Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #1

26BH Bathroom Layout Mod

Our 2017 26BH is still pretty new to us. Only four trips in it so far. But, my wife decided on the first trip that she didn't like the limited space in the bathroom area. I have to agree...it's rather phone booth-ish (if you remember those). You get out of the shower and the bathroom door's right in your face.

She said she'd like if she could get out of the shower, have plenty of room to shimmy her towel back and forth to dry off (okay guys, pay attention, okay?), and put on makeup at the sink area and still have some privacy from the neighbors without having to close the blinds.

Whew. Okay, dear, I'll fix it for you. But could you do the towel shimmy thing a little first?...there ya go.

I found ceiling track that I really like from a company called Remcar. From Amazon, along with fasteners, cars, and hooks to complete. The great thing about the remcar stuff is it's inexpensive, it can easily be bent over your knee to a tighter radius than the plastic track, and the cars travel on the track very smoothly.

We took out the curtain for the bunk area, as you might notice in the photos, but they wouldn't interfere with this installation. It just happens that we took out the top bunk. Mods, mods.

The curtain is a shower curtain for about 15 bucks. No sewing was necessary. The Remcar hooks attach just like shower curtain hooks. Easy. We didn't bother with any Velcro or strap to secure the curtain when not in use. Also didn't see any need to have it snap in place when closed. It seems to pretty much stay where you put it.

This is a mod I really like, too. Psychologically, it makes the bathroom seem much bigger. Loses the phone booth thing. I thought about removing the door, but it's not in the way, and by leaving it intact, you have the option of just using the door to take a pee.

Sorry, my camera lens doesn't have a sufficient wide angle lens to convey the extra space in the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0460.jpg   DSC_0461.jpg   DSC_0462.jpg   DSC_0463.jpg  
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #2

That's pretty smart I'll admit but just not sure I like seeing the curtain hanging there.
Btw nice camper. I have the exact same one!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #3

[QUOTE=Siamese;555249]Our 2017 26BH is still pretty new to us. Only four trips in it so far. But, my wife decided on the first trip that she didn't like the limited space in the bathroom area. I have to agree...it's rather phone booth-ish (if you remember those). You get out of the shower and the bathroom door's right in your face.

She said she'd like if she could get out of the shower, have plenty of room to shimmy her towel back and forth to dry off (okay guys, pay attention, okay?), and put on makeup at the sink area and still have some privacy from the neighbors without having to close the blinds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Siamese, I think your making a big mistake adding this shower curtain just for a little extra room. Now what I would have done is bought some carpeting she could stand on to dry off and a mirror so she could apply her makeup but from my perspective she doesn't need makeup!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 08-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #4

I'm not a fan of the small bathroom either but we are not in the camper on a regular basis so I deal with it. Our 2013 has a privacy curtain running from the forward bunk wall to the left of the fridge. Looks like Jayco did away with that in later models.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #5

Nice work!!!! I'd like to see some more pics of the bunk area after top bunk was taken out if you wouldn't mind. Any issues taking the bunk out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_26 View Post
Nice work!!!! I'd like to see some more pics of the bunk area after top bunk was taken out if you wouldn't mind. Any issues taking the bunk out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The bunk comes out easily with one exception I'll get to.

It's basically a 2x2 frame sheathed with 1/4" ply top and bottom. I went at the ply with a claw hammer. Think I pried off the bottom first. Once the sheathing was off, I used a hand saw to cut down the middle of the 2x2's that cross the bed, and yanked them out.

The perimeter 2x2's are screwed into studs with large square drive screws. Three of the walls are easy. The wall with the windows is a bear, because the screws are screwed in from the OUTSIDE of the wall before the siding goes on. Yeah. I used a hammer, chisel, and a small pry bar to carefully reduce the 2x2 to splinters. When that's gone, the screws are still sticking out of the wall. The break off easily it you use channel locks tight against the wall, and wiggle them. They'll break of flush.

You could cut up some strips of 1/4" ply and cover it with foam and fabric to cover the screw holes. Or do what I did.

I still had a tube of Dap biscuit colored tub and tile caulk left over from when I did the same thing to our previous trailer 17 years ago. Just a small amount in each hole works very well. Unless the light's real bright, nobody knows.

I put up shelving on the back wall. Found the studs and put up some Closet Maid wire shelving from Home Depot. Put the track up, snapped in the shelf supports, and the 48" shelves fit perfectly with no cutting. Easy. I won't store my anvil collection up there, but it's great for my wardrobe and blankets, etc..

My wife, Snorezilla, gets the queen up front, and the aft bunk gives me some isolation. We picked the 26bh floor plan knowing we'd use it as a couples trailer with the top bunk removed.

With the top bunk removed, you have the option of sleeping on a single or double mattress. I'm liking single, with the extra stored at home.

It's remarkable how this turns that area of the trailer into another "room". A good place to retreat with a book or a guitar.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #7

[QUOTE=Tunce the traveler;555273]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Our 2017 26BH is still pretty new to us. Only four trips in it so far. But, my wife decided on the first trip that she didn't like the limited space in the bathroom area. I have to agree...it's rather phone booth-ish (if you remember those). You get out of the shower and the bathroom door's right in your face.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Siamese, I think your making a big mistake adding this shower curtain just for a little extra room. Now what I would have done is bought some carpeting she could stand on to dry off and a mirror so she could apply her makeup but from my perspective she doesn't need makeup!
Oh, yeah, now that's the phone booth thing.