Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2020, 06:51 PM   #1

Seneca navigation radio replacement

We picked up our 2020 Seneca 37HJ last week and have enjoyed getting to know the rig. I’m not a fan of the radio/ navigation system. Seems cheap to me. Anyone else feel the same way? Has anyone put in a system they like? Would like to know what system you replaced it with that you like. Thanks!
Dchafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchafe View Post
We picked up our 2020 Seneca 37HJ last week and have enjoyed getting to know the rig. I’m not a fan of the radio/ navigation system. Seems cheap to me. Anyone else feel the same way? Has anyone put in a system they like? Would like to know what system you replaced it with that you like. Thanks!
They got rid of this problem in the 2021s- they are putting in a 8 to 10 inch Sony. Can't tell the make or model. However, my research tells me Sony isn't making them anymore, so more than likely, Jayco bought a ton of them before they stopped making them. A lot of good that does you now, huh? Ha!

I put in a Kenwood DNX995S, however, I wanted everything to work- DVD, TV, GPS, etc. I also wanted carplay. They no longer make that particular radio, but any Kenwood will do.

Not sure if you have side cameras and a rear, but if you do, you have a switcher. So what that means is you only need 1 camera input.

Finally, I'd take a look at the Jensen CAR1000. It's $400, no DVD, no GPS, but you can use car play/android auto if you have a phone for GPS.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:10 PM   #3

Hi eeek, thanks for the reply! Looks like I can pick up the Kenwood still. I do have side and rear cameras. It looks like that would be be a good replacement. Have you used the navigation system on the Kenwood ? If so, what did you think ? Anything they the Kenwood doesn’t have that the sound steam has? Thanks for your reply.
Dchafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchafe View Post
Hi eeek, thanks for the reply! Looks like I can pick up the Kenwood still. I do have side and rear cameras. It looks like that would be be a good replacement. Have you used the navigation system on the Kenwood ? If so, what did you think ? Anything they the Kenwood doesn’t have that the sound steam has? Thanks for your reply.
It does every function the Soundstream does. I like using the radio as a poor man's soundbar- so I play the audio overhead from the TV. I really don't have a use for DVDs, but it will play them, too. And it sounds really good.

The Kenwood GPS is Garmin- I have had Garmin in my car for years. I spend a lot of time in areas with no cell connection, so an onboard GPS is important to me. One thing to keep in mind is the GPS isn't an RV one, obviously. Kenwood does make an RV specific radio, but I have a ton of problems with it. While it does have the RV software, it is a $500 radio that they are charging $1,200. Why? Because it has the name RV on it. That said- I like the Garmin interface- the DNX995S does have the photo real software for exits and the like.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #5

Question, Did your Seneca come with a Soundstream APTI $297.00 System ? If so it's JUNK and Jayco knows this. I have a 2019 and had the Factory install the Garmim RV BBT-601 $877.78 retail system. You pay close to a quarter million for a RV and it's made like Junk with cheap electronics.

Call the factory and tell them you want the newer Sony installed under Warranty. They did mine for free after fighting with the Dealership Repair place that wanted $2212.99 To purchase and install. Jayco sent them the Garmin under Warranty and they still tried to bang me hard. I will never go back to that Jayco authorized dealer. I was born at night but not last night.
racermike39 is offline   Reply With Quote