Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2021, 10:08 AM   #1

run inverter while on shore power

OK, this may sound weird, but I would like to have my inverter working for the inverter plugs while the rest of the house is on shore power.
Why?...
Down at Deer Camp, I only have 20 amps. I would like to use those 20 amps for a space heater, etc. But when the coffee pot turns on automagically in the morning it will pop the 20 if a space heater is on. What I want is to plug the coffee pot and set the timer on the inverter plug while the rest of the house is on shore.

I searched this forum, saw nothing.
I tried turning off the breaker labeled "inverter" but the inverter is still in pass-thru mode.

Any ideas?
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #2

My inverter has a small transfer switch of it's own so that those plugs fed by the inverter automatically switch to 120.
bluztoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:48 PM   #3

I was all set to give a list of reasons not to do this and then I read why you wanted to do it.

There are ways to do what you want. The key is in the transfer switch. This transfer switch can either be a separate little box that the inverter feeds or it can be internal to the inverter. Once you figure out where it is it shouldn't be difficult to modify.

I was going to suggest "miss-wiring" the switch so that it looks for inverter power rather than shore power as the trigger source. Then I though of an easier way that will work with either a built-in transfer switch or an external one. All you need to do is locate the shore power feed to the switch and open it.

What I mean by opening it is to either cut the shore power feed to the switch or better yet, put a switch on it. Odds are the transfer switch will be fed shore power via a romex cable. Once you find the cable you can modify it as you wish. Inside the cable will be 3 wires - white, black, and green. The black one is the one that should be modified. If you put a switch inline with the black lead you can turn the shore power on and off as desired. If the inverter doesn't see any shore power it will constantly supply its power.

Now the disclaimer - DO NOT work on this power line while plugged in! 120 volts will bite you. Also, if you don't feel comfortable making this mod or lack all experience with 120 volt stuff, I wouldn't recommend attempting the mod. I am just explaining how the mod can be done but I really don't recommend it for the novice person.

Other considerations - does the inverter have the capacity to power a coffee pot? Do you have a good battery to supply a hundred amps of 12 volt power for the inverter to supply a heating element? Big power draw and waster when using an inverter with a heating element.

By far the easiest "mod" is to simply take the coffee pot out of auto mode and wait the 10 minutes or so for it to brew once you get up. After all, you are "ruffing it" by camping. Be thankful for all of these conveniences we can take with us.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:56 PM   #4

Yes, Yes and yes.
It is a 2K inverter with pass thru.
I have 6 AGM house batteries.
I was also and EE for 10 years and have wired many houses.

I was hoping someone with an 2018.5 Seneca knew of a trick.
There is a breaker in the main panel labeled "Inverter". I thought that was the feed to the inverter for when there is shore power. But what you said makes more sense, it probably comes from the transfer switch under the bed.
Leaving for Deer Camp in the morning so I won't be messing with it before hand unless someone else has a simple solution.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2021, 02:23 PM   #5

Another quick thought that is very easy. How about putting a timer on the heater to turn it off shortly before the coffee pot is set to turn on?

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:03 PM   #6

See if my method works for you.
I have a fifth wheel with a residential fridge. When I have 20a service and I need the AC running, then I turn off the fridge breaker and the inverter automatically runs the fridge off my 4 battery bank and solar. I also turn off the breaker to the converter so it’s not taking amps charging the batteries.

Now we can just call my residential fridge your coffee pot and my AC your heater.
You just need another receptacle to plug your heater into that isn’t tied to your other receptacles. I can do that in my NorthPoint as all my receptacles aren’t inline, or I could also use the microwave receptacle.
If you don’t have a separate plug available, wire one in.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Another quick thought that is very easy. How about putting a timer on the heater to turn it off shortly before the coffee pot is set to turn on?
Love it..... that will work for Muzzle Load season, I will figure something a little more elegant before regular deer season.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:26 PM   #8

Got it

Nevermind, I have it figured out.
Jayco in it's infinite wisdom mislabeled the breaker panel.
The breaker labeled "inverter" is a 15 amp, not sure where it goes.
The breaker labeled "microwave" is a 20 amp and kills the shore power to the inverter.
Now, when I am plugged into the 20 amp service at deer camp, I can kill that breaker and then I will be able to run the refrigerators and one space heater (plus lights and charger) on shore and then run the coffee pot on the inverter, pulling power from the batteries.

I will report back after Muzzle Load season on how it works.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpietsch View Post
Nevermind, I have it figured out.

I will report back after Muzzle Load season on how it works.
It worked Perfect. I didn't have to worry about popping the breaker with the heater on when the coffee pot turned on.
Just another cool trick when moochdocking or you can only get 15 or 20 Amp service.
Now, to correctly label all the breakers.