Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2022, 06:07 AM   #1

Winegard Gateway Router Replacement?

I was reading on another forum about the Winegard 360+ antenna and a new, higher capability router now available for the 360+. It is the Osprey by WiFiRanger, which is now owned by Winegard. The information I gleaned from the thread is the Gateway, which came with our Pinnacle, is a 2.4 GHz, category 4 router. The Osprey is a 2.4 and 5.8 category 6 with an option for a category 12 and is supposed to be a direct replacement for the Gateway as it uses the same wiring.

As a not very techy person this doesn't mean a lot to me other than I know I've kind of given up using the Gateway. We don't have a subscription wifi service and will generally use our phones as hotspots. I have used the Gateway to access park wifi but I've not had a lot of luck with it. I'm sure it is mostly due to the generally not so good wifi at the parks we frequent. One of the comments is parks are now starting to use the 5.8 GHz which might give better service but with Gateway we are out of luck. I'm not sure it's worth the $399 upgrade but thought I would see if anyone has tried the new Osprey.

On edit: I never thought to see if there was a Jayco tech forum and I see there is. I might should have posted this there so it may need to be moved.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:02 AM   #2

you are better off getting the latest and greatest WiFi router and find a nice place with power to tuck it away. In my case i use the Starlink System and placed the router on a compartment i made in the basement of my RSTS. The router works great in this location, it covers our needs and friends camping with us that i give access to.. Starlink has more then enough bandwidth, so plenty to share if needed.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 11:13 AM   #3

antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
I was reading on another forum about the Winegard 360+ antenna and a new, higher capability router now available for the 360+. It is the Osprey by WiFiRanger, which is now owned by Winegard. The information I gleaned from the thread is the Gateway, which came with our Pinnacle, is a 2.4 GHz, category 4 router. The Osprey is a 2.4 and 5.8 category 6 with an option for a category 12 and is supposed to be a direct replacement for the Gateway as it uses the same wiring.

As a not very techy person this doesn't mean a lot to me other than I know I've kind of given up using the Gateway. We don't have a subscription wifi service and will generally use our phones as hotspots. I have used the Gateway to access park wifi but I've not had a lot of luck with it. I'm sure it is mostly due to the generally not so good wifi at the parks we frequent. One of the comments is parks are now starting to use the 5.8 GHz which might give better service but with Gateway we are out of luck. I'm not sure it's worth the $399 upgrade but thought I would see if anyone has tried the new Osprey.

On edit: I never thought to see if there was a Jayco tech forum and I see there is. I might should have posted this there so it may need to be moved.
Did an upgrade couple of years ago on my fiver. Definitely a two person job, or its up and down on the ladder!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 11:16 AM   #4

I know this is not your question, we are heading out for a few weeks. How do you find the local TV station antennas when you stop for the day? Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 01:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
I know this is not your question, we are heading out for a few weeks. How do you find the local TV station antennas when you stop for the day? Thanks

On your TV there is an option in the menu to 'SCAN' channels. Be sure to also check behind your TV where the wire attaches to the wall, look for a button that turns on a green light... make sure the green light is ON... if you are connecting to cable service at your RV park, turn the light OFF. This light shows your booster is turned on. The booster is standard with Winegard.
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 02:30 PM   #6

Quote:
I was reading on another forum about the Winegard 360+ antenna and a new, higher capability router now available for the 360+. It is the Osprey by WiFiRanger, which is now owned by Winegard.
Thanks for letting me know. This is just what I was looking for when I bought the Winegard Gateway last year.

The network plan I got from Verizon this past winter was unlimited at $50 a month pre-paid, no contract either but after 150GB they throttle the speed. In the parks we stayed, they had both Highspeed(5ghz) and Regular(2.4ghz). I couldn't use the Highspeed because my Winegard was only 2.4 and it was really crowded (TV often paused) so that kept me using Verizon instead.

With Osprey I'll have more options. The link below shows the setup screens. Should be easy to use.
https://youtu.be/4JwXorJgbKY
Old 04-23-2022, 07:08 PM   #7

Thanks for posting the video. Expanded my understanding of what the Osprey does. It looks simple enough for my older brain to operate.

Our Pinnacle is at our dealer getting a leaky hydraulic pump fixed so I can't go out and check it but I think the Gateway router is located on the bedroom ceiling right under the 360+. I would assume the Gateway comes down and the Osprey replaces it. Probably a little more complicated but hopefully no major installation issues involved.

I'm not sure about the cat 6 vs the cat 12 for another hundred bucks. Maybe someone can enlighten me on that.
Old 04-24-2022, 05:24 AM   #8

I added a small switch to the side of the gateway so I can power it on/off. Sometimes when I switch my source from park wifi to cell I've needed to reboot it. I also like to power it off when I'm not using the camper. The Osprey has a cover where I can mount this switch.

Old 04-24-2022, 06:33 AM   #9

Stan, sounds like you are going to order one. If so, are you going with the cat 6 or cat 12?

Ours came with an on/off switch located next to the Gateway.
Old 04-24-2022, 03:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Stan, sounds like you are going to order one. If so, are you going with the cat 6 or cat 12?
Ours came with an on/off switch located next to the Gateway.
Yeah, I'm gonna get one before our next trip to Florida. Cat6/cat12 only matters if I'm planning to run a wire from the router to my devices and that's not gonna happen.
Wifi works fine.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:17 PM   #11

Osprey is a much better unit that makes use of dual band (5ghz and 2.4Ghz) allowing for better MIMO (Multiple In Multiple Out) capabilities. Also, the user interface is better and gives better optionality during setup. The CAT 6/12 is just for using the broadband channels if you have a data plan. The CAT 12 obviously has more channels, which may be helpful in different areas of the country.

www.rvmobileinternet.com is a great resource for all things RV data connection
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Sharon View Post
Cat6/cat12 only matters if I'm planning to run a wire from the router
Thanks Mr. Goodbar, I was incorrect. Sorry for the bad info I posted above. LTE Cat6 and Cat12 are for much better performance as Mr. Goodbar says. I have a Cat6 ethernet cable in my house and was confused (as usual). I'm looking forward to getting the Osprey. I'm not yet sure which version is right for me.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:15 AM   #13
Site Team

My neighbor retired because he was required to become computer literate.

I may never buy another rv for the same reason!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:59 PM   #14

I have a Winegard 360 (not the +) on my trailer. So I had to look in other directions and I went with a InstyConnect (like a pepwave) for cell coverage and Wi-Fi. It has a CAT16 dual sim modem. I mounted in the pantry and ran wire through small hole I drilled by the side of fridge and run antenna up on a flag pole connected to my ladder.

How much does the Winegard upgrade cost? You might find that another solution is actually much more capable and easier to setup, use or install.

What is you most common use case? Is it to do cellular or to link off campground Wi-Fi? The Osprey looks more secure, but I can tell you that the Winegard is questionable from what I have seen for Wi-Fi bridging (connecting up to campgrounds Wi-Fi and using local at trailer)

I still am in the working (non retired) group but have the ability thankfully to work remote. So I needed a way to get solid internet no matter where we are at. Starlink was not yet there when I got the Insty. Even if I were to get it today it would cost me $600 for the equipment and $110 a month, I currently only pay $80 total per month and I have multiple service SIM's for T-Mobile, ATT and Verizon. Besides Starlink requires a large unobstructed sky i.e. no trees as it moves and follows the sat's its tracking. (unlike Directv or Dish that stay stationary) It also has much higher energy/power requirements.

Just thought I would mention it, I have learned to live with the philosophy of, just because its on the RV does not mean it is the best or must be used.
Old 07-16-2023, 01:58 PM   #15

Thanks for your post, I just bought starlink and wanted to put it in the compartment of our Jayco Melbourne. Did you drill a hole to run the cable?
GinKtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 08:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Did an upgrade couple of years ago on my fiver. Definitely a two person job, or its up and down on the ladder!
I am close to pulling the lever on upgrading my Winegard Gateway 360+ 4G to the version 2 5G system. Did you also upgrade to the Winegard Gateway 5g which is a router made by Qualcomm or did you just slide the old 4G Gateway router out of the ceiling "box" and put in a Wifiranger Osprey which is 5G and about $500 cheaper than the new 5G Gateway router (by Qualcom)?
Old 09-23-2023, 06:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for posting the video. Expanded my understanding of what the Osprey does. It looks simple enough for my older brain to operate.

Our Pinnacle is at our dealer getting a leaky hydraulic pump fixed so I can't go out and check it but I think the Gateway router is located on the bedroom ceiling right under the 360+. I would assume the Gateway comes down and the Osprey replaces it. Probably a little more complicated but hopefully no major installation issues involved.

I'm not sure about the cat 6 vs the cat 12 for another hundred bucks. Maybe someone can enlighten me on that.
Well, I've been posting a lot of questions about the Winegard Gateway 360+ 4G. The 4G came out prior to 2022 and came pre-installed on many brands of 5th Wheels and RVs. The Osprey Cat 6 router is somewhat compromised on the 4G Gateway platform because the 4G has ONLY 2 antennas and for 5G (The Osprey is a 5G Modem)to be fully functional, the Osprey needs 4 Antenna's underneath the Winegard Gateway Dome so what that tells me is the Osprey has been designed somewhat compromsed in order for it to function well (though I read it was designed to be somewhat functional with 2 Antennas). IN order to take full advantage of the Osprey's 5G potential, Winegard came up with the Winegard Gateway 360+ 5G in newer RV's. This new 5G Gateway is identical to the older 4G Gateway EXCEPT underneath the Dome there are 4 antennas. I will eventually have my older 4G Gateway replaced with the 5G Gateway. So in my humble opinion, based on a slight understanding of the issue, buying a CAT 6 Osprey makes sense over the CAT 12 if you have the 4G Gateway. The 5G Gateway sells for $199 and I estimate installation will probably take about 2.5 hours labor which in Arzona, shop rates are about between $145 to $175/hr.