Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2021, 04:08 PM   #1

Ever Run Out Of Fuel When...

you park your Seneca on a downhill grade with about half a tank?

It just occurred to me that I should share this as it happened to me on my second night of ownership. After driving some 14 hours, I parked it next door at the neighbor's house as I didn't know if it would fit into my driveway without swapping paint with some cedar branches. As it turned out, that is exactly what would have happened had I not tried the next morning.

As I was back up the driveway, she sputtered and died. I knew exactly what had happened, but I wondered why anyone would use such a dumb design as to allow that to happen. The fuel ran forward, and the pickup is obviously at the rear of the tank(s). Luckily I knew what to do after I rolled back down to a more level spot and primed it back up.

This time I didn't ease up that grade and figured anything coming would stop. Just a bit of information that will hopefully save some of you from the same issue. I actually had a similar situation in my FL70 work truck, but that was the result of parking on a fairly steep grade that high my driver's side a good bit lower than the passenger side.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:24 PM   #2

I'm the only one?
Old 10-07-2021, 09:08 AM   #3

In my 2018 m2 the fuel pick ups are centered in the tank using a crossover system. They are about a half inch above the bottom of the tank. I have never experienced any thing like this but I have only allowed the tank to get below 1/4 of tank a couple of times, we use our generator quite a lot and I want to be sure I have fuel to allow this run, this requires at least a 1/4 tank of fuel.
I would have to be parked on a very steep slope forward and sideways with a pretty low fuel level to have this issue. I have heard of people with blocked vent lines from dirt or bugs having issues with low fuel levels but never heard it specifically related to parking on hills. I wonder if you gauge is off as 1/2 a tank of fuel should not cause that the issue you are reporting.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
In my 2018 m2 the fuel pick ups are centered in the tank using a crossover system. They are about a half inch above the bottom of the tank. I have never experienced any thing like this but I have only allowed the tank to get below 1/4 of tank a couple of times, we use our generator quite a lot and I want to be sure I have fuel to allow this run, this requires at least a 1/4 tank of fuel.
I would have to be parked on a very steep slope forward and sideways with a pretty low fuel level to have this issue. I have heard of people with blocked vent lines from dirt or bugs having issues with low fuel levels but never heard it specifically related to parking on hills. I wonder if you gauge is off as 1/2 a tank of fuel should not cause that the issue you are reporting.
No reason to think the gauge isn't accurate, but to clarify things a bit better, it ran out of fuel when I was backing it up that driveway after it has sat on a relatively flat spot for the night. I was none too comfortable with parking it on that steep downhill grade where only the lake would have stopped it.

As best I recall, my FL70 had a fuel starvation problem when I had it parked for a considerable amount of time with the passenger side being a good bit lower. With both these instances, it's just a matter of live and learn. I was really surprised it lost prime with the driveway next door as it's not THAT steep.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:10 PM   #5

I can say that we have run our tanks well below 1/4 and the genny ran fine. In fact when I test drove it, the fuel gauge was right on E and I was afraid that it would run out of fuel on that test drive. We took it up a 7% grade and back down on that test drive and nothing happened that resembles what you describe.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
I can say that we have run our tanks well below 1/4 and the genny ran fine. In fact when I test drove it, the fuel gauge was right on E and I was afraid that it would run out of fuel on that test drive. We took it up a 7% grade and back down on that test drive and nothing happened that resembles what you describe.
That's because what I described far exceeded a 7% grade.

As for the generator, I can only assume the fuel pickup for it is well above that of the primary engine as it is on boats. That prevents you from generating yourself out of fuel and being stuck where you are.