Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #1

rooftop heat pump not working?

Our new Pinnacle came with a rooftop heat pump and I am trying to verify that it works before I start the season. Here is what I have for symptoms:
Outside temperature 58 degrees F
set thermostat to "electric heat" and 60 degrees for the setpoint
Heatpump runs with normal sounds
Heatpump output air is same temp as ambient air. It is not warm at all
Left it run for 5 minutes and there was no change in output temp.

I did not violate the ambient must be greater than 40 degree or the no more than 3 degrees between ambient and the setpoint requirements.

I am suspicious that the heat pump does not work. What is your opinion?

Additionally on a new unit that is still under warranty, do I use it for a season and record all of my squawks and then take it in and have all of the items fixed at once?
CraigBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBU View Post
Our new Pinnacle came with a rooftop heat pump and I am trying to verify that it works before I start the season. Here is what I have for symptoms:
Outside temperature 58 degrees F
set thermostat to "electric heat" and 60 degrees for the setpoint
Heatpump runs with normal sounds
Heatpump output air is same temp as ambient air. It is not warm at all
Left it run for 5 minutes and there was no change in output temp.

I did not violate the ambient must be greater than 40 degree or the no more than 3 degrees between ambient and the setpoint requirements.

I am suspicious that the heat pump does not work. What is your opinion?

Additionally on a new unit that is still under warranty, do I use it for a season and record all of my squawks and then take it in and have all of the items fixed at once?

I tested my heat pump the other day on my 2020 377, and the BMPRO says something like " fault see owners manual" I checked the manual and couldn't find anything! so, I'm in a similar boat, the blower blows but no heat.
Wind Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:37 PM   #3

I would check the connection on the heating element:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...ach-8-ac_62763
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:01 PM   #4

The supply air temperature for any heat pump system is typically only a few degrees warmer than the room ambient/return air. Test your room air and discharge supply air with the same thermometer to determine if it is working.
RuneMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Bandit View Post
I tested my heat pump the other day on my 2020 377, and the BMPRO says something like " fault see owners manual" I checked the manual and couldn't find anything! so, I'm in a similar boat, the blower blows but no heat.
we updated the firmware in the BMPRO command center doodad and bingo bango ours works flawlessly now!

2020 North Point 377 RLBH
2021 RAM 4500 Laramie 8' dually bed
Wife, Kiddo, RIP our beloved Pitbull Jemma :(.
Wind Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:20 PM   #6

How do you update the firmware? Is it done with an internet connection on your phone? or the BMPRO in the unit?
GeorgiaTrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:02 PM   #7

What finally fixed the problem was when the dealer realized that the factory mistakenly put the heat pump unit in the back bedroom and the back bedroom AC was installed in the kitchen where the heat pump was supposed to be. Once the two units were put in their proper places everything worked. It still cost me $80 to fix the warranty problem.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTrains View Post
How do you update the firmware? Is it done with an internet connection on your phone? or the BMPRO in the unit?
You have to do it on the tablet in the camper. First you have to leave Jaycommand and go to settings. Then look for the Google logo, and click on it. if you have a google account, log in and head over to the play store. Now look for BMPRO Jaycommand, I seem to remember that, but Jaycommand will work. When you select it as if to install, it will recognize you already have it and ask you to upgrade. It will upgrade the APP on the tablet first, and shortly after it will tell you need to update the firmware right there. Once done and back in Jaycommand you will need to input your JayCommand login and password again. You are done! If you do not have a Google account obviously set one up and login before going to the App Store.,
Old 10-24-2021, 02:31 PM   #9

Quote:
What finally fixed the problem was when the dealer realized that the factory mistakenly put the heat pump unit in the back bedroom and the back bedroom AC was installed in the kitchen where the heat pump was supposed to be. Once the two units were put in their proper places everything worked. It still cost me $80 to fix the warranty problem.

Curious, what do you mean by the units were put in their proper place? Do you mean physically? or just software fix in the BMPRO? And why $80 for warranty work? Thanks
Old 10-24-2021, 07:03 PM   #10

I mean our units was supposed to be configured with a 13.5KBTU AC in the rear bedroom, and the living room upfront and a 15KBTU heatpump in the center (kitchen). Instead the heat pump unit was installed in the back bedroom and the rear bedroom AC unit was installed where the heat pump was supposed to be in the center over the kitchen. First trip out the sail switch in the forced air furnace failed and the heatpump was inop. After we got these problems resolved, the camper has been trouble free.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Mine has same problem. How many others had same? I bought mine 1 year old. Jayco says sorry no warranty for Mia installed AC. Extended warranty does not cover. $500-600 to switch units. So how many others had same problem? Mine is 2021.
SteveP2418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:35 AM   #12

How many others had same problem? I have same not under warranty. $500-600.
SteveP2418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:55 AM   #13

i dont even use mine. Worthless, especially in anything colder than 40 degrees. Get a Heater Buddy and you'll have a smile on your face.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP2418 View Post
How many others had same problem? I have same not under warranty. $500-600.
Ours works fine; it is called the main unit. We have 3 ACs in this unit, and it is a '21 model