Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #1

Generator questions

I have read here that one should not let your generator run out of fuel while operating your A/C as the surging could damage your unit. I have 2 Honda 2000I's. Is it the same using these running paralleled? If so I have a surge /low voltage protector. Could / should this be used to prevent damage? And lastly
....for those that do have and use 2 Honda 2000's running together...How long do they usually run on full tanks running the A/C
TIA
Drop
12ptdroptine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:48 PM   #2

I'm no expert, but I'm happy to share my experience.

Paralleling the two Honda 2000s makes for a great setup for a 30 amp service RV. We ran a setup like that for 5 or 6 days a month on our 30 amp trailer for about 3 years. In the summer we ran both generators and on really hot days they ran out of gas on occasion. Our Progressive Industries 30-amp EMS would cut the power when the voltage dropped and sometimes the breakers on the Hondas would trip. It never caused us any equipment problems.

The run-time would vary depending on how hot it was and how much the A/C ran. We could go 7 or 8 hours over night, but maybe only 5 hours during the day (95+ degrees).

I ran three 2000s in parallel for my 50-amp trailer with 2 A/Cs. I forgot to fill them up one day and they ran for 11 hours before I remembered! It took about 2.5 gallons to fill them up, but we were running with the suggestions below and weren't in the trailer much.

Things you can do to increase the run-time on a tank of fuel include:
turn up the thermostat so the A/C doesn't run as much
park in the shade
put out your awning if the sun is hitting the awning-side of the trailer
close the blinds
run the frig on propane
run the water heater on propane
turn off the converter during the day and flip it back on when it gets cooler in the evening (if your battery is up to the task)
2016 GMC 2500HD CrewCab SLT 4x4 Duramax
smithmdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It is not good for the Honda's to shutdown under heavy load. The electronics on the Honda's will suffer. If your RV electrical system is protected for low voltage, then your OK for the RV.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #4

There are just so many variables to really make an educated answer. I am a big advocate for the external tank the additional six gallons will give you many options for how long you run on the generators.
The largest variable is the air conditioning in my 5th wheel I could run my two 15 K AC’s the fridge! Entertainment center and the wife’s sewing machine. Energy management system prevented both compressors starting at same time.