Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #1

Looking for resources for furnace air flow problem

Hi everyone, thanks for reading this. *New to travel trailers, with a new to me 2010 Jayco Jay Feather 29L. Superb condition!

I know there are many complaints about airflow being poor in TT's but I'd like to see a) if there is just poor air flow, or if it an actual problem and b) if it's just poor airflow due to design, how to improve it.

Basically, there are 4 floor vents. The one in the back bunk room works TOO much (it's right beside the furnace) and the rest of them are not functioning. Perhaps a TINY amount of air flow coming through. So the kids in the bunkhouse will be boiling hot, and the rest of the trailer will be very cold.

Would love to have ideas or feedback on how to go about improving air flow to the unit or troubleshooting to determine if there is some ducting loose, or blocked etc.

Any ideas, links to other posts etc (as I've searched already) would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
Greenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenic View Post
Would love to have ideas or feedback on how to go about improving air flow to the unit or troubleshooting to determine if there is some ducting loose, or blocked etc.
Thank you!
There is a vent available that can be closed. I would get one of those and adjust as needed.

I think it's 3x10...

https://www.amazon.com/10-Floor-Regi...9389595&sr=8-2
Old 04-25-2021, 04:28 PM   #3

If you can locate the furnace, check to see if all of the ducting is connected.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Remove the floor vent covers, then use a small mirror & flashlight to confirm that the duct work in both directions isn't compromised.

Sometimes the aluminum duct work can get compressed at the factory effecting air flow...., mine did.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:52 PM   #5

In doing work on our Seneca, I have found a duct not connected to the furnace, 2 flexible duct runs that were stepped on or crushed by wiring laying over it and several flexible duct runs that were about 10th of ducting all coiled up and pinched where a 3’ straight run would work. Under the bed where I found the crushed section, I also found a tee with a line attached and just laying under the sealed off area....it was never even connected to any vent. Any excess length that coils around is flow and heat loss. We also had a very hot bathroom as it was the closest to the furnace, I installed a tee and added a additional vent into the living area and installed and adjustable vent on the outlet in the bathroom. It takes some work but the heating is much better and evenly distributed. Here are some pics of what I found and after some cleanup.
Attached Thumbnails
3FDF3F66-F612-4E59-937B-553EFD44CB8A.jpg   1F8A0CEF-C815-468B-A2CF-F17279C9F4A6.jpg   1B842BA0-BAA0-40ED-BA41-43E7DC2910C3.jpg   E58BB4C5-4A25-4473-A8E0-AA4D6544ED4C.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Remove the floor vent covers, then use a small mirror & flashlight to confirm that the duct work in both directions isn't compromised.

Sometimes the aluminum duct work can get compressed at the factory effecting air flow...., mine did.

Bob
If you can’t see very far to see if there is blockage, take a shopvac and see if you can blow air through the ducts. Usually the ducting goes in a straight line from register to register.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:27 PM   #7

Thanks all for the replies so far. RustyNuts, very tidy work! thanks for the pics. I've just got the TT here from storage so I'm going to go investigate to see if there is some sort of disconnect of the ducting and go from there. And also, that closable vent is a good idea, I'll get one of those too. My concern now is being able to access the duct work to verify whether its a design issue, or if there is indeed some ducting that has come loose. I'll go take a look right now and see!
Old 04-25-2021, 06:16 PM   #8

Hey Route 66 Traveler.....and anyone else who might know how to access the ducting in the floor without ripping it all out?
I have several circular vents (bunkhouse, bathroom and front master and they all seem to be quite good but the 2 rectangular vents (living room/kitchen) have barely any at all, and those are the 2 I'm trying to investigate. Ducting can be seen running down the cabinets and is generally accessible but the rectangular ones I'm at a loss.
Sorry for the newbie questions.....I'm really new! haha!
Old 04-25-2021, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenic View Post
Hey Route 66 Traveler.....and anyone else who might know how to access the ducting in the floor without ripping it all out?

Sorry, not familiar with your trailer. Do you have an enclosed underbelly? Might be able to access it from the bottom. Or get one of those small inspection cameras that connect to your cell phone and see if you can locate a blockage.

https://www.amazon.com/Efanr-Endosco...9397014&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mini+insp...ref=nb_sb_noss

Old 04-25-2021, 06:56 PM   #10

Good idea, yes the belly is enclosed and while some of the ducting is visible along the sides, the floor ducting won't be accessible and will have to be inspected via one of the options that have been mentioned.....either camera or mirror and light (which I will try first). I will post again if there is any progress tomorrow and maybe this will be useful for someone down the road as well. Thank you!

Tags
furnace air flow