Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #21

Fridge not working/too steep for a ramp

The fridge is not working at all now and in fact gets hot inside compared to outside. Nor cold has no simple fix and requests I take to dealer. Got appointment 7-17. We "most time" in ours since we have to work away from home. For now it is a bag of ice in the freezer and replacing as needed to act as a fridge. I know one tends to think of camping as roughing it, but I didn't think it was back to the days of an "Ice-Box."

Enjoying the Seneca more everyday; need to get those manuals out and figure out this auto gen start. As for the driveway, it would require a 4 foot tall ramp to make it level, and I would not trust wood for that.

Thanks for all the input. So much to learn.
McGintys924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:04 AM   #22

"As for the driveway, it would require a 4 foot tall ramp to make it level, and I would not trust wood for that. "

Wow! That's steep! Make sure you block the wheels when its just sitting there.
Sorry to say, I think you need to find a better place to park your unit for any testing of getting stuff to work.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:05 AM   #23

Congrats on the new Seneca, how did you find the horsepower on your first trip home? Does it appear to be sufficient?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sconlon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
6. How do you warm up your diesel? When I was a kid I did maintenance on diesels but that was when you let the idle for 20 min. Now they say not to idle as engine is cool and lets fuel slip past rings and dilute oil. Gentleman who did the orientation said to start up then place into fast idle unit at normal temp. Looking for recommendations on this one.
Most all "Pre-Trip Checklist" start with checking fluids (oil, brake, etc) and then starting the rig. Do the Cab check items, turning lights on and then you start the exterior walk around inspection. Leave the engine idling to slowly warm it up.

You have to build up air pressure before you lower the Seneca off of the leveling system so that you don't drop your suspension on empty air bags and damage them, so you start the Pre-Trip before you start bringing in slides/levlers and stuff. That usually takes the two of us at least 20 minutes to get everything stowed for travel.

A great friend of mine is a Fleet Service Manager for a Trucking Company here... they have a policy of 30-min warm up before the truck moves. They have many trucks with over a million miles on the motors, and attribute the long life on idle warmup and idle cool-down before shutting down.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:39 PM   #25

There is a long hill coming out of NC on 77 where my Yukon Denali struggled with my 8000lb TT about a month ago (happily sold that TT). When I went up the hill I the Seneca with full water I was easily able to maintain 55 mph. I blew past every Semi on the road. I would say that it's not a Ferrari, but it has plenty of power for us. 65 mph feels very comfortable.

Slowpoke, I like your way, I think that is what I will do. I am just too old school not to idle a diesel. I am sure we all change oil more then would ever be recommended to the fuel in the oil is probably theoretical. As for the airbags; already messed up the fridge, don't want to break anything else.
McGintys924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #26

The statement was made -

"You have to build up air pressure before you lower the Seneca off of the leveling system so that you don't drop your suspension on empty air bags and damage them, so you start the Pre-Trip before you start bringing in slides/levlers and stuff."

Dropping your suspension on empty air bags?

I've not heard of this being a problem. Is it? I don't know that I've paid attention one way or another.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 07-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
The statement was made -

"You have to build up air pressure before you lower the Seneca off of the leveling system so that you don't drop your suspension on empty air bags and damage them, so you start the Pre-Trip before you start bringing in slides/levlers and stuff."

Dropping your suspension on empty air bags?

I've not heard of this being a problem. Is it? I don't know that I've paid attention one way or another.
Page 10 of the Equalizer Systems manual that came with the Seneca:
• If your coach is equipped with air suspension, it is recommended to start your coach and allow the chassis air to build before pressing All Retract. This will ensure adequate air supply to the chassis air valves.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #28

Thank you, never knew that. That's why I constantly read this Forum.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 07-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #29

I never knew that either, but thankfully have only retracted my jacks once with the engine off. There is so much to know. I need to memorize those manuals.

Where are you all buying generator filters and oil from? I was told to change gen oil at 50 hours during PDI but now read that it should be done at 20 hours after break in period and then every 100 hours. So glad I didn't blow past 20 hours before reading that.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:35 AM   #30

Quote:
I never knew that either, but thankfully have only retracted my jacks once with the engine off. There is so much to know. I need to memorize those manuals.

Where are you all buying generator filters and oil from? I was told to change gen oil at 50 hours during PDI but now read that it should be done at 20 hours after break in period and then every 100 hours. So glad I didn't blow past 20 hours before reading that.
I have my generator oil changed when I have the Seneca's engine serviced. It is usually around 150 hours of running. On initial break in, I changed it with just 25 hours on the generator and 5000 miles on the Cummins. That oil was put in when the unit was built and for our unit, almost a year old. I wanted to get that initial break in oil out and get some fresh stuff of my choosing in. I use Shell Rotella in the Cummins and Mobil 1 in the generator. I've gone as much as 250 hours without changing generator oil and the Mobil 1 is hardly dirty.

Daily check list when underway, includes checking oil levels in both units while Seneca is on the levels and a general look around to make sure things look normal.

Just my procedures, yours may vary.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 07-10-2017, 08:03 AM   #31

Quote:

I try to keep an extra filter on-hand for when I want to do my maintenance. The manual says, I believe oil at 150hrs and fuel at 500. Since I'm under there and am getting filthy anyway, I just do the fuel filter at the same time and change the air filter as needed.

Amazon prime is your friend:
Oil filter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fuel filter (Word of caution, your filter may be different than mine, there are two versions for the 8kw)

Air Filter
Old 07-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post

Fuel filter (Word of caution, your filter may be different than mine, there are two versions for the 8kw)
VERY True... Be sure and open up the filter door and look to see which one you have First... Before you go and buy the one that Onan says you need - but is the wrong one.

I have an extra of the wrong one

Old 07-13-2017, 06:34 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Page 10 of the Equalizer Systems manual that came with the Seneca:
• If your coach is equipped with air suspension, it is recommended to start your coach and allow the chassis air to build before pressing All Retract. This will ensure adequate air supply to the chassis air valves.
As I stated in another thread - This isn't going to work. As soon as I start the engine, if the leveling legs are down, they will immediately start retracting.
Hmmmmmm?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 07-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #34

Our '14 will 'let' you do it, it just screeches like crazy the whole time the system is down while the engine is running. I actually tried it this way the last time and really liked it because by the time the bags were inflated, the rear jacks were an inch or two off the ground and there was no "air liner creep"!

Seems more dangerous to me to have the system automatically retract as soon as the engine is started as it would probably bounce the coach pretty good, potentially with the slides out or objects under or near the exterior of the coach...
Old 07-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #35

I have started our 2016 HJ many times with the jacks down. The alarms go off, but the jacks do NOT automatically retract. I agree with memphis02 and it seems dangerous to have them auto retract. I would check with Jayco.
stmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
As I stated in another thread - This isn't going to work. As soon as I start the engine, if the leveling legs are down, they will immediately start retracting.
Hmmmmmm?
I would be contacting them about that...

Maybe the wires are crossed up with the power step as our step retracts when the chassis engine starts and the door is closed. Stacy found that out the hard way and ended up on her butt in the dirt... (oh... and don't put a beer on your steps either.. crushed it when it was trapped between them as it retracted)

Our levelers only retract when we push the buttons to "retract all" .

Old 07-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Maybe this is too much of a hill. Fridge is running on both LP and AC but I have turned off until I level. Preferably I didn't damage anything.
WOW..... It's hanging from the ceiling!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post

A nice air horn is on the list. The electric horn is worse then my daughters vw bug.
I had an air horn on a Honda motorcycle I had years ago. It got everyone's attention!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #39

Jacks/gen oil Changed

In my 2018 Seneca the jacks do not auto retract, but an alarm does go off when the engine is started. What will not work is the slides so this will be an adaptation to the previous stated preflight checklist where slides are in before starting, building air, and retract jacks.

How are you all getting fresh oil into the gen after an oil change; just finished and it was fine except for adding new oil!