Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #1

29QBS owners?

Looking for real world experience with the 29QBS, doesn't appear there are too many threads that even discuss this model.

I was looking at a 2014 SLX, then was talked into a 2015 Jay Flight. As I learned more, I realized the 26BHS didn't have a long enough bed. Started looking at the 28BHBE with a walk around RV queen. Then I realized for a couple dollars more the 29QBS has a true 80" queen bed and still has a bunk setup in back.

I'd like to hear from owners about how they like the floorplan and any problems they have encountered.
Any mods they have done (for example putting a true door to separate the bunkroom, rather than a curtain.
The bathroom looks TIGHT... is it manageable?
Is the outdoor kitchenette useful or just for show?

Thanks all! This purchase started out in the $16K range and now we are well above that!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #2

29QBS is a new floorplan, it replaced the 29QBH that has been around for several years. I have a 29QBH and am very happy with it. There are some differnces between the two, but still very similar.

From that what I see the 29QBS has outdoor kitchen, only 3 bunks and full 60x80 queen. OUr 29QBH has no outdoor kitchen, 4 bunks with storage under both that is accesessable via an external door, and the 60x74 RV Queen.

I would really prefer to have a full queen, but didn't want an outside kitchen and need 4 bunks.

To answer your question specifically I think outside kitchens are for show -- and they show well in the showroom. For us any fridge that is 120VAC only is useless, we rarely camp with full hookups and I wouldn't run my generator 24/7 to have an outside fridge work. Secondly I we often camp in bear country, so I don't want food to be prepared there -- for us we either set up a camp kitchen with propane stoves and BBQ a reasonable distance from the trailer, or everything is prepped and cooked indoor.

The curatin on the bunk room has been fine, I thought about an accordian door but so far the curtain hasn't been an issue.

The bath is a big improvement over our previous 26BH so no complaints there either....in fact I really am happy that one can sit on the throne and not have their knees hit the wall in front.

The vent in the bunk room did need to be addressed becasue it let to much light in to early in the morning and our kids where waking us up to early.

For our family of 5+ (+ becasue the kids always seem to have a friend with us) is has been great. More clothes storage in the bunk room would be nice, but with some storage totes and hanging shelfs we have made it work quite well.

What are you towing with? This is a big heavy trailer, my has ~1000 + lbs tongue weight.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:21 AM   #3

Thanks clubhouse, I figured it was a new floorplan by the lack of info. Interestingly enough it only has a 685 tongue weight dry (11% tongue weight) and a GVWR of 9500 lbs. We never carry more than about 1000 lbs of stuff when we camp (including battery and propane), so I figure 7500 to a max of 8000 lbs trailer weight. Food storage appears to be over the axles, rear bedroom clothing is behind the axle. I figure we can keep it around 11 or 12% tongue weight for a max of about 960 lbs tongue weight, but more likely 825 lbs. I have a 2010 Tundra with 1500 lbs payload and its me, my bride and 2 small kids. Thankfully we don't have any real mountains on the eastern half of the US!

No boondocking or bear country camping for me either. I hope the outdoor kitchen stove proves useful at least. We like to cook tacos and spaghetti while camping... don't necessarily like smelling them for the rest of the week though!
Old 08-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #4

I guarantee the loaded tongue weight will be more than 825. Mine had the same published dry 685 tongue weight, actual ship weight had the tongue over 700. After adding 2 GRP 24 batteries and boxes, I was over 800. Then the weight of the WD hitch was another ~65. I was 865 before I packed a single piece of clothes or item of gear and/or food.

The Tundra is a very capable truck, but I don't it's a good fit this trailer. You are that close to the limit of the truck, and haven't considered all the stuff that finds it's way into the truck bed; bikes, coolers, generator & fuel, firewood, etc.

I wouldn't want to tow mine with a Tundra.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #5

The 2014 29QBH shows a dry 800 lbs hitch weight. Hopefully the 29QBS will be lighter...
Old 08-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #6

You are correct -- I was mistaken when I was looking at my paperwork from my 2012.

The only thing that I can say is don't go by the published weights, they are notoriously inaccurate, as are a lot of things. It’s shameful the RV industry works this way but they do.

If you haven't done so yet, weight the Tundra with family and fluids on board, plus any extras you typically would carry and see what actual remaining cargo capacity it. It very well could be different than the sticker on the driver door jam.

Secondly, look at the actual trailers on the lot and find the factory attached yellow ship weight stickers to start you math from. If it isn’t on a lot, call around and find one that is and ask if they will email a pic of that sticker. I was able to get them sent to me.

With these two numbers you can begin more accurate estimates of what 29QBS might weigh, and what tongue weight will be including batteries and WD hitch -- Jayco already includes the weight of LP tanks and fuel.

A camping friend of our has a '07 Tundra Crew Max that we used once to move my trailer a couple miles through town. That Tundra's 5.7L and 4:30 rear end certainly had the power to drag my trailer -- but that rear-end had a significant squat. Additionally, if I recall the factory Class IV receiver was limited to 1000LBs in WD mode, we certainly exceeded that and would not to want to on a regular basis. However if the new models 29QBS have sub-1K tongue weight, or your Tundra has a more capable receiver, that might not be an issue.

If you are comfortable with the numbers, I think the floor plan is a great family layout that isn't 36'+. We have never felt cramped and there is plenty of places to store stuff so it doesn’t get messy during the trip – my personal pet peeve.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #7

My buddy actually has a hitch weight scale. I plan to borrow it and take it to the Hershey RV show next month and weigh the rigs with options/batteries/etc and get a more realistic weight. I believe it is rated for 1400 lbs with WDH and 1000 w/o... but not entirely certain.

I really do need to get it weighed though, you raise a good point.