Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2021, 07:20 AM   #1

Chassis Battery Disconnect

When storing/parking your coach for several weeks/month do you disconnect the chassis/engine batteries? The radio system is connected to these batteries and stays powered continuously. I don’t see a chassis battery disconnect switch anywhere. Has anyone installed one? If so, where and what kind??
lawingnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:57 AM   #2

Mine is kept in storage and I'll go see it every 45-60 days and take it for a 20-30 min spin. During that time it is not plugged into shore power.

The master battery disconnect that comes with the RV still has power draining somewhere and killed my battery. Afterwards I installed this guy:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DUUL9W

The chassis battery seems to be ok and I haven't needed to disconnect or do anything there. Its been fine for 3 years.

So house battery definitely needs a hard disconnect like the above. If you have a chassis (car) battery, it should be ok.

Note: I installed (and many others have) solar so I don't have to disconnect anymore, but I still do. I have a 100W panel/MPPT charger, but others seem to get away with a 20W solar that just provides a very small charge, enough to keep the battery up, but not too much where it boils/over charges the battery. If you keep yours in storage facility I imagine those panels may develop legs and walk away.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:11 AM   #3

I will be plugged in to shore/house power when in storage. From experience on a previous coach, if the converter, aka on-board battery charger, is left on the house batteries will be killed. The converter is not normally made to trickle charge batteries too well. Nothing beats a Battery Tender!! IMO, the coach battery disconnect should be turned on (batteries disconnected) to extend the life of the coach batteries. Turning it off (batteries connected) every few weeks for a few hours is recommended. Installing a battery tender would be ideal. I would like to take the same approach with the chassis batteries.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:26 AM   #4

I think some of this depends on how old the unit is. Newer units have a solenoid between the house and chassis battery and will let the house battery charge the chassis battery (and reverse, equalizing the two, but not letting one drain the other). Also, in some instances, disconnecting the house battery will not allow any 12V power to work in the chassis:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ion-32694.html
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...wer-71243.html

while in others 12V does work if there is no battery. I haven't heard of someone being plugged in for extended time killing the house battery, but I'm sure its possible.

If 12V works in the unit without the battery connected, I'd do just like you said and put a trickle on the chassis, install a disconnect on the house and turn it on every week or so for a bit to keep the AGM/Lead Acid up. If its lithium, you should be able to keep it disconnected for 6+ months without charging.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawingnutz View Post
I will be plugged in to shore/house power when in storage. From experience on a previous coach, if the converter, aka on-board battery charger, is left on the house batteries will be killed. The converter is not normally made to trickle charge batteries too well. Nothing beats a Battery Tender!! IMO, the coach battery disconnect should be turned on (batteries disconnected) to extend the life of the coach batteries. Turning it off (batteries connected) every few weeks for a few hours is recommended. Installing a battery tender would be ideal. I would like to take the same approach with the chassis batteries.
What make and model rig do you have?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #6

2021 Seneca 37K...
Old 04-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #7

You better have long arms to reach this mother. It’s between the DEF tank and battery.
Attached Thumbnails
A072F2F6-3D84-4191-8AC3-477AFFE317FC.jpg  
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:47 AM   #8

Quote:
When storing/parking your coach for several weeks/month do you disconnect the chassis/engine batteries? The radio system is connected to these batteries and stays powered continuously. I don’t see a chassis battery disconnect switch anywhere. Has anyone installed one? If so, where and what kind??
On my 2020 both radio's have constant 12 volts from the coach battery and get 12 volt acc power from chassis when the key is on or from coach when main 12 volt power is turned on. The constant 12 volts for radio is fused on the right side of the 12 volt disconnect solenoid.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:27 PM   #9

Ever left it parked for about a month and had any issues with draining battery??
Old 04-14-2021, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Ever left it parked for about a month and had any issues with draining battery??
At home I have a solar panel on top of my RV carport that I connect to the coach battery and the BIM keeps the chassis battery charged from the coach battery. No problems after winter storage. I live in Texas, no snow on my panels.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:19 PM   #11

Do the Super C's have an emergency start button on the lower left of the dash like the Class C's have? On mine (class c) which does have that I replaced the momentary switch with this so that when connected to shore power and I flip the switch then both the chassis and coach batteries charge off of the converter. If you do this then just be sure to switch off while boondocking otherwise both batteries would run down. I chose this style as it turns off when the cover is closed and I when open it is easy to see like a red flag. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 04-14-2021, 07:22 PM   #12

We leave our Seneca plugged into AC power when it is not being used... Generally it keeps all of the batteries charged (not overcharged as it has a smart charger)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Do the Super C's have an emergency start button on the lower left of the dash like the Class C's have? On mine (class c) which does have that I replaced the momentary switch with this so that when connected to shore power and I flip the switch then both the chassis and coach batteries charge off of the converter. If you do this then just be sure to switch off while boondocking otherwise both batteries would run down. I chose this style as it turns off when the cover is closed and I when open it is easy to see like a red flag. ~CA
Yes they have a battery monitoring device which regulates charges between battery banks and can be forced to link the batteries via the dash button.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:05 AM   #14

To be safe, I disconnect the negative cable on the chassis battery (engine compartment) as well as the negative cable on the house battery bank (2 6V in series). Takes little time or effort - 5/16" open end wrench under the hood and 1/2" on the house battery.
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
To be safe, I disconnect the negative cable on the chassis battery (engine compartment) as well as the negative cable on the house battery bank (2 6V in series). Takes little time or effort - 5/16" open end wrench under the hood and 1/2" on the house battery.
Much different on the Freightliner chassis
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote