Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #1

Truck Stop Questions

An admittedly dumb question - what are the rules about regular trucks using truck stops for fuel? With my F250 and fifth wheel, I've got some length to contend with, and when I was driving from Indiana to Texas it would have been nice to use some of the truck stops with their easy in and out.

When I was leaving Indiana, I stopped at a gas station and couldn't find in auto diesel pumps. So I pulled into a trucker lane and walked inside to get the pump turned on. (I was the only person in the trucker lanes). Lady asked for my DOT and Business name, and I told her I was just a regular truck. You would have thought her brain slid out of her ear. She told me I had to use the Auto pump. I told her I didn't see one, and then she pointed out a diesel pump that would have been a pain if I was just in my truck (with no trailer) and would have blocked like 3 car pumps in the process.

After that - I drove the remaining 1200 miles using the auto diesel pumps..

So my question - is that the norm? Can we not utilize the trucker lanes without causing some sort of government melt-down? I did stop at a Flying J, and as I was filling up admiring my work for threading the fifth wheel and truck through a complicated maze of cars, I saw there was an RV lane... D'oh. That would have been easier for sure.

Thoughts?

datx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #2

Most truck stop diesel pumps are of a high volume pump. I am not sure one of their nozzles will even fit an F250 fuel tank opening. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I think the Pilot and some other truck stop type stations do have islands for RVs with both diesel and gasoline.

Murff

Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Most truck stop diesel pumps are of a high volume pump. I am not sure one of their nozzles will even fit an F250 fuel tank opening. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I think the Pilot and some other truck stop type stations do have islands for RVs with both diesel and gasoline.

Murff
I have used a truck stop in the past and didn't have any issues with the nozzle.. Not sure if that was an exception, though..
datx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by datx View Post
An admittedly dumb question - what are the rules about regular trucks using truck stops for fuel? With my F250 and fifth wheel, I've got some length to contend with, and when I was driving from Indiana to Texas it would have been nice to use some of the truck stops with their easy in and out.

When I was leaving Indiana, I stopped at a gas station and couldn't find in auto diesel pumps. So I pulled into a trucker lane and walked inside to get the pump turned on. (I was the only person in the trucker lanes). Lady asked for my DOT and Business name, and I told her I was just a regular truck. You would have thought her brain slid out of her ear. She told me I had to use the Auto pump. I told her I didn't see one, and then she pointed out a diesel pump that would have been a pain if I was just in my truck (with no trailer) and would have blocked like 3 car pumps in the process.

After that - I drove the remaining 1200 miles using the auto diesel pumps..

So my question - is that the norm? Can we not utilize the trucker lanes without causing some sort of government melt-down? I did stop at a Flying J, and as I was filling up admiring my work for threading the fifth wheel and truck through a complicated maze of cars, I saw there was an RV lane... D'oh. That would have been easier for sure.

Thoughts?
I have used them several times while towing my trailer. I just make sure I am not blocking the truckers who need to fill up.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #5

I drive a Jetta TDI. ULS is ULS all over the U.S.A. But the OTR trucks use a MUCH BIGGER nozzle (don't ask ).

So you have to find the Diesel pumps with the smaller (though not as small as gasoline) nozzles.

And Yeah, the OTR folks don't want to know about us 'small potatoes' 30 gallon fill-ups.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #6

Indiana is the "weird" state since it taxes commercial diesel different. That is why they don't like you using the "big boy" pumps. I avoid fueling when towing in Indiana.

I use the truck pumps in all other states if the regular pumps are too close or congested.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:00 PM   #7

I have used them many times, in Montana, Oregon, Idaho and California. The larger nozzles pump more volume, so big rigs can get their 100 gallons quick. You just have to be aware and I never lock them on, just trigger them.
We get discount at Pilot and Flying J and use their RV lanes, but otherwise the truck lanes.

2013 Eagle 29.5RKS
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #8
Site Team

When towing I always use the truck lanes. Otherwise I would block the whole front.
Never had a question from the clerk or truckers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #9

Truck lanes have bigger high flow novels. My 04 F350 and my 15 F350 fuel neck opening does fit these bigger models. Don't run them full out or you'll be covered in fuel. I'm not kidding.....

I generally try to avoid the truck lanes. Most aren't pay at the pump and you have to go in, get the pump activated, fill up, then go back in to finalize the deal. Too much work if another option is available with pay at the pump.

If no other option is available, I'll use them and tell them I'm a private vehicle. After filling, pull ahead so the next truck can pull up to start fueling while you're in paying.

No reason to be afraid.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
High-volume diesel nozzles are not a problem in my RAM, as long as the nozzle is fully inserted.... Works just fine!

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote