Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #1

26bh charge rate

hey guys im gearing up for a long trip out west. does anyone know what amp rate the TT charges the house battery when pluged into shore power or a generator? I have a generator and Im trying to figure out if i should get a separate battery charger that can charge faster than pluging the trailer into the generator. also how much amperage is to much when quick charging the average TT battery?
xcav8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #2

Don't recall the specific rate, but the converter is "smart" and varies the voltage/amperage depending on what the battery needs. Bulk charge, float charge, desulfate, etc. I only use the onboard converter to charge the battery.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #3

I hope this isn't TMI...

If your '08 is like our '15, the make and model of the converter is shown under the cover where the circuit breakers and fuses are located. You can then look up the converter online to find what you're looking for... maybe.

Many chargers, and mine my trailer, are 3 stage; bulk, absorption and float stages. My problem is that my OEM charger in my trailer virtually NEVER goes into the bulk stage. Bulk is the stage with the highest current flow and specs for your converter will probably show the max current flow. Mine, IF it goes into bulk mode, it stays there MAYBE two seconds; not nearly long enough! I am not alone; I believe this is a common issue for WFCO converter/chargers.

If I plug my trailer into a/c power (home or campground) for 24 hours or better, my two batteries will get fully charged. Plugged in for 18 hours MIGHT be OK, but I haven't tested that.

I also tried charging my batteries with my generator and a portable battery charger that had a 50amp BOOST setting but ran into two problems: 1) After ~20min the charger would overheat and shut down or 2) The voltage would hit ~16.2v which is above my comfort range.

In the end, after days of trying various combinations to charge my batteries using our generator, I used the trailer's converter/charger and ran the generator for about 2.5 to 3 hours everyday just before sunset.

My opinion, either a very good quality portable charger is needed to charge the batteries or a very good converter/charger is needed for the trailer. I think the price is about the same for either one ($150 to $200 range).

Bottom line: Before our next planned boondocking trip, I'm going to swap out my WFCO for a Progressive Dynamics PD9260C as suggest by Roy Ken.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote