Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #11

We ran this generator this summer with the coleman mach 13.5k A/C. It would not start the A/C until I installed the hard start cap. Now it starts it up but it does hesitate for a 1/2 second or so. Once the A/C compressor shuts off and comes back on while cycling the generator takes a hit and the A/C fan stops blowing until the generator catches up. This usually happened overnight when I was also charging the battery. I never had a chance to turn off the battery charger in the 17c so it will have to wait til next summer. I hope it makes a difference though because it certainly is not good for the A/C or the generator.

GoldMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMiner View Post
We ran this generator this summer with the coleman mach 13.5k A/C. It would not start the A/C until I installed the hard start cap. Now it starts it up but it does hesitate for a 1/2 second or so. Once the A/C compressor shuts off and comes back on while cycling the generator takes a hit and the A/C fan stops blowing until the generator catches up. This usually happened overnight when I was also charging the battery. I never had a chance to turn off the battery charger in the 17c so it will have to wait til next summer. I hope it makes a difference though because it certainly is not good for the A/C or the generator.
Operating conditions (temperature, altitude, other stuff running) will affect the situation. The only thing I can't run while running the A/C on generator is the microwave. Lights, television, water pump, etc. don't seem to cause an overload but my camping has been at sea level or pretty close to it.

2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #13

we ran at 400ft 85 to 95f. we could lights and TV too, that is until a/c cycled, then it powered off. Batteries were low and charging though.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #14

Quote:
we ran at 400ft 85 to 95f. we could lights and TV too, that is until a/c cycled, then it powered off. Batteries were low and charging though.
One issue with respect to cycling would be the time period between the compressor shutting off and turning back on. If the pressure hasn't had time to equalize (a few minutes) it may be too high for the available power to get the compressor started again.

Beyond that, from trailer to trailer, even with the same size A/C, various loads can be the difference between the generator getting the compressor going versus the power demand tripping the overload protection. So far I haven't had any issues with A/C operation, including cycling, as long as I'm not running the microwave. It sounds like you'll need to figure out a power management system that eliminates the problem or invest in a high output generator.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
One issue with respect to cycling would be the time period between the compressor shutting off and turning back on. If the pressure hasn't had time to equalize (a few minutes) it may be too high for the available power to get the compressor started again.

Beyond that, from trailer to trailer, even with the same size A/C, various loads can be the difference between the generator getting the compressor going versus the power demand tripping the overload protection. So far I haven't had any issues with A/C operation, including cycling, as long as I'm not running the microwave. It sounds like you'll need to figure out a power management system that eliminates the problem or invest in a high output generator.
Do you keep your battery charger circuit on?
Old 12-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Do you keep your battery charger circuit on?
Yes, the battery charging circuit is still on although I don't think it presents a significant load for the generator.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #17

Hi 33. Can you help me with the ADAPTOR? Since there is no 30amp plug which adaptor are you using? I have both a <30a to 20a> and a <30a to 15a> for plugging into home. I was told not to try to run the A/C off of an extension cord even on the 20a adaptor. So how can you run an a/c unit off of this genny when there is no 30a plug?
MTDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #18

Some generators do have a 30A outlet, if the generator is large enough. If your generator doesn't you can pair two generators with an adapter that has a 30A outlet. Honda and Yamaha does this.
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #19
Site Team

25BHS with Coleman 13,500 BTU A/C: will Yamaha EF2400iSHC run it

I know several who run a 13.5 ac on a honda 2000i. It has a 20a outlet. Any other load will shut the gen down.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Yes, the battery charging circuit is still on although I don't think it presents a significant load for the generator.
If your battery charger is running at full , perhaps 45 amps, you are pulling 600 watts, which at 115 volts is over 5 amps.

That's a huge portion of Genset capacity.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote