Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
BLK

Returning 36ssws to jayco for repairs

Anyone had any luck with returning their unit to Jayco for repairs? We have a 2019 36SSWS. Last winter, it was in the Camping World repair shop for 6 months. Long list of issues. One was the side wall cracking around front slide. Camping World repaired it. Within 6 months the crack starting to come back along with additional cracks at the other corners of the slide opening. Our unit was just returned to Camping World a few weeks ago to address this issue along with additional new problems! Wondering how long will Jayco keep this unit? My guess is they have a long list of units to repaired in front of ours. I really do not see the cracking as something that will ever go away without reinforcing the structure of the unit. Anyone else had experience with this?
Has anyone ever had Jayco purchase unit back from them due to poor design??
BLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK View Post
Anyone had any luck with returning their unit to Jayco for repairs? We have a 2019 36SSWS. Last winter, it was in the Camping World repair shop for 6 months. Long list of issues. One was the side wall cracking around front slide. Camping World repaired it. Within 6 months the crack starting to come back along with additional cracks at the other corners of the slide opening. Our unit was just returned to Camping World a few weeks ago to address this issue along with additional new problems! Wondering how long will Jayco keep this unit? My guess is they have a long list of units to repaired in front of ours. I really do not see the cracking as something that will ever go away without reinforcing the structure of the unit. Anyone else had experience with this?
Have you made an appointment with them? For motorized they were scheduling 4 months out and plan on keeping my coach for 2 weeks for slide issues and painting. My appointment is Apr 28.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:19 PM   #3

Apparently the sidewall cracking is somewhat common across all brands. Many have had their units back at the factory for repair. Here is a thread on the subject.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tup-63985.html
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #4
BLK

We were just informed by Camping World that they are sending it back to Jayco. Waiting to hear back on time frame for appointment.
BLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK View Post
That won't happen.

As to the crack I took our 2015 to the factory for the repairs. They do reinforce the frame and structure which the dealer probably did not do. The biggest delay at the factory is getting it scheduled into the paint shop after they complete the repair.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #6

Mine went to Jayco Nov. 2018 for suspension replacement, complete roof replacement, sidewall crack repair and slide repair. They also did some other minor repairs and it was there 4 weeks which included travel from Georgia to Indiana and back. They did a very good job and have had no issues since.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:58 AM   #7

We are scheduled with Vogt RV in Ft Worth in May. They were recommended by Jayco, who are booked through next July. Vogt could have done it sooner but we are working west slowly. They claim no repeat cracks on their repairs. They’ll also take care of the other outstanding recalls. I like them because they answer their phones promptly, speak intelligently and return emails quickly- all things I don’t get from Jayco
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:24 AM   #8

Our unit displayed the stress crack under the bedroom slide and was repaired at the factory in October of this year. They remove part of the sidewall, added structural support, re-painted and added new decals. It looked perfect when we picked it up. They offered to transport to and from as well. Two weeks total from drop off to pickup although we scheduled months in advance.

On our way back home it re-cracked in a the same general area. They picked it up on December 1st and it was back in the shop on December 4. As of yesterday they were adding/changing for a new support fix that was engineered for this issue.

I've been very happy with the Jayco customer service, their response and proactive updates. Not happy about the engineering issue with the crack and I'm hopeful it will be resolved this time. If not, another course of action will probably be needed to resolve as I don't plan to make this a yearly event.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:33 AM   #9

As in another thread, I also strongly believe this is related to equipment and highway conditions. We have added a Trailsaver Airbag hitch now and I also plan to add the Roadmaster system to the trailer.

My Ford is a great tow vehicle but with the LB and DRW and stock setup the trailer and truck experience the full impact of road imperfections. It still amazes me though why Jayco will not put a stress joint at the slide. Every 5th wheel I've looked at including Luxe, New Horizons and others use one.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:45 AM   #10

Jayco told me that the road master installation would void the warranty on the frame. Little bit of irony, eh?
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Jayco told me that the road master installation would void the warranty on the frame. Little bit of irony, eh?
Interesting. I assume that’s because holes are drilled or welding is done to frame to secure the upper brackets.

The ride is sure a lot smoother with the shocks installed. Perhaps that will keep me from having to use my factory frame warranty to begin with (fingers crossed). I, too, believe the cracking is from road imperfection effects on the coach.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #12

I spent a fortune taking mine to there factory, flying back to Fl and than doing it all again six weeks later. They told me it was on me to bring it to them. New roof, new suspension for tire rub, bent outriggers and 10 other big items. It was all out of my pocket and there repairs mostly were not that good.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #13

Jayco

My jayco motorhome was fine until the navigation went out, we took it to Camping world, they fixed the navacation and broke the backup camera, the doghouse was broken while fixing radio, they damaged the top of the dash while working on the radio. Four months now and it's still broken sitting in the shop
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #14

Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3kirk View Post
As in another thread, I also strongly believe this is related to equipment and highway conditions. We have added a Trailsaver Airbag hitch now and I also plan to add the Roadmaster system to the trailer.

My Ford is a great tow vehicle but with the LB and DRW and stock setup the trailer and truck experience the full impact of road imperfections. It still amazes me though why Jayco will not put a stress joint at the slide. Every 5th wheel I've looked at including Luxe, New Horizons and others use one.
We got that crack also! Jayco was booked up for several months and asked if I would be OK with taking it to a dealer in Minnesota. Made arrangements with the dealer took it up there two weeks later and they had it just a little over a week. Did a great job and they did put in a stress joint, they told me that Jayco didn't recommend it but if it was OK with me they would put one in. No crack since then.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:52 PM   #15

We had our 5th wheel there twice Several years ago (before they were sold) Service people were super. Had slide out problems (Swinteck) they were trying to fix. Thought they had it repaired. We went home and it happened again. Towed it back to Jayco. They worked on it two days. We were unable to stay in it one night (they have a hook up at their service center) The night we were unable to stay in it they paid for a hotel for us. After 3 days they asked for us to leave it for them to continue working on it and they would "ship" it back to us when finished. They sent it back to our dealer for us to pick up. Sad, but still seeing lots of Swinteck slide complaints. Seems things have changed since they are no longer family owned. Amish are no longer doing their furniture, etc.
W Kearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:06 AM   #16

Camping world big mistake. They can mess up an easy repair.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote