Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #1

Seneca issues

Over the short time we have had our Seneca (August 2015) we have been nagged by lots of small issues like: keyless lock not working, trim falling off or trim broken, small slide failures, lumpy tile, broken dash bolt holes, hands free mic not installed, paint damaged (by dealer), wardrobe sliding doors won't stay latched, underside of bed very rough lumber, mirror whistles, trim around fuel tank chattering while driving, air tank water release sticks open, etc etc.

Is this normal? Do you pay >$160k and have these constant issues?

Seems they could take one more day of production and gotten the quality right???

Thoughts??
Old 11-21-2016, 08:27 PM   #2

I too have experienced issues with some of the same items you mentioned. Many of these problems I have taken it upon myself to address, I know I will make it even better. One big "beef" I have is the use of very cheap fasteners everywhere. I would have gladly forked over a few more dollars for quality screws and bolts, including the use of stainless steel wherever exposed to the elements. Changing hardware out as I go through different systems.

I wish I could have been there at every step of production, stopping things when something was done I know could be made better based on my experiences. Alas, it would cost a fortune and take months to build!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #3

I guess I've had some issues as well but we've got to remember these are complicated machines bumping down the road or sometimes washboard detours that they were never designed for. I think we need to keep in mind the big stuff. Did it get you there safely and keep you cool or warm as it may be along with some refrigeration for food. The rest of the inconveniences are just that. If we were to drive it 10 miles and park for a couple of years then maybe the expectations should've higher. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrentJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:40 PM   #4

Generally not more than two or three minor issues with a new motorhome or towable. But there are some with more than that, and an occasional one with a major defect. They put these together rather quickly. If they took the time to double check everything, you'd probably see $160k turn into $185k really fast. Often, the dealer is the one who is supposed to iron out minor issues after they find them, or after the customer does. But often, the dealer is the one who also has no time. Common with many manufacturers, but Jayco does stand behind the units fairly well, by most accounts. I bought a used unit and did without the nagging little fixit things.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #5

We have a 2005 Seneca 35HD and for the most part very pleased. Bought in foreclosure. Just remodeled inside by removing fold out sleeper sofa and dining area. Replaced with 4 recliners and center pieces. Very please with furniture obtained from Camping World.
Margarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #6

Got our Seneca last November and have had the same issues you have and a few more. Was on the road from May till August with it so a lot of things popped up then. May gripe is the dealer is months out to fix things so I took things in my own hand. Safe to say, nothing has come out of my pocket monetarily. The good side is I've learned a lot about the Seneca and a lot of repairs were found on this forum and talking to different manufacturers. Was frustrated at first, but after talking to dealer and the time I would have spent there, I'm glad I tackled the problems. At first I was saying : For $160,000 there ought to be a guy following me around in a pickup with parts!

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #7

We own a 37FK and also have had a few issues that I modified myself. Had a couple cabinet doors that had to be removed and repaired. I neatly ran black duct tape on back side of all cabinet doors at the seems, don't think anymore problems will arise on them.
The interior decor above and around the large interior window came loose. Was able to take down and anchor into the actual window frame making it very strong.
I noticed the plastic shelf which the fresh water tank sets on was collapsing. I went underneath vehicle and installed 1"x1" light weight square tubing spanning across this area. Tac welded to existing angles around perimeters. Looks great and no long have to worry about fresh water tank eventually cracking plastic shelf and falling out on road.
Solved the very annoying air noise by making and attaching rubber boots over the upper mirror brackets. Not other problems yet.
byrdbody is offline   Reply With Quote