Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 54
SRW vs DRW whats the real story

My current set up is a 2013 RAM Diesel 3500 4x4 Long Horn Larime Single Rear Wheel (SRW) axle with a 6 1/2' bed. The truck has an Airlift rear air bags system with auto level (dual on board compressors).

I'm using the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. My RV is the 377 RLBH. (43')

The truck is rated at 17K towing, the RV weighs in at just under 15K.

So far I've only pulled it from the dealer to home (about 20 miles). It felt fine.

I didn't what to get a dualy because the truck is my daily driver. Parking a dually at a retail parking lot is a challenge at best. Also I keep my truck in my garage and a dually would take up too much room.

Opinions on my set up?
__________________

Chopperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Kahoneys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: LaCrescent, MN
Posts: 1,422
Your just fine. I have put on thousands of miles with my SRW and my 377. Last winter went to Disney and back to MN and had no issues. DRW will give you less lateral movement and IF a tire blew on the TV you would have another to take the load and help you get to safety but we had the same issues as you about garage space and parking. My truck is my day to day vehicle so had to work for both home and RVing.
__________________

__________________
2016 Northpoint 377rlbh
2016 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Diesel
Pullrite Super Glide
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 6 YO Daughter
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Mopar_Earl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Saint Thomas, PA
Posts: 1,498
If you're within all your weights you are good. If you're over your payload/truck GVW then you should of went DRW. My 2018 SRW gvw is 12300. 2018 DRW is 14k gvw. So definitely makes a difference between SRW and DRW when it comes down to the weights involved.

I myself wouldn't buy a DRW truck unless I needed those weigh capacities. My SRW covers me with plenty to spare on the weight capacities.


Earl
__________________
2017 Eagle 293RKDS, factory ordered, lots of mods and upgrades.
2018 Ram 3500 crew cab long bed SRW diesel 6spd Aisin 4wd Tradesman.
B&W Ram puck 5th wheel
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Glenside
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperdoc View Post
My current set up is a 2013 RAM Diesel 3500 4x4 Long Horn Larime Single Rear Wheel (SRW) axle with a 6 1/2' bed. The truck has an Airlift rear air bags system with auto level (dual on board compressors).

I'm using the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. My RV is the 377 RLBH. (43')

The truck is rated at 17K towing, the RV weighs in at just under 15K.

So far I've only pulled it from the dealer to home (about 20 miles). It felt fine.

I didn't what to get a dualy because the truck is my daily driver. Parking a dually at a retail parking lot is a challenge at best. Also I keep my truck in my garage and a dually would take up too much room.

Opinions on my set up?

Did you run the truck over the scales, and then again with the trailer attached?

In reality, loaded up, you're closer to 16k lbs, if not higher with washer/dryer, generator, etc. I've run my 2018 377 over the scales and come in right under 16k with all our stuff in it.

From what I see on Trailer Life trailer guides, your rated max tow is 16,400 lbs? So you're almost at the limit there.

But, and this is where a dually has the advantage, what is your RAWR (rear axle weight rating)?

Pin weight of a loaded 377, without generator or front washer/dryer, is in the 3200-3300lbs range. That's the most important ratio to focus on: pin weight to RAWR of the truck.

(and none of this takes into account non-com Class A licensing that your state may have)
__________________

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:21 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Mopar_Earl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Saint Thomas, PA
Posts: 1,498
The real story is if you're over weight on your SRW or not. Door sticker, Ram published caps and the scales are the truth and real story. Scale your truck and trailer and compare to the door sticker and Ram published caps and the truth shall set you free. That's the only method available.


Earl
__________________
2017 Eagle 293RKDS, factory ordered, lots of mods and upgrades.
2018 Ram 3500 crew cab long bed SRW diesel 6spd Aisin 4wd Tradesman.
B&W Ram puck 5th wheel
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
Did you run the truck over the scales, and then again with the trailer attached?

In reality, loaded up, you're closer to 16k lbs, if not higher with washer/dryer, generator, etc. I've run my 2018 377 over the scales and come in right under 16k with all our stuff in it.

From what I see on Trailer Life trailer guides, your rated max tow is 16,400 lbs? So you're almost at the limit there.

But, and this is where a dually has the advantage, what is your RAWR (rear axle weight rating)?

Pin weight of a loaded 377, without generator or front washer/dryer, is in the 3200-3300lbs range. That's the most important ratio to focus on: pin weight to RAWR of the truck.

(and none of this takes into account non-com Class A licensing that your state may have)
No W/D or generator. I checked the Trailer Life guide. It is incorrect. I have 3.42 rear gears. It says I'm under 10K. I checked the Chrysler website. It has me at 17,370
Chopperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperdoc View Post
snip....... Opinions on my set up?
You may be just fine..., but we all have different loading requirements/habits. As mentioned, a brief visit at a CAT scale will confirm your specific TV/FW "loaded" conditions.

Bob
__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:44 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Glenside
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperdoc View Post
No W/D or generator. I checked the Trailer Life guide. It is incorrect. I have 3.42 rear gears. It says I'm under 10K. I checked the Chrysler website. It has me at 17,370
Hm, 3.42 rear gear is pretty tall, that typically reduces tow capacity.

So what is your RAWR? Run your truck over the scale, fully loaded with fuel and passengers, and you'll find your actual rear (drive) axle weight. Subtract that from the RAWR and that is what you have left to safely accommodate the pin weight of your 377.
__________________

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 54
I've been discussing this with a coworker. He just bought a 2019 Chevy dually and is planning a custom trailer build. 1/2 RV and 1/2 toy hauler for his 65 Vett. He's read up quite a bit on this subject. He also recommended I weight the truck and truck trailer combo and get some real numbers.

Gonna stop at a truck stop on the weigh to Birmingham tomorrow and get the combo weight. I'm pretty confidant I'm within weight specs. but I will be good to confirm everything.

Worst case I'll get a new dually out of the deal.

Thanks for the input!

Vic
Chopperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:17 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Mopar_Earl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Saint Thomas, PA
Posts: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
Hm, 3.42 rear gear is pretty tall, that typically reduces tow capacity.

So what is your RAWR? Run your truck over the scale, fully loaded with fuel and passengers, and you'll find your actual rear (drive) axle weight. Subtract that from the RAWR and that is what you have left to safely accommodate the pin weight of your 377.
Could be good on axle weights but still exceed the GVW.

Ram trucks with Aisin transmissions and 3.42 have higher capacities. Only available on 3500 trucks. DRW with Max tow package includes 4.10 axle for 14k gvw.
My 2018 Ram with Aisin transmission was only available in 3.42 ratio. The 68re trans came with 3.73 and you could order 4.10's.


Earl
__________________

Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.