Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2019, 02:00 PM   #1

2019 X213 Blown 30a fuse, no charge?

so we just got our 2019 X213 and love it. Got home and backed into it's new spot in the barn, unhooked the hitch plug, and tried to use the power jack to detach the hitch...but no power - not even enough to power the three little LEDs on the front of the jack. The camper has two new deep-cycle batteries. Had all functional lights/turn signals etc during the demo and on the way home, but soon as it was unplugged from the truck the camper was totally dead. Well crap

Okay - so plugged it back into the truck...and power was back - presumably getting power directly from the truck's battery via the big 7-pin plug...but man that's a heckuva load on the truck's alternator system. Unplugged again - no trailer power. Swell -

Started looking around and eventually noticed two circuit breakers, a house electrical box, and a fuse receptacle, and fortunately(?) the 30a fuse within it was blown. Pics below -

Okay - replaced the fuse and full trailer battery power was back, unplugged from the truck. This wasn't exactly how we wanted to begin ownership of the camper but okay.

When getting the demo at the dealership the camper was plugged into shore power and everything worked normally. If the 30a fuse was blown during the demo then I have to presume the camper does not need that 30a fuse for power. If the 30a fuse was not blown during the demo and the fuse blew in transit home then the batts were either nearly fully discharged during the demo and did not receive any recharging in transit home, but I have to believe the batts would have received some recharging in transit but there was none when we arrived.

That all said, there are some scenarios I'd like to get a second opinion on please.

The 30a fuse is required for:

1) recharging the batts from the tow vehicle/hitch power
2) recharging the batts from shore power
3) recharging the batts from solar power
4) recharging the batts from generator power (via shore power terminal)
5) battery power to the camper (disconnected from the tow vehicle)
6) not necessary when using shore power...but won't recharge the batts...correct?
7) dry camping (battery only) power - no shore power, no tow vehicle power

Lastly...when connected to the tow vehicle, is the 12v pin within the hitch connector powering 'the camper'...or is it sending 12v power to recharge the batts? I'm just trying to better understand how the camper had power when connected to the tow vehicle but also had that blown 30a fuse...?

I've tried to locate specific wiring diagrams for the camper without success, and the dealer just can't say and recommended I just test things to find out. Eventually I'll develop my own wiring diagram for the camper, and I'll likely relocate the circuit breakers and fuse holder - they're in a very vulnerable location under the front edge of the chassis - not exactly awesome locations nor wiring prowess for something this expensive...but as usual I can improve it.

Cheers,
- Sam

here's the 30a fuse -

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/a...1&d=1554494398

another view from above -

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/a...1&d=1554494398
Attached Thumbnails
30a fuse 1.jpg   thumbnail_20190405_124045.jpg  

2015 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD: Hemi/8-sp, full tow pkg/brake
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:10 PM   #2

I blow the same fuse in my 2017 x213 fairly often. Tried for a while to figure out why it was blowing with no clear results. Ultimately a small box of 30amp blade fuses to keep in the trailer is cheap insurance. Could maybe up the fuse to a higher amperage, 35 or 40amp maybe, but not sure how good of an idea that would be.
wootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #3

A lot of times if you hit the up or down limit on the tongue jack, that will blow that 30 amp fuse.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:56 PM   #4

thanks for the replies. If that fuse 'required' for any type of battery recharging?

2015 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD: Hemi/8-sp, full tow pkg/brake
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
A lot of times if you hit the up or down limit on the tongue jack, that will blow that 30 amp fuse.
Like 2nOZ said. The only time I blow that fuse is if I hit the up or down limit on the tongue jack.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #6

I have an 2018 X213. I have blown that fuse 3 times this year. I notice if I put the slide in and out it blows the fuse so I also ensure it is hooked up to electric. I am going to try a 30 Amp resettable fuse and see how that works. They are sold on Amazon.
My 2016 White Hawk I have yet to blow a fuse or even trip a breaker. The slide goes in and out on the battery with zero issues.
Glasbergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #7

I have a 2015 White Hawk 27DSRL and it blows that 30Amp Fuse whenever I max it out on the tongue Jack. I keep a medicine bottle full of 30Amp fuses in the battery compartment for "emergency"replacement situations. I just went on a dry camping trip this past weekend and I noticed we were not getting any power for lights and slide-out! We figured the battereis were charged since we had it plugged in before our trip. Well, after opening up our battery box, the fuse box had "blown up" inside the battery box! Our battery box is white. I had replaced our 12v battery to 2 6V Trojans. I was able to put the 2 wires together that had originally connected to the fuse to get power to our RV. The problem now is, how do I repair and are there any other options to bypass that 30Amp fuse? I am thinking that 30AMp fuse is needed for a reason. But why is it an issue, especially with these Jaycos?
Livermore, CA
Elefantdude is offline   Reply With Quote