Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2017, 09:49 PM   #1

Basement mods

One things that I have noticed that many higher end coaches have in their basements are two things...
1) Door actuated storage lighting (I hate that sometimes my storage will shift and press the button and turn on the light...wastes power and is VERY hot).
2) Electric lock/unlock compartment doors.

Has anyone attempted to do this on a Seneca (I’m looking at your Rob)? If so, what parts did you use and where did you get them?
Old 08-07-2017, 06:44 AM   #2

As far as hot goes I switched all my bulbs to LEDs. Door actuated lights would be easy with a micro switch but without swapping the light itself cargo could turn the switch off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #3

I also changed out all the incandescent bulbs for led modules, much brighter when I do get in one at night. Have it in the back of my head to add door switches, but as you may have seen on the forum I have been very busy with my SeeLevel tank monitoring system and hot water recirculation project. I actually just finished those tasks in the last few minutes!

As far as the compartment locks I too want better. I did contact RVLock (https://www.rvlock.com) since they offer a battery-operated keypad baggage door lock. They can be keyed alike and they sell an interior "master" remote that would allow you to lock and unlock all of the compartment doors at once. I believe they also come with a key fob, but I already one for the system I put on my Freightliner cab doors. Don't need 2 to carry around! I was asking RVLock if they offered a compartment door latch that did not have a keypad, I didn't see the need to have a keypad on every compartment since you could wirelessly do it and it still had an actual key in case the batteries in the lock or remote were dead. I thought without a keypad it might be more affordable too.

When I suggested this concept to their Customer Service they said they would talk to the bosses and see if they thought there might be a market for such a device. Have not heard back. We did discuss whether their product would replace my existing FIC latches and the felt they would without any modifications.

But you've got me thinking again........!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote