Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #1

2018 Jayco Eagle 330RS TT - Roof seems squishy

Hello,

Just checking in with the forum to see if anyone else has noticed that the roof system on the 2018 Jayco Eagle TT seems to give a little as you walk gently across it doing routine inspections. Hopefully that's by design, but I would expect the roof to really be solid since they brag about the Magnum Truss roof system. I'm just wondering if it's only our TT or do others notice this. Also seeking advice as to whether or not this is something for me to worry about. I read so many negative posts out there for the Jayco brand it's hard to focus and stay objective - but I'm starting to experience enough negative situations with our specific trailer that I'm thinking the quality is really lacking for this model.

Thanks for any advice / knowledge you can pass on to me!
dmartfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #2

I have owned 3 trailers. 2 TT and one 5th wheel. The roofs on all match your description. I would not panic. It sounds like this is part of the engineering.

I have owned 2 jayco's, and one heartland RV. If you spend much time reading on any RV maker, you will find negative posts. Negative experiences. Owning any RV you will encounter negative situations. In my opinion, this is just part of RV ownership. RV Manufacturing is big business. Faster and cheaper is part of that business.

If you bough new, I would take some comfort in the 2 year warranty. Don't take your camper in for every minor issue. I liked to keep a list of issues that I noticed throughout the camping season and have them all addressed in December when I'm done with the camper for a couple/few months.

Your experience I do not believe is unique to Jayco. They all seem to use the same parts, same construction, same standards. Minor issues is common. Major issues is more rare.

Good luck to you!
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #3

Thanks for response

Thanks HBoy, I agree. It does seem all brands have nightmare negative posts out there. I really feel for the folks that have these horrible situations happen to them - these things aren't cheap.

I will take your advice to heart and proceed with a cautious but optimistic approach when on the roof. :-)

Thanks!
dmartfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #4

You could spread the load of your body weight using planks or possible a flat ladder...
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #5

My Eagles roof has some soft areas. I wouldn't be alarmed unless it makes a "crunchin'" sound.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #6

I do not think the trusses should flex much under your weight.Jayco replaced my entire roof just about two years into my warranty.Workman ship was horrible.Things you cannot see because they cover it all up with Dicor.I mean cracked roof decking ect.ect. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
5.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartfw View Post
Hello,

Just checking in with the forum to see if anyone else has noticed that the roof system on the 2018 Jayco Eagle TT seems to give a little as you walk gently across it doing routine inspections. Hopefully that's by design, but I would expect the roof to really be solid since they brag about the Magnum Truss roof system. I'm just wondering if it's only our TT or do others notice this. Also seeking advice as to whether or not this is something for me to worry about. I read so many negative posts out there for the Jayco brand it's hard to focus and stay objective - but I'm starting to experience enough negative situations with our specific trailer that I'm thinking the quality is really lacking for this model.

Thanks for any advice / knowledge you can pass on to me!
Ours is the same as you describe. Alarmed me at first but I have to assume there is some flex engineered into it, to cope with the twisting or torquing during travel.

Or I need to go on a diet.

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #8

Our 2017 Eagle 330RSTS is the same way and have been told by numerous sources (dealer, forums, Jayco themselves) that this is normal and to not be concerned. I am 220# give or take and I never feel like it's going to flex too much.

I too having heard about this "wonder roof" magnum truss system, expected a much more solid feeling roof.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Eagle View Post
Ours is the same as you describe. Alarmed me at first but I have to assume there is some flex engineered into it, to cope with the twisting or torquing during travel.

Or I need to go on a diet.
I got an eyeful the other day and its not surprising.I removed some crown molding on the back wall where the wiring for the clearance lights is routed.I was checking for insects because i saw a few ants crawling around.when i took down the moldings there awere screws protruding all along the back wall at the top where they screwed the roof down.They missed at least half of the fasteners.thats on top of the thin thin thin luan plywood that makes up the inside walls.the worksmanship leaves something to be desired.I guess they bang them together so fast and so light that the minimum wage workers dont give a crap.I wonder now what holds my roof on.I was thinking of adding a ladder but not now.
trento is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330rs, eagle, roof, squishy