Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #1

Seneca lower compartment doors

Being retired I have way to much time on my hands. Yesterday I was looking at my storage doors and thought I could get a couple of them to fit better. One stuck out further than the closed door in front of it. Looking at the hinge I could see two spacers between the hinge and body. By removing one of then my door is now flush with the one ahead of it. But I discovered something that made me nervous. The hinges are mounted with self drilling and self tapping bolts, I found several that over tightened and not really doing anything. My plan is to install at least one bolt and nut on each hinge on the bigger doors.

2017 37rb
2015 canyon
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #2

Definitely a good plan. Make sure to inspect the hinges when you do this, too. I had two hinges fail, last season resulting in the doors nearly breaking off. The replacement parts were not much better from Jayco and were difficult for my local repair shop to lookup / order.
I don't know that I'll get to it, this spring, but I would like to take each door off, sand, repaint, and build newer/better hinges.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #3

There's a thread around here on broken door latches and how to deal with that nightmare. You may want to consider that in your hinge reinforcement plan. I'm still thinking about how to deal with it myself.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #4

Regarding the hinges themselves mine were all corroding badly, so I removed them all and had them cadmium plated. I also found numerous attaching bolts had been overtightened and stripped. I guess they got a little carried away with the screw gun!

So I removed all compartment doors (undercoating project) and substituted stainless hardware for all of the screws mounting the (now plated) hinges to the coach and the hinges to the doors themselves. The hinges to the coach were easy, the hinges to the doors were very hard! Had to drill more than half of the screws out due to electrolytic corrosion. Here is a link where a couple of us discuss hinges: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...nge-46744.html

A couple years out now and everything is still great. But I did have to have a door recently replaced due to hitting a tire alligator, so now I have two new hinges I will take off and have plated proactively.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote