Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2020, 09:21 PM   #1

Cool '15 x213 adding 2nd battery

seems simple enough.
anyone done it?
any issues?

i want to extend some dry camping time without reconnecting to tow vehicle and starting it to ensure i can power the frame lift as well as water pump, BR fan, and LED lights.

already have one, less than one year old RV/Marine deep cycle and considering adding a 2nd. I have a case that would need to be drilled for extra air circulation. Other than that I would need 2 additional cables to link the batteries.

any additional switches, fuses, or relays needed? I already have a cutoff switch on the single battery setup.

Thanks, Henry
H&R2015x213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Nothing more needed to connect the two, just another like size and capacity battery. You want them as close as possible, so there's no weak link between them.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:10 PM   #3

Thank You for the follow up re security
Old 03-26-2020, 10:16 PM   #4
Site Team

You're very welcome!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #5

I am planning on replacing my x213 group 24 dual purpose battery that came with it from the dealer with two 6V GC2 batteries. The only problem is that the GC2s are 1 1/2 inches taller. The space on the tongue seems very tight with the front rock shield sloping over the battery tray. Has anyone successfully done this without moving the battery box holding rails forward?
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencenerd View Post
I am planning on replacing my x213 group 24 dual purpose battery that came with it from the dealer with two 6V GC2 batteries. The only problem is that the GC2s are 1 1/2 inches taller. The space on the tongue seems very tight with the front rock shield sloping over the battery tray. Has anyone successfully done this without moving the battery box holding rails forward?
I'm not sure if yours has a different rail setup than mine. I just bought a GC2 box off amazon. My rail was twisted a little I gave it a hit with a hammer and it fit like a glove.
m2bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:01 AM   #7

Quote:
I put two 2" x 8" across the A frame of our trailer behind the propane tanks. For the two T105 s I built a wooden box. Then I screwed two normal battery boxes to the boards. I installed two switches so only one battery bank can be used at a time. I have lots of twelve volt storage now.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2bandit View Post
I'm not sure if yours has a different rail setup than mine. I just bought a GC2 box off amazon. My rail was twisted a little I gave it a hit with a hammer and it fit like a glove.
Thanks, that sounds encouraging. I'll go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
I put two 2" x 8" across the A frame of our trailer behind the propane tanks. For the two T105 s I built a wooden box. Then I screwed two normal battery boxes to the boards. I installed two switches so only one battery bank can be used at a time. I have lots of twelve volt storage now.
Thanks, This is my plan B. If I can't fit the CG2 boxes onto the existing rail, I'll build a wooden base. Don't feel like having the existing rails re-welded.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks, that sounds encouraging. I'll go for it.

Thanks, This is my plan B. If I can't fit the CG2 boxes onto the existing rail, I'll build a wooden base. Don't feel like having the existing rails re-welded.
I used large self tapping screws to attach the 2" x 8"s to the frame. No welding.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #10

I added a second to my X213 and installed a 3 way disconnect switch. Both mounted to the tongue
pbois34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #11

Thanks everyone
Henry

Tags
2nd battery