Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2023, 10:51 PM   #1

Flooring Replacement

Hi all.
Has anyone removed the wood floor in the kitchen area?
I have a ‘13 bunkhouse model and the laminate wood flooring we don’t like.
I’d like to replace with another style of laminate flooring from probably a big box store.
Curious if anyone has done this and how it went?
Thanks
Joe
Aveatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:15 AM   #2

It is doable. Just note, it has to be cut out. The laminate is the first thing installed on the bare floor. Then the cabinets are installed. I would suggest hiring a professional laminate installer. Once it is installed, you will need to add quarter round along all the edges to cover the edges.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:51 AM   #3

Yep...huge job...huge! I'd consider putting a little lipstick on the floor and see if it don't get any prettier or go with a thin, linoleum overlay so as to not "unseal" the original flooring.
Retired @ PCB
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:35 PM   #4

I pulled the laminate up in my older Super C. Put 1/4 underlayment down then LVP that looked like wood. Wasn't a bad job. Took a weekend to do all of it. Added new furniture and built new window valances as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200514_200246931.jpg   IMG_20200515_210451249.jpg   IMG_20201111_174249363.jpg  
Old 03-28-2023, 08:15 PM   #5

My 2 cents

When you say wood laminate floor I picture "Pergo" brand planks that snap together with a foam pad under planking. one option is to just go over it. you could use vinyl plank to save weight, cost and very easy to cut with utility knife,jig saw w/ fine metal blade ect.Its very durable.. Downside is I'm not sure how butted seams will survive constant movement and flex which would be greatly reduced by going over existing floor(act as sub-floor).Sand & schuff existing floor with 60grit to add adhesion.Another option is to remove existing wood laminate..If it has foam pad under it than after cutting parameter it will come up easily..To cut parameter use a all-tool/oscillating tool. i would buy a sem-circle, straight blade, assortment..You will have to cut around parameter holding tool at a 45degree angle to get under cabinets some-what..Sharp chisels will come in handy for inside corners.A small nick here and there(on cabinets) will be covered when floor is trimmed with quarter round. Option three go over existing floor with more wood lam. Cons are weight,added height..You have to check that doors/drawers,slide out will open and reveal at exterior door..Hope this helps
Tuna1 is offline   Reply With Quote