Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2021, 05:49 AM   #1

2014 Jayco 281 BHS slideout adjustment

As stated in the title I have a 2014 Jayco 281 BHS that the slideout needs adjustment. it is the small J-bed bumpout where the motor and drive assembly is under the couch. when pulled in the top does not seal tight. I use the slide-out lock to draw it in. When the slideout is out there is light coming in on the top of the seal. It hasn't leaked water yet to my astonishment, but in the bit of research I have been doing it is not proper. When the slideout is retracted it appears that it is centered in the opening and touching all the seals. I have not found any tutorials or even a model number for the slideout mechanism to be able to look at how to adjust it. There are two rollers, one on each outer edge, and then the drive mechanism in the middle. I know it needs to go up, but not sure how to achieve this.

Is there supposed to be a slight slope to the bump out for rain runoff? I can grab pics if needed. I have seen other people with similar issues including the same camper and some links to Lippert's website, but not a similar mechanism.

Any help is sure appreciated!
mwohlenhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:49 AM   #2

I'm a little late to the party, but I have the same floor plan as you and I just adjusted my slide recently. I just had to raise the one side of my slide in order to centre it in the opening, so I used a single bottle jack to support the weight of the slide (slide retracted) and loosened the bolts holding the roller bracket to the wall. Using the jack, I lifted the slide up a little bit, then moved the roller bracket up, tightened the bolts and let the jack pressure off so the slide came down and rested on the roller again, now in a slightly higher position.

If you're looking to raise the whole slide, you would need to get 2 bottle jacks, or just do 1 side at a time. There is a bracket in the middle of the slide which is part of the extending/retracting system, and it would also have to be moved upwards as well, by using the same method. It's just a matter of positioning the 3 brackets bolted into the wall under the couch.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:50 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Skybound! I tried lifting it with a jack when it was extended. I couldn't bring myself to completely unscrew the center rail. I will have to find a small bottle jack and give it a try when the slide is retracted.
mwohlenhaus is offline   Reply With Quote