Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #1

2 blowouts TODAY - 2013 White Hawk

Here I sit Roadside waiting for Good Sam to come through with a tire and someone to bring it...

And I just used my spare an hour ago on the opposite side (front axle).

Likely due to overheating - record hot temps and maybe driving a little too fast. Certainly the tire was hot when I felt it after pulling to the side.

Questions as I ponder life roadside...

Are 5-year old tires more susceptible to heat failure?

Should I remove pressure from the tires on hot days? This second tire was 49 psi this morning before we left home.

Also traveled for 6 hours before the first blowout and the second happened an hour later.

I'm thinking 4 new tires may be in store...

Also did my brakes yesterday - all new drums and assemblies. The drums are also warm / hot, but not really out of what I would think is normal.

The tire also failed on the tread and not the sidewall (at least the 2nd one - the first too hard to tell.

Thanks all...

Dave
dslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #2

Could you share your starting elevation and current elevation?
I ask because I'm leaving soon to travel up from 1200 to 8000.
Then a week later, back down to 1200.
I expect pressure swings will be more troublesome than temperatures.
Based on the same trip before with no trailer.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:42 PM   #3

Your 5 yr old tires may actually be 6 or 7 yrs old. Don't know how much you travel, but if your unit's been sitting that is why the tread let loose, also low pressure makes it worse.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:42 PM   #4

Honestly you should replace camper tires every 3 years. They are cheaply made tires to begin with. On long hauls I always stop about every 2 to 2 1/2 hours just to let them cool. I also check them with a laser thermometer when I stop to see how they are running with heat. Happy trails. I hope you have better luck the rest of your trip
Sean1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:46 PM   #5

My responses in BOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslee View Post
Here I sit Roadside waiting for Good Sam to come through with a tire and someone to bring it...

And I just used my spare an hour ago on the opposite side (front axle).

Likely due to overheating - record hot temps and maybe driving a little too fast. Certainly the tire was hot when I felt it after pulling to the side.

Questions as I ponder life roadside...

Are 5-year old tires more susceptible to heat failure?Yes. OEM tires that old are more susceptible to failure for any and even no reason.

Should I remove pressure from the tires on hot days? No. Under inflated tires runner HOTTER. Keep trailer tires at the maximum shown on the tire sidewalls.
This second tire was 49 psi this morning before we left home.Was that less than the tire sidewall says for max inflation?

Also traveled for 6 hours before the first blowout and the second happened an hour later.

I'm thinking 4 new tires may be in store...Yes

Also did my brakes yesterday - all new drums and assemblies. The drums are also warm / hot, but not really out of what I would think is normal.

The tire also failed on the tread and not the sidewall (at least the 2nd one - the first too hard to tell.

Thanks all...

Dave
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #6

My 2013 JayFlight came with Blowmax STR tires. Last summer, 3 of the 4 had broken belts in them. I noticed one of them looked odd just prior to a trip- removed them all and checked them, ended up scrambling to find replacements.

I replaced them with Goodyear Endurance load range E tires. I’d suggest you do the same. Good luck!
Old 07-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero View Post
Could you share your starting elevation and current elevation?
I ask because I'm leaving soon to travel up from 1200 to 8000.
Then a week later, back down to 1200.
I expect pressure swings will be more troublesome than temperatures.
Based on the same trip before with no trailer.
Same elevation as Lake Huron (just west of Sudbury).
Old 07-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #8

Sounds like they are the original tires. In that case they were junk when you got them. If you check the date code on the sidewall you'll know how old they really are.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1980 View Post
Honestly you should replace camper tires every 3 years. They are cheaply made tires to begin with. On long hauls I always stop about every 2 to 2 1/2 hours just to let them cool. I also check them with a laser thermometer when I stop to see how they are running with heat. Happy trails. I hope you have better luck the rest of your trip
Changing every 3 years is a bit excessive but if it make you happy then that's all that matters. I run mine for 5 but they are G rated. I check temps every time I stop for fuel or a rest area. I'll run 12+ hrs if I'm putting on miles and they get to rest while I fill the fuel tank.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:35 PM   #10

The ones that are checking tire temperature could you please tell us what range the temp. should be?
Old 07-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #11

When the tires turn 3 year, I change 'em.
After buying the RV (Class C, Melbourne 24M), I purchased a road hazard warranty from the nearby Discount Tire. I hope I never need it. But the peace of mind is worth the cost. I have forgotten how much it is.
There is a code on the sidewall of the tire that tells when the tire was manufactured. Sometimes, the code is on the inside sidewall and thus is hard to find and read. But a tire store can find it for you.
In any case, after 3 years, even when the tread might have lots of miles remaining, it is wise to pop for new tires.............
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #12
Site Team

Were both on the same side? If so, that could have a bearing on why the 2nd one went soon after. It was carrying the whole weight for a while after the 1st blowout and that could have done it in.
The decision to change and when is up to you. My decision is weighed by what is on there now in addition to age.

I have never seen a trailer wear out.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Changing every 3 years is a bit excessive but if it make you happy then that's all that matters. I run mine for 5 but they are G rated. I check temps every time I stop for fuel or a rest area. I'll run 12+ hrs if I'm putting on miles and they get to rest while I fill the fuel tank.

When you buy a tire it’s already at least 6 months to a year old. So yes every 3 years to some sound excessive but if your camper sits for anytime at all the tires are getting flat spots and dry rotting. I guess I didn’t explain my stopping every 2 to 2 1/2 hours is for fuel and it rests for about 20 mins depending if the kids or anyone needs to use the restroom. No reason to push it when your traveling.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
The ones that are checking tire temperature could you please tell us what range the temp. should be?

Just depends on the outside temp. But myself I’m checking to see if all tires are reading about the same temp.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Sounds like they are the original tires. In that case they were junk when you got them. If you check the date code on the sidewall you'll know how old they really are.

So the 2nd blown tire date code is May, 2012, and I assume the first one was the same. Another is December 2015, and that one would have been changed by the original owner (we bought it off them last year. The 4th has no date code at all (though proudly 'Made in China' is there).

Now 7:40pm, and we're expecting the tire tech to be here approx 9 pm. Actually saw us at the side of the highway on his way to another call, and has to go back to the shop to get the tire(s).

The options were Carlisle or Goodride STZC, and went for the Goodride. Asked the tech to bring 4 of them and do them all at the side of the highway. Campsite booked an hour away, and a long travel day ahead tomorrow!

Life is a highway...
Old 07-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1980 View Post
When you buy a tire it’s already at least 6 months to a year old. So yes every 3 years to some sound excessive but if your camper sits for anytime at all the tires are getting flat spots and dry rotting. I guess I didn’t explain my stopping every 2 to 2 1/2 hours is for fuel and it rests for about 20 mins depending if the kids or anyone needs to use the restroom. No reason to push it when your traveling.
My S637's were 5 months old when they went on my trailer. I would never pay for a tire that was a year old and when I sold performance tires they went back to the distributor if they showed up > 6 mo old. Like I said, your call on replacement, there's no hard and fast rule. I choose to go with 5 yrs as I'm not spending 1300$ every 3 yrs on rubber.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Were both on the same side? If so, that could have a bearing on why the 2nd one went soon after. It was carrying the whole weight for a while after the 1st blowout and that could have done it in.

No, the first was the rear axle on the left, and the 2nd was the front axle on the right.

Crappy tires, period (also a euphemism for 'Canadian Tire' ).
Old 07-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslee View Post
Crappy tires, period (also a euphemism for 'Canadian Tire' ).
But only a Canuck knows that They're getting crappier too.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:20 PM   #19

You’re not the first person I’ve heard of blowing two tires on the same day. I carry two spares now, just in case.
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:09 PM   #20

How often you should replace tires depends on how much on the road traveling you do, how prudent you are with keeping the tires properly inflated, stress put on the tires as a result of speed, overall exposure to the elements, especially sunlight and UV radiation. Any one of these things in the extreme can accelerate tire degradation so there is no set timeframe on when tires should be replaced.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote