Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2020, 07:12 PM   #1

Seneca plug in question

Hi all, getting ready for a maiden trip in our new Seneca. If I am plugged in to our 110 at our house to get the fridge cold, can I turn on the generator to run the AC at the same time without messing anything up or should I unplug the 110?

Thanks!
Dchafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchafe View Post
Hi all, getting ready for a maiden trip in our new Seneca. If I am plugged in to our 110 at our house to get the fridge cold, can I turn on the generator to run the AC at the same time without messing anything up or should I unplug the 110?

Thanks!
One or the other, the transfer switch installed in the unit only allows either the generator or shore power to connect. It would be bad to have both connected together hence the transfer switch.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #3

And some additional information regarding your transfer switch. RV transfer switches give priority to the generator input. What that simply means is that if the generator is supplying power, the transfer switch will connect the generator to your coach power panel (and systems). When no generator power is present the transfer switch reverts back to the shoreline (cord) power even if the unit isn't plugged in.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:19 PM   #4

Ok great to know. Thanks guys
Old 06-19-2020, 09:53 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Depending on what amp outlet you're plugged into at your house, how heavy the extension cord is, and how long it is, you might be able to run the A/C.

I plug my rig into a 120 volt, 20 amp circuit, with a 12 gauge extension cord that's 50 ft long, and I can run both my A/C and fridge when getting ready to go out.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Depending on what amp outlet you're plugged into at your house, how heavy the extension cord is, and how long it is, you might be able to run the A/C.

I plug my rig into a 120 volt, 20 amp circuit, with a 12 gauge extension cord that's 50 ft long, and I can run both my A/C and fridge when getting ready to go out.
Also depends on the AC. The Seneca has a 15K BTU in the main living area and a 13.5k BTU in the bedroom.

Another thought is to run the generator to charge the batteries and use the inverter to run the residential fridge off the batteries when the generator is not running. Make sure the AGS is set to start the generator at low voltage and there shouldn't be an issue other than making sure the diesel tank has enough fuel for the generator pickup.

If you have the optional RV fridge you can run that off LPG to cool.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:43 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Also depends on the AC. The Seneca has a 15K BTU in the main living area and a 13.5k BTU in the bedroom.
Yes, he can't run BOTH at the same time.

Mine is a 15K BTU, and I check the cord and plugs to see how warm they are when the A/C is running, and they only get slightly warm.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:42 AM   #8

Great info and thanks for the responses!