Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2022, 07:16 AM   #1

2022 Jay Flight 34RSBS

Picking up my new 34RSBS this Saturday after trading in my 2020 28RLS. I have a pretty extensive PDI checklist but is there any suggestions on particular items I should be paying close attention to with this new unit? Our 2020 had multiple issues, including poorly supported shower floor, which lead to a broken drain and significant water damage, an improperly installed fridge which lead to more water damage and numerous other build quality issues. Just want to catch any known issues early if I can.
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not aware of any specific items related to the 34RSBS...., but you could compare your PDI list with the following JOF PDI list for any additional PDI items:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...d-36094-5.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:20 PM   #3

Delivery rejection

Went to pick up new trailer today and came home empty handed. Seams were poorly sealed with silicone missing in multiple locations. Large opening where foam spray should have been used to fill gap around sewer drain pipe left exposed. Slide misaligned, requiring adjusting. Damaged screen on window. Apparently the shower drain was checked but I still see pink antifreeze in cavity under shower and significant flex in the shower floor, which leads me to believe that the shower is leaking. I will inspect again when we make our next attempt to pick up, once these other issues are sorted out. Exposed screws on slide tops where they torn through the tape covering them. Plastic underbelly not attached properly at back of trailer. Does Jayco no longer employee people in their quality control?
Old 01-15-2022, 06:19 PM   #4

If there are that many issues with the trailer I would run, not walk, away from the deal. You found a lot of issues, what about the ones you have yet to find? You would be better off looking elsewhere….

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnka trk View Post
snip...... Exposed screws on slide tops where they torn through the tape covering them.....snip
If Jayco used a thin black tape it won't last long and 'future' exposed screw heads will eventually damage the rubber horizontal wiper slide seal if they replace it with the same tape. I replaced the cheap black tape with EternaBond Sealer Tape, much more robust and reliable.

During your 2nd visit confirm (slides extended) that all outer slide wiper seals make contact with associated slide surfaces, and that the two top 'corner' vertical/horizontal seals overlap preventing moisture intrusion. Don't recall if the PDI's addressed this.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-15-2022, 07:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Does Jayco no longer employee people in their quality control? Most are not major issues but they could have been avoided had a little care been taken by Jayco and the dealer during their PDI.
Unless things have change, they usually pull one or two rigs and do an in depth QC. If they find major problems then they go back over all from that run. With that said, your dealer should have corrected those items before you were called to pick it up in my opinion.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
If Jayco used a thin black tape it won't last long and 'future' exposed screw heads will eventually damage the rubber horizontal wiper slide seal if they replace it with the same tape. I replaced the cheap black tape with EternaBond Sealer Tape, much more robust and reliable.

During your 2nd visit confirm (slides extended) that all outer slide wiper seals make contact with associated slide surfaces, and that the two top 'corner' vertical/horizontal seals overlap preventing moisture intrusion. Don't recall if the PDI's addressed this.

Bob
Thanks Bob,
Good advice. They used a white tape but I’ll be going over it with durabond. I believe the issue can be resolved with a slight slide adjustment. All outstanding items are minor in nature and all things that I can do myself but in -20 temps I prefer that the dealer does it in their heated workshop. Every year I inspect all seams and recaulk where needed and check for potential rodent entry points and ensure the no-vacancy signs (expansion foam) is in place. Our previous Jayco purchased only 2 years ago was a lemon so I’m being extremely vigilant with this inspection before taking it home. Hopefully the dealership does their job this time and completes the repairs that I pointed out.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Unless things have change, they usually pull one or two rigs and do an in depth QC. If they find major problems then they go back over all from that run. With that said, your dealer should have corrected those items before you were called to pick it up in my opinion.
I agree about the dealer not doing their job. The frustrating part is that I did a PDI at the time of the sale and provided them with the information and pictures to ensure they did the repairs before we did the pickup appointment and they still didn’t do the repairs. I’ll be having a chat with the service manager and general manager when this is all done.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
If there are that many issues with the trailer I would run, not walk, away from the deal. You found a lot of issues, what about the ones you have yet to find? You would be better off looking elsewhere….
Although numerous, the issues were mostly minor in nature and fixes that I can do myself but in -20 temps I prefer the dealer do them in their heated workshop. The only potentially major issue is the poorly supported shower floor and potentially cracked plumbing which will be fixed before I take delivery. The shower floor and drain is a known issue with current Jayco units and one that many people likely have but are not aware. Unfortunately by the time people become aware the damage will likely be extensive. I know this because we just replaced our two year old Jayco for that reason.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:45 AM   #10

I'm planning a trip from south Alabama to Maine this Summer around end of July first of August. I welcome any suggestions of route to take, places to stay and visit along the way or any other help anyone can provide.
Fmlatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:05 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fmiatham,

Welcome to JOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmlatham View Post
I'm planning a trip from south Alabama to Maine this Summer around end of July first of August. I welcome any suggestions of route to take, places to stay and visit along the way or any other help anyone can provide.
Just a thought.........; You may want to consider starting a 'trip planning' specific 'thread' over in the "Campgrounds and Attractions" or "Campfire Chat" sub-forum for enhanced viewing/response potential. The subject matter of your post may get buried in this particular thread subject.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-29-2022, 10:38 AM   #12

Update:
Second PDI today and we came home empty handed once again, as the leaking shower drain was not repaired and other new issues were found by me when inspecting the trailer today. Loose wires hanging down under slide with exposed wires and screw heads snapped off on the bottom seal of one of the slides. PDI manager came out and apologized and was obviously embarrassed. Apparently he will be personally supervising the repairs and dong the final inspection himself before we are contacted for the third delivery attempt. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-29-2022, 01:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Update:
Apparently he will be personally supervising the repairs and dong the final inspection himself before we are contacted for the third delivery attempt. Fingers crossed.
You ARE going to go back for a third try?? I doubt if I would have gone back for even a second look. Have you been up on the roof and checked things over there?

Finding things you have found is good, what about things that are hidden from view? Scary thought....

Old 01-29-2022, 06:44 PM   #14

Quote:
You ARE going to go back for a third try?? I doubt if I would have gone back for even a second look. Have you been up on the roof and checked things over there?

Finding things you have found is good, what about things that are hidden from view? Scary thought....
Thanks. I’ve been on the roof, under the carriage, behind ever hatch and completed as thorough an inspection as is possible. I’m very familiar with the brand, quality and reputation. In general rv quality has declined during the past two years for a variety of reasons. That being said, I’m not willing to settle and will ensure everything is to my standard before taking delivery. I’m posting this experience to bring awareness of the issues so others will be just as diligent when buying an RV these days. All the issues I found were minor in nature with the exception of one which I will ensure is repaired to my satisfaction as well as the other minor issues. Be cautious folks, they don’t build them like they used to.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:10 PM   #15

I admire your patience and perseverance! On your next inspection take a wind speed gauge and a thermal thermometer to measure the airflow from the ceiling AC vents. The airflow should be almost the same in each. Measure the heat coming out of the furnace registers and listen to the furnace as it runs for any unusual noises.

If there are still issues with a soft floor in the shower OR any signs of leakage at the drain have them documented in writing an take photos with your phone. Look for signs of water marks on any wood under the shower…use a flashlight. Ask the dealer if you do purchase the unit and two weeks later discover a serious problem how soon you can bring it back for repairs and how long the repair will take?? Keep in mind any issues will have to be approved by Jayco BEFORE the dealer can proceed with repairs. How many RV’s do they have there now waiting for repairs and how many techs do they have currently working on them?

Once you hook it up and drive it out of their driveway any issues become YOUR problem. Wish you lots of luck!

Old 01-30-2022, 09:46 PM   #16

Quote:
I admire your patience and perseverance! On your next inspection take a wind speed gauge and a thermal thermometer to measure the airflow from the ceiling AC vents. The airflow should be almost the same in each. Measure the heat coming out of the furnace registers and listen to the furnace as it runs for any unusual noises.

If there are still issues with a soft floor in the shower OR any signs of leakage at the drain have them documented in writing an take photos with your phone. Look for signs of water marks on any wood under the shower…use a flashlight. Ask the dealer if you do purchase the unit and two weeks later discover a serious problem how soon you can bring it back for repairs and how long the repair will take?? Keep in mind any issues will have to be approved by Jayco BEFORE the dealer can proceed with repairs. How many RV’s do they have there now waiting for repairs and how many techs do they have currently working on them?

Once you hook it up and drive it out of their driveway any issues become YOUR problem. Wish you lots of luck!
Thanks again for the suggestions. I did check the furnace and AC outputs and was satisfied with their functioning. The trailer is new so the only liquid under the shower drain is a small amount of antifreeze, which of course if not repaired properly could end up being a large amount of water damage and mold. I will not be pulling it off their lot until I’m 100% satisfied with every issue.
Old 07-22-2022, 04:52 PM   #17
Dom

York Beach Maine would be a great stop. There are a couple or three campgrounds there. The most convenient to the shore and attractions is Burnetts campground. It is small, very friendly, and well kept. 2-3 minute walk to downtown and the beach.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:06 AM   #18

It’s been a year since I finally took delivery of the above-mentioned unit, so I thought I would provide an update while enjoying my Sunday morning coffee.
After six delivery appointments, I finally accepted the unit. All repairs were completed to my satisfaction with the exception of the shower floor supports, which I remedied on my own by installing a number of additional floor joists under the shower floor pan.
Since taking delivery I’ve had a few water leaks that required tightening of the connections and one major discovery. After dewinterizing, sanitizing and thoroughly flushing all water lines and tanks, we would still occasionally smell antifreeze in the water. Eventually, while looking for more water leaks, I discovered that the plumbing for the washer rough in, terminated inside the ceiling of our pass through, which trapped antifreeze in those lines. I rerouted the lines to make them accessible and installed valves to allow me to purge the lines. A dangerous issue if you are drinking water from your taps, which we do not. I’ve also repainted the underbody with rustproof paint to stop the rust that was already starting to form on the frame. Did a few mods but I’ll cover those in another thread. Overall we are happy with this new trailer and look forward to enjoying it for many years. Happy camping folks.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:01 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

tank trk,

We appreciate the follow-up...., and your due diligence prior to accepting the TT with your detailed PDI checklist greatly reduced 'camping headaches' during the first year of ownership.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-23-2024, 05:55 AM   #20

It’s been 2 years since we took delivery of our 34RSBS and I’m happy to report that after the initial problems that were eventually resolved prior to us taking delivery, we have had no major problems. This trailer has turned out to be our favourite so far.
I did reinforce the bed platform and built a support wall under the bed that separates the under bed storage from the exterior storage bay. I also added a second shelf in the cabinet above the side counter in the kitchen, which made me wonder if it was missed during the build.
All in all we are extremely happy with the 34RSBS. It is now on blocks at our seasonal site on Georgian Bay where we live in it for the majority of the spring summer and fall and DW is now looking at smaller trailers for future road trips. I’m considering just renting a trailer for the few weeks a year that we do an extended road trip rather than buying.
I hope everyone is enjoying the winter months. Can’t wait for camping season again!!