Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #1

Storing 2018 377RLBH

I will be storing my 5th wheel for the summer, in a building with power and I plan to leave the 2 AC units on, set at about 80.

3 questions:

1. In my last trailer I could leave both fridge doors open and the fridge off. in this trailer the left door (Freezer) can only open about 1 inch when the slide is closed. Should I leave the fridge on or off with the doors open with something stuck in the freezer door so it has the 1 inch opening?

2. When you bring in the passenger side main slide in the back it bends the rug against the kitchen island. I am thinking over six months that bend might become permanent. Any thoughts?

3. I have 2 batteries, I am wondering if I can disconnect them or if I do that will that turn of the 12 volt power inside and mess everything up. I am worried about needing to add water to the batteries during the summer but I won't be around to do that.

thanks

Van Sayler
2018 377 RLBH
vsayler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:28 AM   #2

1. Since you will be plugged in with the AC on why not leave the frig on too? That is what I would do.

2. I have always wondered about the carpet folded up when that slide is closed for an extended time. Have no answer for you.

3. I would top off the water when you store it and you should be good leaving the batteries connected. That way they will be good and charged when you get it out.

I store my unit at my house. Leave it plugged in all the time. AC set to 80 during the summer. Heat set to 40 during the winter. Frig on with stuff in it. Batteries connected all the time. The only difference are my slides. I tend to operate them all once every week or two to help keep the seals from getting stiff. It has set for up to 3 months at a time like that when I have not been able to use it.

If it is plugged in I don't think you have to worry about much since it is like being at a campground for an extended period of time.

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #3

Our 12 cu. frig door will open just a tiny bit, put a towel in the door to keep open. Have a friend they never turn there frig off, been 8 years now! Have same carpet problem too. Close dining slide first check carpet. Then close kitchen.Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #4

I would do as Jason suggested and leave the fridge turned on. I store mine at home and I leave it on the whole time. I also leave my roof vents open and I turn on the fan to low. I have vent covers on all my roof vents.
My rationale is the fan can help remove some of the stale hot air while the AC picks up the slack. I only run 1 AC as I only have 30 amps at home.

The carpet is the only thing I cannot answer. I’ve had mine closed up for a couple months and after opening it up, the carpet flattened out after a couple of hours.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsayler View Post
I will be storing my 5th wheel for the summer, in a building with power and I plan to leave the 2 AC units on, set at about 80.

3 questions:

1. In my last trailer I could leave both fridge doors open and the fridge off. in this trailer the left door (Freezer) can only open about 1 inch when the slide is closed. Should I leave the fridge on or off with the doors open with something stuck in the freezer door so it has the 1 inch opening?

2. When you bring in the passenger side main slide in the back it bends the rug against the kitchen island. I am thinking over six months that bend might become permanent. Any thoughts?

3. I have 2 batteries, I am wondering if I can disconnect them or if I do that will that turn of the 12 volt power inside and mess everything up. I am worried about needing to add water to the batteries during the summer but I won't be around to do that.

thanks

Van Sayler
2018 377 RLBH
1) I would leave the doors open. Make sure the fridge is dry so no mold grows but no reason to waste electricity for 6 months if nothing is being kept in it. I do this with mine when not in use.

2) I have the same issue and when the slide is out I step the carpet down and it lays flat in a few hours. The carpet is pretty thin and has no memory!

3) Leave the batteries attached. If you unit is plugged in the inverter will keep them charged and the water shouldn't eveporate that fast. Check it when you leave and when you get back.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice!
Van
vsayler is offline   Reply With Quote