Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2021, 08:01 PM   #1

Question 2018 Whitehawk L Dinette Came Apart - Advice

I just bought this camper and it was gently used by the original owner. No visible wear, only used it a couple of times, etc. I noticed the dinette has some major issues with the frame. I have removed it to repair and do some upgrading. I'm looking for advice and info:
  • When the slide is in, the floor at the front edge appears to sag. Is this normal?
  • Anyone else have issues with their dinette breaking and how did you fix it?
  • What are the lower horizontal pieces for? They weren't attached on both ends even!

The photos show where the staples broke through the paneling. Also the brown 1x1 that looks like two pieces is actually one piece that snapped due to the floor of the slide (at least that's what it looks like).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8280.jpeg   IMG_8279.jpeg   IMG_8278.jpeg   IMG_8277.jpeg  
DrAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAnonymous View Post
I just bought this camper and it was gently used by the original owner. No visible wear, only used it a couple of times, etc. I noticed the dinette has some major issues with the frame. I have removed it to repair and do some upgrading. I'm looking for advice and info:
[LIST][*]When the slide is in, the floor at the front edge appears to sag. Is this normal?[*]Anyone else have issues with their dinette breaking and how did you fix it?
It is normal for the floor to sag when it’s in the closed position but you shouldn’t sit on it or walk on it if there’s no support under it in the center. I believe the dinette was destroyed because of this.
When on the road I place a support underneath the dinette (seat back) location under the carpet and tape it to the floor to prevent it from moving while traveling. Don’t forget to remove it before you put the slide out.
When at home or in storage I leave this support in place and I leave it out about 1-1/2” so I see it and don’t forget to remove it before the slide goes out.
Insert the support AFTER the slide is in, lift the floor up, slide it in and your done.
Yes, that is a foam floor I laid down over the vinyl flooring.
Attached Thumbnails
461591CD-479E-43ED-8960-7AB0F71DD0D3.jpg   BC9CCC80-7AC5-47C5-BB6F-BB12DC031C12.jpg   F3317E9A-1A8A-4333-A5F9-5FD86D3B723F.jpg   02490473-C4C1-4560-BF08-821368747ED6.jpg  
Old 04-19-2021, 10:58 AM   #3

Thanks for all the details! I like your idea of making a brace. Does the foam go all the way to the wall? Why did you install it?

I’ve nearly finished rebuilding the frame. Glue, some new wood, and screws should make it last for a long time.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:36 PM   #4

I did the complete floor and the reasons being: it’s quiet, easy on your feet, that 4:00AM call is much warmer to walk on, if you accidentally drop a bottle of wine it won’t break ( ask me how I know that one).
Attached Thumbnails
97647C88-F18E-4F8E-A7BF-666424018F26.jpg  
Old 04-25-2021, 06:39 PM   #5

Got things rebuilt and started to install. Before I attach to the floor, I wanted to get more input.

The right side is raised off the floor when the slide is closed but it helps to have it shimmed. The left side slide floor is nearly touching the trailer floor. Why is that? What should be holding the floor up? The center of the slide makes sense to sag some given the span.

There’s no screws going from the bottom of the entertainment center into the slide floor, so there’s a large gap when the slide is in. This closes up when slide is extended.