Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2021, 05:42 PM   #1

Washer/Dryer Combo Install Questions

I have questions about installing a Splendidie 2100XC combo unit into a 2020 32rlts Pinnacle 5th wheel. I have never looked closely at a unit that was professionally installed. I'd like to do it right. Any regrets, mistakes, tips or comments are welcome!

I see many install them without a drip pan. I think it would be a good idea to have one. If using one, a hole for the drain is needed. I hate the idea of drilling blindly into the floor, where is the best location? Does the washer still need the foot mounting brackets that screw to the floor if it's sitting in a drip pan?

Next is the orientation of the washer. Water hookups are in the right side wall in the front bedroom closet, I need to remove a shelf. Does the WASHER DOOR usually face the REAR of the 5th wheel or does the REAR of the WASHER face the wall with water hookups? Is there any advantage to either direction?

Lastly, there is no sticker to mark the dryer vent hole location. Anyone have measurements??
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:38 PM   #2

If you can wait until in the morning I will see what I can do for you. Our 2020 32RLTS has the same washer but it was installed by my dealer. The door does face the rear which I would think is the only way it would work. They used a couple of L brackets to secure it to the floor but no drip pan. It fits pretty tight so I'm not sure you could get a drip pan in there and then be able to secure the washer to the floor.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:45 AM   #3

You can use a drip and not use the drain. That's what I did. The pan will hold water and hopefully you will notice it before the pan overflows. Provided it's not a huge sudden leak. Be sure to install the travel lock kit to hold it in place. It installs down through the pan. So you will want to use sealer and on the screw threads. I installed the same unit but the non-vented version. They make two different pans, so be sure to order the correct one. The pan for my unit has a detachable front lip to allow you to slide the washer into the pan. Also to give access to the drain strainer screen.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:19 AM   #4

Drip pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
You can use a drip and not use the drain. That's what I did. The pan will hold water and hopefully you will notice it before the pan overflows. Provided it's not a huge sudden leak. Be sure to install the travel lock kit to hold it in place. It installs down through the pan. So you will want to use sealer and on the screw threads. I installed the same unit but the non-vented version. They make two different pans, so be sure to order the correct one. The pan for my unit has a detachable front lip to allow you to slide the washer into the pan. Also to give access to the drain strainer screen.
Earl
I'm also thinking a drain for the drip pan wouldn't be needed. If a leak does occur I'd notice it in the pan before any major water damage.
Thinking of this drip tray-
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MUSTEE-D...r-95/303880290
Should fit my opening and I should have 3-3/4" extra room to get the foot mount brackets inside it and have access to the pump screen.

Does the carpet have to be removed before the drip pan is installed?

Now trying to figure out exhaust duct routing and if anything needs to be removed to get it into the 5er....
TS3 Hitch
Old 10-14-2021, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
I'm also thinking a drain for the drip pan wouldn't be needed. If a leak does occur I'd notice it in the pan before any major water damage.
Thinking of this drip tray-
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MUSTEE-D...r-95/303880290
Should fit my opening and I should have 3-3/4" extra room to get the foot mount brackets inside it and have access to the pump screen.

Does the carpet have to be removed before the drip pan is installed?

Now trying to figure out exhaust duct routing and if anything needs to be removed to get it into the 5er....
Used the Splendide drain pan that my combo unit called for.

My compartment had a bare wood floor up off the subfloor. Not sure if I'd remove the carpet or not. Since there is carpet, I assume it's sitting directly on the subfloor. So if you decide to remove the unit to use for storage, you'd have bare subfloor showing. If that's the case, I'd leave the carpet.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
If you can wait until in the morning I will see what I can do for you. Our 2020 32RLTS has the same washer but it was installed by my dealer. The door does face the rear which I would think is the only way it would work. They used a couple of L brackets to secure it to the floor but no drip pan. It fits pretty tight so I'm not sure you could get a drip pan in there and then be able to secure the washer to the floor.

Jim, I'd really appreciate a pic or 2 of your install or some measurements of the exterior vent hole location. Especially interested in how the dryer vent duct is ran, and the location of the exterior vent hole. I'm guessing the duct needs to go over the top of the washer?
Thanks!
TS3 Hitch
Old 10-16-2021, 08:45 AM   #7

The vent hole is centered 35 inches from the floor and 8 1/2 inches from the rear wall.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_0237.jpg   thumbnail_IMG_0238.jpg   thumbnail_IMG_0239.jpg  
Old 10-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #8

Excellent! Thank you!
TS3 Hitch
Old 11-02-2021, 08:48 AM   #9

Welp... Really?

Just a update. In a correction to my first post, I actually I did have the vent location sticker. (old age, plus too lazy to actually walk out and look again)
AND vent location measurements were identical to F350guy's supplied measurements on same model and year 5er. (thanks again!). I drilled hole and went DIRECTLY thru the CENTER of a aluminum stud. Initially I was beside myself.....Why??? SO, evidently it is OK to drill thru a wall stud. I'm not happy about it. I'm just thankful I didn't catch the edge of a stud, that could have gotten very ugly. I'll bet that F350 guy's dealer drilled directly through one also when they installed his W/D vent.
Other things during install.-

Discovered I needed a 6" long vent extension to go through the interior wall to the exterior wall.
Added a dryer vent periscope which had to be cut down, allowed a closer fit to the wall.
I decided on a drip tray, a 24x24 Durapan which fit perfectly and the Splendide foot mounting brackets fit just inside. No drain, I am NOT drilling any more holes....
Removed bedroom door for bringing it in, it looked tight so I took it off. (unbelievably heavy door!)
Installed 2- 90 degree hose adapters to run hoses over W/D.

Went fairly well other than the stud issue....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20211031_103230648.jpg   IMG_20211031_102634156.jpg   IMG_20211030_173445034.jpg  
TS3 Hitch
Old 11-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #10

All they had to do was it move it back a couple of inches and no stud. I had just assumed they got the location from the factory but I would bet not. We've put about 5K miles on ours since the washer was installed and so far I haven't seen any indication of any problems.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:28 AM   #11

Jayco says it's OK

Messaged Jayco about drilling through a stud to install dryer vent, their reply----

Hello,
By drilling through the tube, you have not caused a structural problem. You are fine to continue to install the dryer vent as needed
Thank you,
Chase Cominator
Jayco Towables Product Support Lead
Phone: (800)945-4787 Fax: (574)825-0679

Put me a little at ease, but still not happy about it!
TS3 Hitch