Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #1

2017 Jayco whitehawk batteries not charging

Hello, I recently purchased a 2017 Jayco whitehawk 28BHKS travel trailer used. When I picked it up from the dealership everything was in working order. I stuck it in storage for 2 months and when I pulled it out it was having issues.

1) half the outlets are inop. The outlets on the left side and front.

2) It has 2 ac units. The front unit will not turn on

3) the batteries are not charging.

I noticed the outlets were not working first before I ever plugged the RV into a generator or anything else. after getting it home I hooked up the generator. I noticed the the ac unit wasn't working either. Eventually noticed the batteries were not charging. I have never taken it out, just from the dealer, to storage, to my driveway.

I checked the fuses and breakers on the panel. I could only find 1 GFCI outlet above the kitchen counter. That outlet and all others on the string are working. I've looked for fuses around the battery but see none. I checked any exposed wires I could find and none seen to be disconnected or cut.

It has the artic package, so I can't see the frame. Figured I'd ask on here before dragging over to a repair place.
Sgtgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:22 PM   #2

The batteries aren’t charging when plugged into shore power, the TV or both?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State!

I'm surprised there's no GFCI in the bathroom area, or in the outside kitchen area. When you checked the 120v breakers, did you reset them all off, then back on? You can contact Jayco Customer Service, and with the year, model, and VIN number, request schematics for it. We did that, and although they are more like drafts, they will help with what devices are in line with each other, and the circuits they're on.

Since it's got a 50 amp service, there's a possibility one leg isn't making contact. Just a few thoughts from a distance. Perhaps someone with your model will chime in.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #4

Yes I reset the breakers a few times and today just to be safe, replaced all the fuses. There is 1 receptacle under the kitchen table, 1 in entertainment system, 2 in the master bedroom (front), and one in the storage area that are not working. None seem to be GFCI. All other plugs are working.

I tried there furnace today as well. The fan is blowing, but no heat. So I'm thinking the ignition must be part of that leg as well?
Sgtgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:25 PM   #5
Site Team

The furnace power should be on the 12v side, otherwise boondockers would have no heat, without a genset. The electrical schematic I received from Jayco showed our GFCI circuit as the bath, kitchen outlet, and the two outside outlets. All the others were on a separate circuit. There will be only one identifiable GFCI receptacle (with a test/reset), and the four or five receptacles after it will be GFCI protected, also, with no buttons on them. Is the outlet in the outside kitchen live?

The furnace will probably take a few cycles off and on, at the thermostat, for it to pick up propane, since it's been unused for a while. Ours does the same thing.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post

Since it's got a 50 amp service, there's a possibility one leg isn't making contact.
That's what I would guess too. One A/C not working, no battery charging and a bunch of outlets out could be a loose leg feeding one side of the panel, or loose leg on the transfer switch. We've heard of that before from other members.

I would check the voltage at the pedestal and work back from there with a meter all the way to the panel.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote