Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #1

Antenna Won't Retract

We lived in the Eagle for several months during renovations on our new to us home. When are you closed it down the antenna would not retract. My wife climbed up on top, she's more the monkey than me, and saw no problems. Any ideas? And I admit I don't believe I ever lubricated it, although we used it for several Winters when we used to Winter over in the Phoenix area.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
We lived in the Eagle for several months during renovations on our new to us home. When are you closed it down the antenna would not retract. My wife climbed up on top, she's more the monkey than me, and saw no problems. Any ideas? And I admit I don't believe I ever lubricated it, although we used it for several Winters when we used to Winter over in the Phoenix area.
Is this the hand crank antenna mast? The one that's pretty clearly labeled "Lubricate gears twice a year"???

Check this video:

Personally I don't think you have to be quite as thorough as the video. In fact, just did it myself yesterday. But be sure to use a silicone spray lubricant, not regular WD40. I used a WD40 silicone spray.

My thinking is that you may be OK just lubricating the base plate and the gears, without pulling the pins and extracting the vertical worm gear. But that's up to you. Doing the whole thing showed in the video took me about 15 minutes total.

If that's not your antenna, sorry to have wasted your time.

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:36 PM   #3

Rkresge, yup, that's the one, ergo, my mea culpa with the " admittedly.". DW lubricated it thoroughly. But I am not positive that's the problem as it cranks down about a fourth of the way before stopping. Does that still sound like a lube problem?

And I'll look at the video now, thanks.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:44 PM   #4

okay, I've looked at that video. Very clear and concise. I'll get on that just as soon as I get the camper turned over on its side so that I can reach stuff.
'14 Denali XL
Old 06-01-2019, 07:45 PM   #5

Are you sure you have it centered and it's not hitting on one of the ears on the saddle that it settles into? Could also have debris in the worm gear.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Are you sure you have it centered and it's not hitting on one of the ears on the saddle that it settles into? Could also have debris in the worm gear.
I agree - if it's not aligned correctly, you can't lower it the whole way. And there certainly could be some debris in the gears. Gotta check that.

Roger

Old 06-01-2019, 08:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
okay, I've looked at that video. Very clear and concise. I'll get on that just as soon as I get the camper turned over on its side so that I can reach stuff.
Hmmm... I haven't tried that approach, turning the camper on its side to work on the stuff up on top. Let me know how that works out!

Roger

Old 06-02-2019, 06:59 PM   #8

Debris might easily be the problem. Crazy frequent wind here in the desert. More like can't go up there, I have a worker who is here frequently. I'm sure he will do it and I will let you know how is that works out.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #9
Site Team

I'm relieved to hear your not gonna flip it on its side. I wouldn't want to be the one to explain the grass stains on the side!!!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote