Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #1

Residential Fridge Durability

We are looking for input with regards to the durability of the residential fridges. The 2018 North Point has them as the standard fridge. Will the fridge components last on the roadways of North America? Our excursions are usually long haul, non boondocking, so we aren't worried about power issues. We just want to know about durability or problems like keeping the doors closed enroute or anything else that might be encountered.

Thanks

4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:12 AM   #2

The one in our 2015 has functioned fine with over 20,000 miles of towing. The door lock holds fine, never an open door, but I do recommend fridge bars for the shelves to help keep things in place, no different than a standard RV fridge.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #3

We have a 2015 left over with a Samsung after a year it will only cool to 60 degrees in fridge but freezer works fine. Taking to dealer in morning for replacement.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #4

Sounds like it's not defrosting.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:41 PM   #5

No staying on defrost as per Samsung.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinhomeauto View Post
No staying on defrost as per Samsung.
But that's not because it's in a RV.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
But that's not because it's in a RV.
I also have wondered about that
mikem56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRGMC View Post
..... Our excursions are usually long haul, non boondocking, so we aren't worried about power issues.

After working with klassic (member) on his SOLAR output / battery issue, he found that his residential Frigidaire unit in his 5er, was killing his batteries even with SOLAR. With some research, we found that the fridge, while in DEFROST mode, hits the batteries for 45+ amps. So the issue is, even with SOLAR and the TV charging the batteries, their combined output was not enough power to maintain 45+ amps while in DEFROST mode. Unfortunately, his batteries were no where near fully charged when he arrived at his campsite. The defrost mode is activated by the fridge's microcontroller, so there is no set timetable that can be followed.

We ended up designing a circuit that used LED's to display the current status of the fridge (defroster on/off, standby) and a switch to keep the defroster from activating while traveling or not on shore power. So far the circuit works great and the batteries are not being killed by the defrost cycle.

So, unless you have a generator running, power your RV's 120VAC, you probably will have a power issue (battery type). I researched and somewhere along the line, I located a document that indicated the fridge should last 10 - 12 hours on batteries, but I believe that if run that long it discharged the batteries to the 10.5 VDC (dead 12VDC battery) disconnect voltage for the inverter. It also did not mention how many or what size batteries were used to obtain those numbers.

I am sure some of the members that have the residential fridge will share their experiences with you.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:00 AM   #9

We have a Frigidaire in our 2015. No problems what so ever. With Solar it works all night along with DW sleeping with TV on all night also. I think the misconception is due to batteries. I use 6 AGM deep cycles 12 volt units. I have enough storage to run all night even in shorter daylight hours. I do run the generator in the AM for about 30 minutes for coffee pot etc then the solar kicks in. We have a toyhauler and are off grid 80% of the time.
Door stay shut due to RV lock on doors, the ice maker is a blessing. We have dragged this thing over 30,000 miles and have had no issue. Jayco sizes the invertor based upon the residential fridge. Past RV's has made us anti Domectic and Norcold fridge folks. We found the biggest problem is there are few techs that know how to work on them, BTW there are Class actions out there also.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg 6 AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...albums843.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #10

Loboclone, I agree with all the additional power you have, there should not be an issue.

My point is based on the average purchaser that gets the residential fridge and the dealer only puts in a single 85Ah battery or maybe if they are lucky 2 85Ah batteries. Either way, the battery(s) are not going to be able to keep up with the refrigerator's apatite for AMPs. With the batteries getting the bulk of the discharge, the battery life will be greatly shortened and possibly the fridges life because or under voltage (AC).

The average RVer has no interest in tracking voltages and if the fridge has an error code (low voltage) that issue is gone when they plug into shore power and reset, but the battery may have dropped to 10volts or so. Over time they MAY notice that the amount of time the batteries are supplying enough power is decreasing with each camping adventure.

RV manufactures give the buyer what they want, even if there is a lack of proper engineering to back their decisions.

Don'

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR

2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is online now   Reply With Quote