Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #1

Seneca 2018.5 Error Code on ScanGauge

Hi guys. I am in the middle of nebraska and I just pulled an error code / check engine (orange) on my Seneca 6.7 it shows 3363 on ScanGauge. Cant see anywhere a 4 digit code. its a 0 FM so "out of range high" Any help or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
Hi guys. I am in the middle of nebraska and I just pulled an error code / check engine (orange) on my Seneca 6.7 it shows 3363 on ScanGauge. Cant see anywhere a 4 digit code. its a 0 FM so "out of range high" Any help or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Google 3363 isb error code. Looks like it is related to DEF tank heater.
Dananu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:07 AM   #3

Thanks

Thanks, I also found a reference to DEF heater. It was 90 yesterday where I was driving. Doubt I needed a DEF heater. Probably a sensor. I just do not want to be detuned and driving 5 mph! I finally figured out how to find the codes on the Cummins website. I think I am going to roll with this back to Southern California. Will report back on what happens.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #4

Don't wait to long

I recently have a similar code with the first solid orange engine light. I was 400 miles away from home and after visually checking the engine, I decided to drive on. The second light you will see is the orange engine light with the word "Check" inside it. Once you see this light you really need to drive straight to the nearest certified Cummins shop. The computer will only allow you to drive so far before it gives you the red stop engine light and you are restricted to 5 mph. This is what happened to me after I decided to fix the issue when I get back home. Once the computer starts with the engine lights, there's no stoping the sequence until the code is cleared. Don't be like me and have to drive 5mph all the way to the maintenance shop.

2018 Seneca with 11,000 miles

Brian
Brianxs650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:23 PM   #5

Thanks

Brian do you remember what your error code was? Mine is DEF heater which I wouldn't think would cause retune. How long did you drive until second light?
Old 06-06-2019, 09:12 AM   #6

Gary,

From the first orange light to the red stop engine we drove right at 450 miles. The red light didn't come on until after I got home shut the rig off and re started the next morning to move it. My code screen looks like this:

SA: 0 Engine
SPN: 5246
FMI: 16

The RV is in the shop now waiting to be worked on. So far, I can figure out is that it has something to do with the DEF system.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:21 PM   #7

update

Thanks Brian. I thought I would update my status with this issue. I think that we all are going to be trapped in the new technology approach to emissions and the "detuning" that can occur in the middle of nowhere. First I found out that the code that is displayed on a scan gauge is an SPN it stands for Suspect Parameter Number. If you go to the Cummins page and try to find it as a “fault code” you will be frustrated. I was learning as I went and fortunately I have been where I can get WIFI to research this. When the code popped I called a local authorized Cummins shop and the Tech said “how many dash warning lights do you have on?” My printed manual for a 2018.5 freightliner dash display does not look anything like my dash warning lights and location. I said one light the “malfunction” light. I asked “ and he said “maybe in 5 days! “ So I traveled on trying to figure out if the 3363 would de-tune me to 5 mph. The Tech said, “the light may go off” or escalate to the second warning light. “Go to the shop now!” Well the code I found was that it was “Aftertreatment Diesel Exhaust Fluid Tank Heater- Voltage . . . .” Held my breath and headed down the road. About a day later the light just went off? So advice, go on and sign up on the Cummins website and learn a little about it and searching SPN’s and fault codes. Unfortunately, you cannot access a list on Cummins but will have to snoop around the internet. Scary feeling as most of us are heading off to remote areas which are not the best place to find service.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:54 PM   #8

I found out how to access all the fault codes/SPN/FMI numbers and a description of what they mean on line.

Go to www.quickserve.cummins.com create a free account as an owner. Enter your Engine Serial Number. Navigate to the "Service" tab. From there you can search fault codes, cross reference SPN/FMI numbers and even print out all the codes that could appear with your engine type.... That one is under "Service", "Service Tools", "SPN/FMI Reference Sheets", then click on your engine type.
You will have to convert your SPN/FMI numbers to a Fault Code number in order to inter it into there "Code Analyzer"

I hope this help everyone. It sure has helped me. Now I have a print out of all the codes in my RV and hopefully I will never have to deal with limp mode again.

Brian
Old 07-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
Thanks Brian. I thought I would update my status with this issue. I think that we all are going to be trapped in the new technology approach to emissions and the "detuning" that can occur in the middle of nowhere. First I found out that the code that is displayed on a scan gauge is an SPN it stands for Suspect Parameter Number. If you go to the Cummins page and try to find it as a “fault code” you will be frustrated. I was learning as I went and fortunately I have been where I can get WIFI to research this. When the code popped I called a local authorized Cummins shop and the Tech said “how many dash warning lights do you have on?” My printed manual for a 2018.5 freightliner dash display does not look anything like my dash warning lights and location. I said one light the “malfunction” light. I asked “ and he said “maybe in 5 days! “ So I traveled on trying to figure out if the 3363 would de-tune me to 5 mph. The Tech said, “the light may go off” or escalate to the second warning light. “Go to the shop now!” Well the code I found was that it was “Aftertreatment Diesel Exhaust Fluid Tank Heater- Voltage . . . .” Held my breath and headed down the road. About a day later the light just went off? So advice, go on and sign up on the Cummins website and learn a little about it and searching SPN’s and fault codes. Unfortunately, you cannot access a list on Cummins but will have to snoop around the internet. Scary feeling as most of us are heading off to remote areas which are not the best place to find service.
Gunfighter, I just had this same code pop up traveling in Idaho. What ever became of this code showing up? Has it come on again? Or have you had any issues since?
Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:20 PM   #10

Rusty,
Sorry to hear that. No problems since. It went off as I stated and didn't come back. I probably have put on over 1000 miles since then. Two observations. It is a malfunction only code and as the tech told me can go off on its own as this one did, or bad news escalate. I think that the DEF system and its codes are in a BETA mode. Cram down of government regulation and sensitive setting!

Haven't heard anything more than that Rusty. Let me know if this doesnt go away.

Fingers Crossed.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:55 PM   #11

Gunfighter, do you have a solar system by chance?

I had found this info on the Cummins QuickServeMobile....

“Aftertreatment 1 Diesel Exhaust Fluid Tank Heater - Voltage Above Normal or Shorted to High Source”

AND

“For On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) engines, the ECM will extinguish the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) after three consecutive trips where the diagnostic runs and passes.”

I ask about the Solar because when discussing this with a friend with a DP with a Cummins, he said if he drives with his solar on, he will get a check alternator/over voltage code. I started off with the solar off today and the dash showed 13.5-13.7 all day. On our 3rd stop which was for fuel and when I started back up, the check engine light went off and has stayed off the rest of the trip, as mentioned above. When I tried running the engine with the solar on, the dash voltage shows 14.2 so I am thinking maybe the extra voltage coming from the solar is backfeeding to the ecu and throwing this code.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:47 AM   #12

No Solar yet

Rusty,
No solar. As to voltage I have noticed some swings in our rig. Not bright enough to tell you exactly what or where. I will pay closer attention now. Didn't observe anything with voltage when code was thrown. Your theory is worth considering. Best.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #13

I dont have solar and my m2 alternator charges at 14.2v periodically. At least that is what the inverter readout is saying. I have not seen any code pop up on this issue in my unit.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #14

Same Here

I should have been a little more specific, RVermont reminded me. I also have seen my inverter panel read as high as 14.2. My recollection is that its random. Wasn't alway after running on batteries for a long time, for example.

Tags
6.7, cummins, error code, seneca