in process. The parking brake tip is a good one and I'll try that next time. Thanks!
berkashire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:42 PM   #8

Have the revolution too. What a pain to line up. I sent for the new wedge and it helped a little bit you have to be so exact on height and side to side. My buddies that have 5 era couldn't believe it
ceasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #9

I use the Revolution with a B&W hitch and haven't really had any issues.
I have the custom wedge, and have put Slip Plate dry lube on the wedge, hitch head, and pin. no issues disconnecting. You do have to back in pretty straight to hook up, but not too difficult. I set the trailer height to have the pin box ride up the saddle on the hitch and all is well when connecting.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:58 PM   #10

Reese Hitch

It took a little practice to feel comfortable about hooking and unhooking. About 50% of the time we have to move the truck forward and back to release jaws. I find hooking up a little easier. I find that the pin box will shift slightly if I'm not perfectly lined up. As already mentioned keep pin and wedge well lubed along with the wear plate. Very satisfied with the revolution hitch !
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:35 PM   #11

X2 on pretty much everything said here.
1) Get a custom wedge vs. the generic wedge that comes with the Revolution - it does help some.
2) Make sure the Dealer (or whoever setup the hitch) doesn't have the wedge too far forward. If it's really "wedged" (pun intended) into the hitch it will be hard to release.
3) put some dry lube on everything.
4) When I lift the front to start the unhitch process, if the truck is pulled up with the 5th wheel then suddenly drops, I know it's tight. Let it back down, a bit. Then try pulling the TV forward a bit. It's usually better to have the TV pulling forward on the claws than pushed forward into the claws.
5) don't get frustrated - you really will get better at it over time and will start to learn what to look for. The first time I took my brand new 5th wheel to the storage lot after picking it up from the dealer I couldn't get it to unhitch. After trying and trying I called the dealer who sent a mechanic 15 miles to my storage lot. He pulled the truck forward, dropped the 5th wheel down about an inch and popped the release lever up. I never felt like such an idiot - but he apologized for not spending more time with me on the lot.

Bottom line - Revolution/Sidewinders take more technique to hitch and unhitch but it beats crunching the back of your cab when making a turn.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
revolution